1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which TV from this list...?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kristian, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Evening all,

I could do with some advice regarding which TV to get next and would appreciate any help you knowledgable people can give. The short story is I've been having many problems with a Panny 32PL1 widescreen TV. It has been agreed with the retailer that I can return the TV (the 3rd unit!) and choose anything else off their website up to a certain price, or can add some more money if the price is above this amount. So the choice around this price is listed below - cut and pasted form the website.

PANASONIC TX32PS1C Ctv 76cm Tau Nicam 16:9 Flatscreen
    PANASONIC TX32PS12C Ctv 76cm Tau 100hz/16:9 Nicam flat screen
    JVC AV32X37 Ctv 76cm 100hz 3d Nicam/Dual Screen
    PANASONIC TX32PS5C Ctv 76cm Tau Dolby 16:9 Silver
    PHILIPS 32PW9308C Ctv 76cm 100hz Pixel Plus Virtual Dolby
    SONY KV32FX68S Ctv 76cm 16:9 Wega 100hz Virtual-Dolby
    TOSHIBA 32ZD26P Ctv 76cm 16:9 100hz Nicam Flat `Strata`
    SONY KV32FQ70S Ctv 76cm 16:9 Wega 100hz Virtual-Dolby
    LOEWE X5381ZWG Ctv 76cm 16:9 Xelos (Bk)

The direct replacement is the Panny 32PS1 but I seem to be leaning towards the Panny 32PS12 which is 100Hz or the Tosh 32ZD26P which is also 100Hz and NTSC Prog Scan. My main viewing is Sky and DVD's. My DVD player is not PS yet but could be replaced if needed in the near future. I'm not bothered about DPL or DD as I have a separate surround sound system.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Regards,

Kris.

2. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kris
    My past attraction to Panasonic put me in a similar position a couple of years ago. And I have two friends who found themselves with the same dilemma in the last few months. In my case I finished up doubling my planned budget and buying a Loewe Aconda, one friend CUT his budget and bought a soon to be discontinued curvy fronted 50hz Panny DK1, and finally another friend went £300 over budget to get a Loewe Aventos. We are all very satisfied with what we have. Which we would not be if we had stuck to our initial intention : mid range flat widescreen sets from Panasonic....

Why? Well it grieves me to say this - as a huge fan of Panasonic's 50hz AI system on 4:3 sets.. but (unless the very latest models present a different picture to six months ago) I could not recommend any Panasonic widescreen set. Until very recently (and maybe still?) the company had still not really got the hang of 100hz processing - especially with NTSC material - and even the 50hz sets suffer from one of the most unsatisfactory aspect ratio devices out there: "Just" or "TWIST", Transient Wide Shoulder Trouble.

I've yet to be that impressed by the Sonys which other friends and colleagues have plumped for. Either for aspect ratios or geometry. The admittedly few JVC pictures I've seen always look a tad too lacking in detail to me. Of your list I suspect the Tosh and the (curvy not flat) Xelos the most likely to give you satisfaction - both with the 100hz processing and aspect ratio management.

However the better Tosh under budget is probably the 50hz 23B with wonderfully clean pictures and surprisingly little flicker and the better Loewe slightly over budget the (flat) Aventos. In fact if you can run to the Aventos its a no brainer - as you'll see from searching this forum....

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If most of your watching is Sky based, it's well worth looking at the Toshiba from your list. I use the 36" version on the Progress. setting and the Sky picture can be quite stunning at times - although you do need a decent SCART lead and to calibrate the Tosh very thoroughly to get there.

4. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Thank you for the replies Barry and Juboy.

I'm finding it very difficult to trust another Panny after the recent problems I've had. I'm sure there are many happy owners and I've just been unlucky... I think I'll look at the Tosh and Loewe and in more detail.

Cheers,

Kris.