1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which TV is best ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mildred, Oct 11, 2004.

1. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which TV is best ?

Philips 32PW9618
    Sony KD32DX200
    Toshiba 32ZP48

I know the Philips is discontinued now and difficult to find, but I liked my 10 year old Philips 100Hz TV before it died for the second time. :eek:

I hear Sony TV's have poor tube geometry, and the DX200 has lower spec than the Philips in terms of features and sound. :rolleyes:

The Toshiba looks cheap and nasty, and the stand looks like a vegetable rack in the kitchen :D

What other 32inch w/s sets are available for under £950 that is worth looking at ?

Any help is welcome....thanks for reading :)

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I cannot recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48 too highly. Luckily, mine does not look like a vegetable rack in the kitchen. regards, yt.

3. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Is it really that bad then ?

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd go for the Sony - geometry is adjustable and the DTTV tuner is good

5. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to go for the Philips 32PW9618 as the picture is far superior to anything else I have seen, apart from a very nice Panasonic LCD TV with built in Freeview, but that costs double the price.

All other CRT TV's have visible scanning lines, but they are not visible on the Philips pixel plus models. I know there is some pixellation visible on poor quality analogue programs, but I can live with that.

I know where I can still get the Philips for a reasonable price, but not many of them are left now.

I also think Pixel Plus 2 is far worse than the previous version, otherwise I would have considered the Philips 32PW9509.

6. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same boat.

Went for the 32PW9618 and never looked back.
    The picture really astounded me and my mates that come round to watch a DVD now and then just cant believe the picture quality.

The sound it quality and there are loads of connections. Its pretty cheap now n'all.

Kelkoo only list 3 places as stocking it now with the cheapest being www.digital-point.co.uk

Go for it mate.

7. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital Point is the only place you will get it now I think, apart from Ebay maybe. The other sites that say it is in stock is not true, as they have to be ordered from Philips, which is impossible now as discontinued.

I did try and get a brand new one from Ebay, but was outbid every time.

If I knew then that the 32PW9618 is now unobtainable, then I would have bid much higher.

Mine comes tomorrow from Digital point by the way. :)

8. Adcote

Adcote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I work with a lot of display devices (I'm a trainer in the field of video production) and have owned a PP1 set - PP2 is definitely better. In fact the 9509 is an outstanding set. The key thing with all these sets is to set them up properly. The pre-programmed picture 'profiles' are never that good. Select the 'personal' profile, or equivalent for your set, and then use something like Digital Video Essentials to set the picture up. I have access to a colorimeter and was surprised to find the 9509 absolutely spot-on for colour - very good for a 'consumer' product. Turn down the 'sharpness' and 'DNR' settings and you have a pretty-much unbeatable picture. The source needs to be good though.

9. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am only going by what I saw with my own eyes, and this was also the opinion of a professional review in one of the well known magazines.

I do appreciate that there are many settings on these TV's that need adjusting for the best picture, but at the end of the day it is what looks good to your own eyes that counts, and I was far more impressed by the picture on the 32PW9309 than the 9509 with PP2. :)

It could have been that the settings were not at the best in the shop, but I would have thought the reviewers would have tried all settings. Just my opinion. :)

10. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have just purchased the 36" 9618 from Curry's in the Sale for £799. I must say it is awesome and the best picture I've seen, even on a par with the 9509.

11. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You definitely got yourself one hell of a bargain there :)

12. MarkJayne

MarkJayne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone compared the latest pixel plus philips to the Sony Kv36hq100.

13. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will have to compare for yourself in your local store.

Just got my Philips 32PW9618 with pixel plus, and am very happy with it.