Which TV has the best iPlayer app?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by JuSi, Mar 11, 2013.

1. JuSi

JuSi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of working out which would be the best Smart TV for my dear old mother. I anticipate that (like me), much of her viewing will be via the BBC iPlayer, and thus the accessibility and useability of the iPlayer app is a key consideration.

I have a Samsung (D6530) and a Sony (Bravia). Of the two, I prefer the Sony iPlayer app, mainly because of its fast-forward/rewind features - my mum would go crackers if she had to FF/RW in 30-second intervals, which is the best the Samsung can manage.

Does anyone have any advice, experience or recommendations of iPlayer on other platforms or models? For example, is there a TV out there that supports resume?

Thanks
    Simon

2. ovbg

ovbg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The Samsung iPlayer supports Resume, as well as Favourites. But yes, it does have a naff FFW/REW.

On the other hand, it also has an ITV Player and Demand 5 Player with 4oD coming later this year. Which is a lot more than most of the competition.

It is a bit to compare different iPlayers though, as most of us generally use only one or two TV's.

Maybe the best thing for your mum is a YouView service, which combines everything into the basic EPG. If she can use an EPG, she may find this a great setup?

3. JuSi

JuSi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying. What Samsung machine do you have that supports Resume and Favourites? My TV doesn't - all programmes restart at the beginning every time, and there's no sign of a favourites facility. If it's the case that newer Samsung (TV) models provide these functions, that'll weigh heavily in their favour.

You're right, YouView is a viable option, albeit one that'll mean another box and remote. (Side question: Access to all catchup TV on YouView is via the 7-day EPG, so does this mean that programmes that are older than 7 days are not available? There are often programmes on iPlayer that hang around for several weeks, e.g. at the time of writing you can still view all episodes of the current series of Spiral).

Anyway, as you say it's going to be difficult to get much breadth of opinion for such a niche concern.

4. ovbg

ovbg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi JuSi, I was referring to the iPlayer on a Samsung ES6900 series. It does indeed offer a Resume function. If I return back to a programme I have previously started, it will give me the option to start from the beginning of resume.

The favourites button is located at the info screen. I can use the down button to show the options where I can switch to HD and next to that is the favourites star. Anytime I highlight a show with the favourites star it will then be found in the favourites folder - this includes whole series, so any new programmes from the same series will also be found in that folder.

You can see a general review which can be found here and includes the Samsung TV platform: BBC iPlayer Review | Eye on Demand

Which model to you have?

I don't have Youview unfortunately, as I live in Germany, but as far as I know it doesn't include the series link which the iPlayer has.

5. JuSi

JuSi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - useful to see that the newer Samsung models have got a more feature-rich iPlayer.

I've got a Samsung D6530, which is an excellent TV but which I think has been left behind in terms of Samsung's support/interest, so I suspect I won't benefit from upgrades to stuff like the iPlayer app.

6. JuSi

JuSi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, one further question - does the iPlayer on your Samsung have a sensible volume control? Mine jumps from whispering to talking quietly to shouting in three easy steps, unlike my Sony which uses the standard TV volume gradation.