• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Which TV manufacturer does 'artificial motion' the best?

Skyfall74

Established Member
Which TV manufacturer, based on your experience, is best at Motion Frame Interpolation (MFI)?

Not to insult anyone's intelligence on this forum, but MFI is a generic term used to describe the processing of additional frames into 'real' frames to make movement on the screen look more natural and realistic.

An order of best, 2nd best, 3rd best from each poster with justification would make very interesting reading.

AndyRg4

Established Member
Sony have always been best at motion on TVs. Out of the rest of the big 4 (Samsung, Panasonic and LG) I would rate Panasonic and Samsung as fairly equal, although some Samsung sets suffer from judder when watching 24p content. LG aren't really contenders in the TV market unless you look at their OLEDs, at which point Sony still comes out on top

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
As above sonys motion if trying to add frames that are not in the source material is the best, then Panasonic, then Samsung, then LG in my opinion, I don't use any kind of motion processing on my oled and the image is stonking

Skyfall74

Established Member
So LG appears to bottom of the heap!

AndyRg4 when you say "unless you look at [LG's]... OLED's", do you mean their MFI is significantly better on their OLED TV's compared to their LCD TV's?

Furryhobnob, you rate LG's MFI very low despite having an LG OLED, would you mind explaining further please?

It's just that I have my eye on buying an LG OLED.

I currently have a 55" Philips and have the natural motion on full as I like the SoE and don't mind a few artefacts here and there - it's a price worth paying for smooth motion as far as I'm concerned.

However if LG's TruMotion is really that bad/worse than Philips it would make me think twice about buying an LG OLED tv.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member

AndyRg4 when you say "unless you look at [LG's]... OLED's", do you mean their MFI is significantly better on their OLED TV's compared to their LCD TV's?

Furryhobnob, you rate LG's MFI very low despite having an LG OLED, would you mind explaining further please?

I currently have a 55" Philips and have the natural motion on full as I like the SoE and don't mind a few artefacts here and there - it's a price worth paying for smooth motion as far as I'm concerned.

However if LG's TruMotion is really that bad/worse than Philips it would make me think twice about buying an LG OLED tv.
I have an lg oled as I don't have any motion processing on, I turn it all off as I prefer a more natural look to what I'm watching,trying to add frames that arnt there baffles me in all honesty

AndyRg4

Established Member

I don't mean that their motion on their OLED is any better than their LCD, just LG LCD TVs in general are poor compared to the other brands as they focus on the OLED.
To be honest, if you have the motion enhancement on full then any of the big 4 brands will perform as good, if not better than your current set.
I notice the new B7 LG OLED has just had a price reduction down to £2400 for the 55" which is very good value for the performance of the set

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I notice the new B7 LG OLED has just had a price reduction down to £2400 for the 55" which is very good value for the performance of the set

Not particularly, last years B6/C6 models can be picked up for ~£1500 and don't differ much in performance.

Philips POS901 OLED got praised in reviews for having better motion handling than LG's models, John Lewis have it for £2,500.

AndyRg4

Established Member
Not particularly, last years B6/C6 models can be picked up for ~£1500 and don't differ much in performance.

Philips POS901 OLED got praised in reviews for having better motion handling than LG's models, John Lewis have it for £2,500.

I have had the chance to see last years LG OLEDs against this years (and by their own admission) and can safely say that last years suffer from massive black crush, leaving absolutely no detail in near black scenes. This years have much better shadow detail, which is why I would consider this years B7 to be better value, even though it is more expensive.
Granted I have not seen the Phillips but as it is using a 2016 OLED panel from LG, I would hazard a safe guess that it too would suffer from the same black crush as it was inherent to the panel, or the processing.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I have had the chance to see last years LG OLEDs against this years (and by their own admission) and can safely say that last years suffer from massive black crush, leaving absolutely no detail in near black scenes. This years have much better shadow detail, which is why I would consider this years B7 to be better value, even though it is more expensive.
Granted I have not seen the Phillips but as it is using a 2016 OLED panel from LG, I would hazard a safe guess that it too would suffer from the same black crush as it was inherent to the panel, or the processing.
They suffer black crush on the 1,2 and 3 percent ire on the out the box settings, when set up correctly they don't suffer any black crush at all, the 2017 models are just a little better out the box than the 2016 oleds that's all

AndyRg4

Established Member
They suffer black crush on the 1,2 and 3 percent ire on the out the box settings, when set up correctly they don't suffer any black crush at all, the 2017 models are just a little better out the box than the 2016 oleds that's all

Yes, set up correctly they are better than the out of the box settings, but even LG themselves admit that black crush was an issue with their 2016 panels (even when calibrated by a professional), whereas their 2017 panels are much better in that regard and are also brighter giving a better contrast range.
However I feel we are digressing from the original posters question of motion capabilities, which in the grand scheme of things LCD motion interpolation is better than anything OLED from any manufacturer can achieve at the given moment. OLED is in its infancy however so will improve year upon year and with all the OLEDs out in the market now, I would still say that Sony has the best motion out of all the OLEDs whether you use the interpolation or not

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom