• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Which TV is better for occasional gaming and watching movies.

megadelayed

Novice Member
Hi
I am about to buy one of these two TV's

Panasonic L42E6B 42'

Or

Sony KDL-42W654 42'

I have been trying to read some reviews but there isn't much on these 2 models, and the reviews i have managed to find aren't very clear e.g. some say the Panasonic is a IPS panel while some say it is VA.

Also i have heard that the W653 doesn't really have 200Hz, so would the Panasonic be smoother?

And if you guys have any better suggestions on what i should buy for under £500, that is at least 42' then I am open for advice.

Thanks

EDIT: I have also now seen the samsung UE40F6320 40'. Is this TV as good if not better than the one listed above? If so it is worth dropping down 2 inches to get the Samsung?

And also the LG 50PN650T? This seems like a decent TV but is it actually a 1080p plasma? And why is it so cheap compared to the ones listed above?

Last edited:

Ossie77

The 42" E6B has a VA panel. Only the 32" E6 has an IPS. I guess because Panasonic thought that the 32" size might be put in a kitchen.
The W6 is best for gaming out of most TV's last year.
I guess that the E6 edges it for general PQ but I can't really back that up! I do know that the E6 has deeper blacks than the W6 so probably has better contrast. I had the 42" E6 for a bit and know that it is a very, very good TV.
Another option might be the Samsung F5000 46" which is about £450 on amazon. PQ is good but not as good as the Sony and Panasonic. There is a panel lottery with the F5000 though. A good F5000 is a terrific TV but a dud is, well... a dud!
The best 42" for the price last year was the Panasonic ST60 (plasma) but I think they are pretty much all sold out. If you can find one its worth paying a little bit extra for.
Panasonic are selling refurbished stock on ebay at the moment. There are some terrific deals to be had but obviously there is certain amount of risk involved. However, I trust Panasonic and would feel quite confident about buying from them. Others might vehemently disagree! They have a GT50 42" for sale at £529.

Panasonic VIERA TX-P42GT50B 42" Smart 3D Plasma TV Full HD 1080p Freeview HD | eBay

I don't know much about the LG plasma. LG are generally considered behind Samsung and Panasonic in plasma manufacturing. It will have a highly reflective screen which might be a pain.

Also, the W6 only has 2 HDMI ports. The E6 has 3. The new Sony W7 (which apparently has very similar PQ to the W6) has 4 HDMI ports...but its £599! Kinivo make a very good HDMI switch.

megadelayed

Novice Member
The 42" E6B has a VA panel. Only the 32" E6 has an IPS. I guess because Panasonic thought that the 32" size might be put in a kitchen.
I guess that the E6 edges it for general PQ but I can't really back that up! I do know that the E6 has deeper blacks than the W6 so probably has better contrast. I had the 42" E6 for a bit and know that it is a very, very good TV.
Another option might be the Samsung F5000 46" which is about £450 on amazon. PQ is good but not as good as the Sony and Panasonic. There is a panel lottery with the F5000 though. A good F5000 is a terrific TV but a dud is, well... a dud!
The best 42" for the price last year was the Panasonic ST60 (plasma) but I think they are pretty much all sold out. If you can find one its worth paying a little bit extra for.
Panasonic are selling refurbished stock on ebay at the moment. There are some terrific deals to be had but obviously there is certain amount of risk involved. However, I trust Panasonic and would feel quite confident about buying from them. Others might vehemently disagree! They have a GT50 42" for sale at £529.

Panasonic VIERA TX-P42GT50B 42" Smart 3D Plasma TV Full HD 1080p Freeview HD | eBay

I don't know much about the LG plasma. LG are generally considered behind Samsung and Panasonic in plasma manufacturing. It will have a highly reflective screen which might be a pain.

Also, the W6 only has 2 HDMI ports. The E6 has 3. The new Sony W7 (which apparently has very similar PQ to the W6) has 4 HDMI ports...but its £599! Kinivo make a very good HDMI switch.

That VIERA you linked was sold out when I went on it which was a shame :(
So i guess for general usage the W6 is my best bet?

smiff

I have been researching these two for the past month or so and have decided on the E6B. Just waiting on what I hope will be a special offer around Easter :0)

From what I can tell there isn't much between them with the exception the Sony may be slighty better if you do a lot of gaming. However I doubt the average person could actually tell the difference. With these two it May jaunt boil down to which one you prefer the look of :0)

megadelayed

Novice Member
I have been researching these two for the past month or so and have decided on the E6B. Just waiting on what I hope will be a special offer around Easter :0)

From what I can tell there isn't much between them with the exception the Sony may be slighty better if you do a lot of gaming. However I doubt the average person could actually tell the difference. With these two it May jaunt boil down to which one you prefer the look of :0)

Well I quite like the look of the Sony's bezels but I'm not sure which smart interface I would prefer though.

smiff

I probably wouldnt use the smart features much bar Netflix which I tend to use via the PS3 at the moment. May use screen mirroring at times as well.

I cant see me using the smart features much after the initial "play". I may be wrong but I think the Panasonic home screens have been well reviewed.

megadelayed

Novice Member
I probably wouldnt use the smart features much bar Netflix which I tend to use via the PS3 at the moment. May use screen mirroring at times as well.

I cant see me using the smart features much after the initial "play". I may be wrong but I think the Panasonic home screens have been well reviewed.
Ah so the smart ffeatures aren't really going to be used that much then if a PS3 can replace all of it.
So in that case I'm guessing that my best bet is going to be the Sony then?

smiff

Depends on what you want use them for? For me it's only Netflix to be honest. I wouldn't be signing into social media or using YouTube etc. I don't really use the catch up services either.

How do you think you will use the smart features?

megadelayed

Novice Member
Well iPlayer is probably it
This is because this TV will probably be most used for either my parents watching dramas and movies and some occasional gaming on the PS3.
My dad will probably watch some F1 on iPlayer because he usually isn't at home when it airs.

petes67bird

Standard Member

Very informative post, thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom