1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which? TV out Or Scar?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by OldSkoO1, Dec 7, 2004.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Guys

Ive bought a Denon 500SD and want to connect my NTL box to the surround sound and i want the best possible audio quality. I dont have optical out or phono out.

From knowledge/experience which would be better :

- Using a scat to phono cable OR
    - Using the TV phono out to denon

OR, would there be little difference? DTS Neo 6 cinema seems best to the untrained ear but lets face it, it aint 5.1 in all its glory therefore im after the best solution to the problem.

Ive got a good quality scart connecting to tv from ntl box but im worried of deteriation in signal quality through the sony audio out phono sockets. Am i paranoid?

Thanks in advance!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Surely the NTL box will have a pair of phono sockets for connecting audio out to an amplifier or is it an old analogue box. This is the best way of connecting the cable sound to the amp.

If you cannot connect directly your only alternative would be to use the audio out phono sockets from the TV to the Denon.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    Pace removed the phono outputs on the later digital cable boxes to save money and support calls for the cable companies.

I put my TeleWest cable through the TV (Sony) over SCART and use the phono outputs from the TV into my amp.
    If you use the analogue inputs that correspond to your DVD digital input (i.e. red and white phonos to the DVD input, optical or digital coax from DVD to the DVD input) you should find the digital signal over rides the analogue when the DVD is on. This gives you Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 when you're watching DVD and reverts back to Pro-logic from the analogue inputs when the DVD player is off. That means less switching at the amp which makes the system easier to use for the rest of the family.

The output level of the phonos on my Sony are controlled by the headphone setting in the audio menus - worth knowing if you TV works the same way.

4. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thats excellent

Ty sir :thumbsup:

5. garymeg

garymeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I you useing a surround sound amp you will nead to pick up the audio from off the scart lead not the tv audio out as it will only be stereo output

6. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i have scarts from my
    NTL box AV1 to TV av1
    NTL box AV2 to DVD av1
    DVD av2 scart to TV
    DVD optical to AMP
    DVD analog to AMP
    DVD COMP to TV

the sound comes from the NTL box via the scart into the DVD,then to amp through optcal and analog phono's
    using these scarts THOR and IXOS

hope this helps

steve