Which TV should i buy

• Samsung LE40M87BDX

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Toshiba 40XF355D

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 92943

Hi guys. I want to buy a new TV this weekend but can't decide between 2 screens.

Samsung LE40M87BDX £749.99 from Empiredirect
http://empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SAM-LE40M87BDX~dept~ctv~subdept~LCDTV~brand~samsung.htm

Does 1080p/24fps 3 HDMI, Freeview ect

Toshiba 40XF355D £979 from Toshiba Store with free wall bracket
http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/pages/lcdplasma-regzaxf-40xf355d?opendocument

Also does the ful 1080p/24fps

Which screen should i go for? Both the same size and almost spec but the Samsung is cheaper as well as having an extra 5000 contrast ratio over the Toshiba.

I'm also very interested in the GAME mode which is apparently better for the XBOX 360

I watched these side by side on HD, the Sammy juddered a lot, Tosh was nice and judder free, the XF355 is not full 24p, but from the looks of it does a better job than the Sammy

Not what i wanted to hear. :D

I've heard alot of good stuff about the Samsung yet hit and miss stuff about the Toshiba for not being true 24fps.

Plus it's a whopping £250 more

I vote for a Sony KDL-40V3000

Tosh XF series is fantastic but the ZF would be the one to get over the XF so i would not buy it. Why not the Z series instead. Is it just because you like the frame. The Z packs a better punch and a 3&" costs £800.00

Sammy good set with its faults...

Read the Z series forums and the Samsung ones and decide there.
There is some software issues and hardware handling issues with samsung.
However they seem to do regular updates on firmware.

I'm at breaking point over this.

The samsungs seem to have had their issues fixed from reading threads but i don't want and older dodgy one delivered.It's got Game mode which is optimised for xbox360 and i play on that all the time. It's £250 cheaper

The Toshiba is probably being replaced in March with a ZF series. Costs more, doesn't have true 24fps apparently

I don't like SONY. If you can show me a super duper screen of there's at 40" for under 1k, i'm willing to have a look

The 40V3000 Sony is great tv around the quality of 40XF355 if not better

Can i have some more reviews on the Samsung please guys:thumbsup:

Sony KDL-40V3000 Review:
http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Sony_kdl-40v3000.htm

Toshiba 40XF355D Review:
http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/toshiba_40xf355d.htm

Samsung LE40M87BDX Review:
http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/samsung_le40m87bdx.htm

Not considering Plasma?

Out of those three to my eyes the Toshiba offers the better image. Blacks seem to be superb for an LCD.

Samsung is cheaper as well as having an extra 5000 contrast ratio

Real world contrast ratios and dynamic contrast ratios are two completely different things.

hahahah chris you love that TV so much. Every where i look on here your posting that. :D

Thats because usually the budget is up to 1k and in my opinion is the best option at this money!

I've read alot of reviews tonight and dispsite both screens performing well, i'm goin to save myself £250 and get the Samsung.

What Hifi rate the screen, good reviews on Amazon as well as the review posted on the previous page.

Plus i love the glossy screen and the idea od GAME mode which will be cool on my XBOX 360

Where you getting it from mate? Looking for a 40" 1080p LCD myself...

Hi guys. I want to buy a new TV this weekend but can't decide between 2 screens.

Samsung LE40M87BDX £749.99 from Empiredirect
http://empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SAM-LE40M87BDX~dept~ctv~subdept~LCDTV~brand~samsung.htm

Does 1080p/24fps 3 HDMI, Freeview ect

Toshiba 40XF355D £979 from Toshiba Store with free wall bracket
http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/pages/lcdplasma-regzaxf-40xf355d?opendocument

Also does the ful 1080p/24fps

Which screen should i go for? Both the same size and almost spec but the Samsung is cheaper as well as having an extra 5000 contrast ratio over the Toshiba.

I'm also very interested in the GAME mode which is apparently better for the XBOX 360

You could be waiting a while if you try to get the Samsung from Empire Direct

see: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682008

The Samsung N87 variant is very good. Had mine a week and the pick quality on standard stuff is great, just need some HD feeds for it now!

The 40V3000 Sony is great tv around the quality of 40XF355 if not better

Chris,

Is there a case anywhere that you do not recommend a Sony set?

They make great TV's but there are other options out there, in this case every review I have seen rates the Samsung F series as being a better picture than the V and W3000 and at the moment it sits perfectly between the 2 on price.

Have you seen every TV that you are giving advice on?

I find myself wondering about your objectivity and also wondering whether it's possible that Sony are paying you (as goes on with other forums on other products on the Internet).

As for the original question on set I would recommend finding a retailer with lots of TV's and looking at both, I'm beginning to find my mind changing on an almost daily basis as regards which set I purchase.

Once I can drive (as I'm sat here recovering from a major Knee operation - finally lost the leg brace yesterday) then I will be going to JL, Comet, Currys and Sound and Vision with a pen and paper and making notes given that each showroom will have different lighting and setup.

I'll then start bartering and probably end up buying from JL as a friend of a friend works there so I will split the staff discount with them.

I may even end up buying a Sony.

BB

I own Samsung M87 and F86 40" - it still good buy... I bought from Dabs.com and using Pioneer DVR-LX60D that Ive set at 1920x1080p - nice when watch playback either dvd or hard drive recorder into 1080p also PC set at 1920x1080p display screen size also you can get nice stand from www.standland.co.uk -- I bought 2 of black oval stand that look so cool (fast delivery as I ordered the black oval on last Monday and came on Thursday -with 3 days free delivery) :)

I own Samsung M87 and F86 40" - it still good buy... I bought from Dabs.com and using Pioneer DVR-LX60D that Ive set at 1920x1080p - nice when watch playback either dvd or hard drive recorder into 1080p also PC set at 1920x1080p display screen size also you can get nice stand from www.standland.co.uk -- I bought 2 of black oval stand that look so cool (fast delivery as I ordered the black oval on last Monday and came on Thursday -with 3 days free delivery) :)

Do you notice much of an upgrade from the M87 to the F86?

Chris,

Is there a case anywhere that you do not recommend a Sony set?

They make great TV's but there are other options out there, in this case every review I have seen rates the Samsung F series as being a better picture than the V and W3000 and at the moment it sits perfectly between the 2 on price.

Have you seen every TV that you are giving advice on?

I find myself wondering about your objectivity and also wondering whether it's possible that Sony are paying you (as goes on with other forums on other products on the Internet).

As for the original question on set I would recommend finding a retailer with lots of TV's and looking at both, I'm beginning to find my mind changing on an almost daily basis as regards which set I purchase.

Once I can drive (as I'm sat here recovering from a major Knee operation - finally lost the leg brace yesterday) then I will be going to JL, Comet, Currys and Sound and Vision with a pen and paper and making notes given that each showroom will have different lighting and setup.

I'll then start bartering and probably end up buying from JL as a friend of a friend works there so I will split the staff discount with them.

I may even end up buying a Sony.

BB

Well,I dont have any reason to tell you lies.I dont work for sony nor sony pays me.Sony does not have the need to pay on someone to support her.When I suggest sth I must have test it on good conditions before I post it.So I have had the ability to see the tv's I am interested in.I also have a look at reviews but trusty ones not small and very very draft and also the customer rating and issues mark.Why to suggest a product that has 75% issues,than one that has 25% for example?Anyway by reccomending I dont of course push sn to buy the sony,if he/she see sth else which like he gets it.In this case all of the mentioned tv's are more than great.But the depth side results to differencies,and even not small.I reccomended the sony because of its overall mark.Exept the performance alone there is and the price factor and the issues factor and even the deals available.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom