Which Tv Please

gibbsy09

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi will be buying either one of these on my argos card buy now pay later, been nearly 14 years since I've bought a new TV got an acoustic solutions just now and it will either turn on or it won't lol, so sometimes it's an early bed lol, just can't make up my mind though probably my problem, but I just don't trust all reviews, now when ever I'm buying anything, I tend to look at the one star ratings, and work up to five, probably a nuts way to go about buying something but I can't help it lol, anyway here's what I've narrowed down to, so if you've had positive experiences with any of the brands, or like anyone better opinions welcome

1) Hisense Roku 65 Inch R65A7200GTUK Smart 4K LED Freeview TV ( 2021 model)
2) Bush 65 Inch Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR DLED Freeview TV (2020 model)
The hisence is £10 more, if any other suggestions, other than those 2 welcome also, just hopefully argos has it, just seems there is an awful lot that can go wrong with smart TV, and it seems a bit of a lottery.
Main use, movies and football, Thanks.

Hisense. Bush will be a low end Vestel rebadge.
What’s your budget?
Neither will be much good for getting a cinematic experience or motion handling for football unfortunately, but it depends how fussy you are.

How close are you going to sit to the big screen, poor quality material close up will look poor on a low tier TV.

Argos is also a poor retailer for TVs as they only provide a one year warranty (unlike Richer Sounds, John Lewis, Costco which give 5 or 6 as standard). Depending on how long the credit agreement is, you may still be paying after the warranty has expired!

Hisense. Bush will be a low end Vestel rebadge.
What’s your budget?
Neither will be much good for getting a cinematic experience or motion handling for football unfortunately, but it depends how fussy you are.

How close are you going to sit to the big screen, poor quality material close up will look poor on a low tier TV.

Argos is also a poor retailer for TVs as they only provide a one year warranty (unlike Richer Sounds, John Lewis, Costco which give 5 or 6 as standard). Depending on how long the credit agreement is, you may still be paying after the warranty has expired!
Hi thanks for the input, wasn't aware on the warranty thing, I thought the manufacturer decided on that and not the retailer, never really thought about that way, and I certainly didn't think you could get as long a warranty as that with any retailer, without taking out extra cover, as for my payment plan it's usually a year buy now pay later, as for budget it was maybe £500 to £600, but that was in view with my argos card, I've not got the cash.

As for me I am fussy, but that's not to say i wouldn't be happy with a reliable TV with good contrast etc, I'm probably only 4 foot away from TV when viewing so quite close i guess, as i said right now i have an acoustic solutions 42" HD ready, and if I could replicate the picture I have on that I think I would be happy, but I think you might be saying if I go up in size to 65", the quality might not be as good as the TV I have now, is that correct? but I wouldn't mind if you suggested a few, but if they are up at the £1000 mark, I'm not willing to pay that much mate, Thanks.

The warranty that certain retailers offer extra is a promotional thing. So its not provided by the manufacturer usually. They bundle 4-5 year warranty policies from Domestic and General in their sales.

I personally think there's no point buying a TV now with a 500-600 budget, this is because you'll be taking too many steps back to make one or two forward. The reason is largely in part to HDR, which despite being supported on every TV and his dog now, does not look good on cheaper TVs.

I look at a new TV purchase like this:

A new TV will give you the opportunity to enjoy 4k content, which will be a big improvement over what you've been using before. Sadly, you need to spend around 800-1000 on a 55" really to enjoy this content without picture problems.

What a new TV will not do, is polish everything you watch and make it look better. If you are still using the TV a lot of the time for things like regular broadcast TV, a new TV is almost certainly going to be disappointing. Again, the more money you spend, the better upscaling a TV will have. But generally its just a waste to buy a new TV if you're thinking its going to make everything look better. Some stuff will look better on your old TV.

There are ways to avoid HDR, but its complicated and involves using an external device for smart duty. Overall you're just better saving up longer and buying a better quality TV.

The warranty that certain retailers offer extra is a promotional thing. So its not provided by the manufacturer usually. They bundle 4-5 year warranty policies from Domestic and General in their sales.

I personally think there's no point buying a TV now with a 500-600 budget, this is because you'll be taking too many steps back to make one or two forward. The reason is largely in part to HDR, which despite being supported on every TV and his dog now, does not look good on cheaper TVs.

I look at a new TV purchase like this:

A new TV will give you the opportunity to enjoy 4k content, which will be a big improvement over what you've been using before. Sadly, you need to spend around 800-1000 on a 55" really to enjoy this content without picture problems.

What a new TV will not do, is polish everything you watch and make it look better. If you are still using the TV a lot of the time for things like regular broadcast TV, a new TV is almost certainly going to be disappointing. Again, the more money you spend, the better upscaling a TV will have. But generally its just a waste to buy a new TV if you're thinking its going to make everything look better. Some stuff will look better on your old TV.

There are ways to avoid HDR, but its complicated and involves using an external device for smart duty. Overall you're just better saving up longer and buying a better quality TV.
Thanks all good advice, but I still believe you can end up spending £1000, on a good brand and still end up with a crappy picture, you just need to look at reviews to verify this, I also believe they're cramming too much into them as well, you read endless reviews, and these common problems keep showing up, freezing crashing, not connecting to wifi, or intermittent, and in my opinion, these problems aren't isolated to just cheap TV's, that's why I think it's still a bit of a lottery, I'm going to show my age here lol, but the quality just isn't there anymore in a lot of consumer items, just my opinion though.

Bottom line do I fancy a new TV yes, but could I stick with what I've got yes again, but unfortunately I can't it has a fault, when I turn it on there is a little noise inside, and then I know it will fire up, if I don't hear that noise two seconds later the blue stand by flashes constantly and it won't fire up, so I have to stand at the TV till i hear that noise lol really bloody annoying, I know it's the power supply board but it's just too old to get a replacement.

Just as a side note though I agree the content I will watch won't always be top notch so I'm not obsessed with crystal clear, I've got an android and use that most of the time, so good picture reliable is what I'm after, I would be interested in hearing the work around to avoid HDR?

the work around basically involves turning off HDR, for an external device; which you can do in the settings of the tv. But you can’t do this for any inbuilt apps, catch up services or broadcast. So it would work with something like a Roku stick: with catch up services, or possibly a set top box (free view, sky).

Everything around 4K/HDR is about feeding the TV good quality content; i have a very good, albeit few year old tv.
If I watch BBC1 on broadcast (non-HD) the image is very poor, boarder line unwatchable for me.
If I watch BBC1 HD, it is decent.
But if I watch Netflix 4K, or Amazon 4K, it’s stunning.

Argos is a bad place to buy from, warranty, selection and cost too. You might be able to get credit from other retailers, or even via a credit card with 12/18mths free credit, giving you much more choice.

If you do buy a cheap tv from Argos, then I would go super cheap with low expectations and save the money.

Yes, no matter what you spend there's always downsides. But not as big as when you are spending less, rather than more. The downsides are usually quirks with software, and small picture issues. But the difference between a cheaper TV and a more expensive TV is huge, so much so that you'll actually get a worse HDR picture with a cheaper TV than an SDR picture.

If you have no TV to use currently you're between a rock and a hard place, not only does your budget not really get you anything decent, but it also won't stretch very far at the moment because prices on TVs are currently high.

I'd try instead to see if you can still find a retailer selling a decent TV from last years range at a discount like the Hisense U7Q or Sony XH9005/XH9096/XH9296 as a refurb.

These two will get a lot brighter than other options at similar money, but you may still want to pair the TV with an external smart device like an Apple TV or similar to avoid HDR being too dark or washed out in some titles.

@pastrybloke19 already made some of my points above, and I certainly agree with what he says about buying cheap. If you do, then it makes sense to get something cheap since spending a bit more isn't going to really get you a good TV until you reach mid range models.

Yes, no matter what you spend there's always downsides. But not as big as when you are spending less, rather than more. The downsides are usually quirks with software, and small picture issues. But the difference between a cheaper TV and a more expensive TV is huge, so much so that you'll actually get a worse HDR picture with a cheaper TV than an SDR picture.

If you have no TV to use currently you're between a rock and a hard place, not only does your budget not really get you anything decent, but it also won't stretch very far at the moment because prices on TVs are currently high.

I'd try instead to see if you can still find a retailer selling a decent TV from last years range at a discount like the Hisense U7Q or Sony XH9005/XH9096/XH9296 as a refurb.

These two will get a lot brighter than other options at similar money, but you may still want to pair the TV with an external smart device like an Apple TV or similar to avoid HDR being too dark or washed out in some titles.

@pastrybloke19 already made some of my points above, and I certainly agree with what he says about buying cheap. If you do, then it makes sense to get something cheap since spending a bit more isn't going to really get you a good TV until you reach mid range models.
the work around basically involves turning off HDR, for an external device; which you can do in the settings of the tv. But you can’t do this for any inbuilt apps, catch up services or broadcast. So it would work with something like a Roku stick: with catch up services, or possibly a set top box (free view, sky).

Everything around 4K/HDR is about feeding the TV good quality content; i have a very good, albeit few year old tv.
If I watch BBC1 on broadcast (non-HD) the image is very poor, boarder line unwatchable for me.
If I watch BBC1 HD, it is decent.
But if I watch Netflix 4K, or Amazon 4K, it’s stunning.

Argos is a bad place to buy from, warranty, selection and cost too. You might be able to get credit from other retailers, or even via a credit card with 12/18mths free credit, giving you much more choice.

If you do buy a cheap tv from Argos, then I would go super cheap with low expectations and save the money.
So I had a look at Costco and they do offer 5 year warranty, but what does that warranty entail, I had a look at there terms and conditions and I couldn't see the warranty explained, if you've dealt with them before do you know how the warranty works, cause sometimes they're not worth the paper printed on, and they try and dodge you, not trying to be a party pooper lol, just want to get the facts straight,

I was thinking could I take out extra cover with argos, cause the hisence is guaranteed for 2 years, so with cover for 3 years, that would give me 5 total, I know I keep harping on about argos, but I'm caring for my dad and not working at the moment so I wouldn't get credit so I don't have that option, or do you still feel I would be paying over the odds with argos? I have compared brands on argos, and Costco eg, samsung or sony and they seem to have the same specs, only different model numbers, is that where argos falls down they stock lesser or inferior models, but still at high prices, cause I didn't think the model matters, just the specs, just a though really? Lastly why are TV's more expensive just now cause I wasn't aware is it because the Christmas period or is it to do with the pandemic, or Brexit? Thanks

Here's the actual link to the hisence https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9402843, with cover for £149 gives me five years, if you wouldn't mind looking, or is it just rubbish, I didn't realise you were as much of a geek on TV's lol, no offence intended, you've got a lot of good stuff and I'll look through it.

Last edited:
Costco Warranty - Not completely sure on the terms, but they are a reputable company with good customer service so would expect them to swap like for like, or refund your money.

Argos Warranty - Be careful, I don't think you'll get that warranty on top of the manufacturer warranty. It will be separate, meaning only an extra year.

TV Prices - TVs are released in a cycle each year, and its not until around Black Friday/Xmas sales that they tend to be priced reasonably, up until that point its not really worth shopping for a TV. A good time to start shopping is then, but the very best deals are usually found on last years stock around spring each year as retailers clear their shelves for the new models released in summer.

Costco Warranty - Not completely sure on the terms, but they are a reputable company with good customer service so would expect them to swap like for like, or refund your money.

Argos Warranty - Be careful, I don't think you'll get that warranty on top of the manufacturer warranty. It will be separate, meaning only an extra year.

TV Prices - TVs are released in a cycle each year, and its not until around Black Friday/Xmas sales that they tend to be priced reasonably, up until that point its not really worth shopping for a TV. A good time to start shopping is then, but the very best deals are usually found on last years stock around spring each year as retailers clear their shelves for the new models released in summer.
Thanks that does surprise me I was thinking they would bump the prices up at Christmas, cause everyone wants a new toy for Christmas lol, it does make sense for spring however, thanks for the heads up with the warranty though if all your getting is an extra year for £149 then that's quite sneaky, I'll look into the warranty more, just on the subject of retailers being reputable, I had a little look on John Lewis today and someone posted a review, that there TV broke down after three months, and they took it away to be repaired, the repair shop was supposed to be local, but the guy still waited a while to get it back.
My point is though that there is no way I would accept a repair on my brand new TV after just three months I would demand a refund or replacement and he had five years warranty, I think that's why I like argos to a certain extent if it breaks they change it no questions asked, but it shouldn't break in the space of year lol, but I hope you can kind of see my point.

Depends how the cover works, with the free extended warranties shops like John Lewis/Richer they 'bolt on' warranty policies to the standard warranty of the product provided by the manufacturer. Usually the manufacturer has a 1 year warranty itself, so the shops only help you with their policy after the manufacturer warranty has expired.

Manufacturer warranties will almost definitely not cover you for a replacement after just 3 months. Its normal for them to offer repair, and for you to be without the TV for its repair duration within this time.

Outside of the manufacturer warranty then its up to the terms of shops warranty, since then the manufacturer has nothing to do with helping you. In most cases they will see if the TV can be repaired, and if not they will offer a replacement.

If its like the Argos plan, then the cover you buy starts from day one, then the terms in the first year will likely be down to manufacturer warranty, or insurance depending which one you choose.

There's nothing outside of the shops return policy (usually 30 days) that means you'll be entitled to a replacement.

@Dodgexander can you please recommend me a 65 inch TV for both movie watching and gaming with Hdmi 2.1 vrr,allm,freesync with a budget of £1150 please.

Thanks in advance..👍

@Dodgexander can you please recommend me a 65 inch TV for both movie watching and gaming with Hdmi 2.1 vrr,allm,freesync with a budget of £1150 please.

Thanks in advance..👍
TVs in the top section of my guide here:

No 2021-22 models yet as they are too overpriced to recommend presently.
You're budget is quite low to expect a good all-round TV with HDMI 2.1, you may have to consider instead going for a better quality TV and losing HDMI 2.1.

TVs in the top section of my guide here:

No 2021-22 models yet as they are too overpriced to recommend presently.
You're budget is quite low to expect a good all-round TV with HDMI 2.1, you may have to consider instead going for a better quality TV and losing HDMI 2.1.
Thank you👍

Regarding the broken TV, sorry for jumping to here, couldn't see an option to post a pic.
Usually if there are lines on the screen it needs a new panel, so will probably be expensive to change. In some cases it can be related to the main board or T-con board though.
This is the pic, for £30 maybe worth a punt lol, could just sell on for spares if panel
254243380_4308840982548196_1510508370832171825_n.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom