Question Which TV for PS5?

thats ultimately you’re choice but I would live with colour shift then screen burn as least one is not permanent damage To a tv
Screen burn is not a worry with modern oled.

threads all over the forums disagree

and if it wasn’t a problem any more why do John Lewis sell a warranty for screen burn
Possibly because some people are using inappropriate settings, don't vary content and aren't being sensible.
Rtings and HDTV test have both done tests that equate to 20 years use without any issue. You believe what you want but none of my friends or indeed me myself have had any issues.
I might keep this, I might not.
We shall see.

Possibly because some people are using inappropriate settings, don't vary content and aren't being sensible.
Rtings and HDTV test have both done tests that equate to 20 years use without any issue. You believe what you want but none of my friends or indeed me myself have had any issues.
I might keep this, I might not.
We shall see.

why is it when a oled user/owner is confronted with screenburn It’s always “inappropriate settings” or misuse of the unit

and as for keeping the Sony we all know What’s going to happen there as well “Can't live with that!”

why is it when a oled user/owner is confronted with screenburn It’s always “inappropriate settings” or misuse of the unit

and as for keeping the Sony we all know What’s going to happen there as well “Can't live with that!”
I don't understand what you are trying to say. I have an oled, I've gamed on it pretty heavily, I bought an lcd for my ps5 and I foolishly expected it to be relatively on a par. Its not. Its not even close. If I can get the thing looking better after Andy has had a look at it I'll keep it because the bx isn't perfect with vrr etc anyway. All the videos from ratings and HDTV recommend the guidelines I mentioned if you want to play games in an oled, I only repeated what they said. The fact that you seem to have a beef with people like me who don't have any issues gaming on oled insinuate that you've spent a lot of money on a vastly inferior technology.
If you abuse it you might have issues, there are people who have had issues, I'm not one and I don't know any.
I bought a mid range TV for the ps5 and a TV for gaming that costs over a grand is a bit OTT imo but I'd spend in that region if one ticked a lot of the boxes.
Lcd has its pros, well maybe 2 at most but the tech is still vastly flawed as display technology. It always will be. The fact that I prefer the flaws of oled really shouldn't upset you so much.
If I hadn't come from an oled it might not be such a big deal, but I have, so it is.
Please refrain form engaging your nonsense with me, it's boring and isn't helping anyone else choose a ps5 display.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. I have an oled, I've gamed on it pretty heavily, I bought an lcd for my ps5 and I foolishly expected it to be relatively on a par. Its not. Its not even close. If I can get the thing looking better after Andy has had a look at it I'll keep it because the bx isn't perfect with vrr etc anyway. All the videos from ratings and HDTV recommend the guidelines I mentioned if you want to play games in an oled, I only repeated what they said. The fact that you seem to have a beef with people like me who don't have any issues gaming on oled insinuate that you've spent a lot of money on a vastly inferior technology.
If you abuse it you might have issues, there are people who have had issues, I'm not one and I don't know any.
I bought a mid range TV for the ps5 and a TV for gaming that costs over a grand is a bit OTT imo but I'd spend in that region if one ticked a lot of the boxes.
Lcd has its pros, well maybe 2 at most but the tech is still vastly flawed as display technology. It always will be. The fact that I prefer the flaws of oled really shouldn't upset you so much.
If I hadn't come from an oled it might not be such a big deal, but I have, so it is.
Please refrain form engaging your nonsense with me, it's boring and isn't helping anyone else choose a ps5 display.

you started the non sense not me let’s get a few things straight shall we

1 you had a oled then brought a “a mid tier lcd” tech is still vastly flawed as display ”you’re words not mine

2 I made reference to screenburn which is a major flaw of oled which you said and again I quote people are using inappropriate settings when is fact it’s a flaw of oled

3 Please refrain From engaging your nonsense with me “again I quote you”
the nonsense was you again purchased a mid tier lcd which in its own owners thread is regarded as poorer compared to other models to compete with a oled again you knew it wouldn’t so why bother buying the sony in the first place so again I’m not the one engaging in nonsense it’s you

4 again I quote ( who doesn’t like a good quote) “The fact that you seem to have a beef with people like me who don't have any issues gaming on oled insinuate that you've spent a lot of money on a vastly inferior technology.” I purchased a LCD which today still cannot Be beaten and i also purchased as I know no matter how many hours or bright it gets it will not suffer with 1 screenburn and 2 panel dimming

Last edited:
@ozzzy189 I would return the XH9005 mate. I would either get the XH9505 and be happy with 4K 60fps with really good HDR or, wait until the XH9505 successor next year which will very likely included HDMI 2.1 but still have very good HDR handling. Whether or not the gamma issues that are affecting all VRR displays atm will be fixed is another matter...

@ozzzy189 I would return the XH9005 mate. I would either get the XH9505 and be happy with 4K 60fps with really good HDR or, wait until the XH9505 successor next year which will very likely included HDMI 2.1 but still have very good HDR handling. Whether or not the gamma issues that are affecting all VRR displays atm will be fixed is another matter...

what I’ve seen they can’t be fixed its a hardware issue according to a hdtvtest video I’ve seen

what I’ve seen they can’t be fixed its a hardware issue according to a hdtvtest video I’ve seen
Which is exactly why I have been advising people to go for the XH9505 over the XH9005 however, some people just can't see past the HDMI 2.1 vs HDM0 2.0. These people probably, unfortunately for them, don't understand what HDR is either.

Ahhh well, to each their own eh!

Here's some comparisons between an oled and the Sony xh9005.
Recommended gaming settings vs my own.

Attachments

• received_430537057944429.jpeg
    received_430537057944429.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG-20201130-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20201130-WA0007.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20201130_181107.jpg
    IMG_20201130_181107.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20201130_181826.jpg
    IMG_20201130_181826.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 88
Obviously the camera doesn't do the lcd any favours, and it washes out the colours on the oled, so much for Huawei p30 Pro being a good camera, but you can plainly see one looks good, and one really doesn't.
It's personal choice at the end of the day but if you want blue blacks, colour shift, blurred movement and NO risk of screen burn then go ahead, knock yourself out buy one of these over rated pieces of rubbish.
If you want stunning blacks and fantastic contrast with solid looking colours that don't shift when you turn your head, smooth motion and a miniscule risk of screen burn but only if you're a total doob, then buy an oled.
Replacement proper TV coming Saturday.
Sorry, I gave it a chance and it wasn't bad for clouding or dse but I'm taking my chance with tint and uniformity and going for a bx, even knowing about the vrr bug.

Attachments

• IMG_20201130_183641.jpg
    IMG_20201130_183641.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20201129_161621.jpg
    IMG_20201129_161621.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 79
Obviously the camera doesn't do the lcd any favours, and it washes out the colours on the oled, so much for Huawei p30 Pro being a good camera, but you can plainly see one looks good, and one really doesn't.
It's personal choice at the end of the day but if you want blue blacks, colour shift, blurred movement and NO risk of screen burn then go ahead, knock yourself out buy one of these over rated pieces of rubbish.
If you want stunning blacks and fantastic contrast with solid looking colours that don't shift when you turn your head, smooth motion and a miniscule risk of screen burn but only if you're a total doob, then buy an oled.
Replacement proper TV coming Saturday.
Sorry, I gave it a chance and it wasn't bad for clouding or dse but I'm taking my chance with tint and uniformity and going for a bx, even knowing about the vrr bug.
Definitely should have given the XH9505 a go. Ah well.

Did you even try the XH9005 with the PS5 with HDR OFF?

I knew it yesterday he was going to send it back as per my post he simply purchased a poor LCD and expected better results which was never going to happen as he claims LCD is flawed

its even listed on dodgexander’s guide as mid tier

“These are what I like to call halfway there TVs, note quite good enough for HDR, but still a small step up compared to low tier. To most people it makes little sense to buy a TV in this section, but there may be some specific scenarios where you may want too. I'd advise instead looking at low tier or high tier models instead for most usage”

Last edited:

No, no point I like HDR as long as its not too much.

What's fundamentally different between the XH9005 and 9505 that would fix the bluey blacks / colour shift issue he's seeing? They're both fald leds at the the of the day. I'm very surprised the 9005 blacks look like bad given it's a fald, ok granted it doesn't have loads of dimming zones but I've been very impressed with previous fald led TVs I've had in terms of the blacks at least. The pics of the 9005 posted don't look good at all but I'm struggling to work out why the 9505 would be a lot better as far as blacks are concerned really? I appreciate the 9505 is definitely more highly regarded as a TV and I probably wouldn't put having hdmi 2.1 above that myself personally as I don't see hdmi 2.1 as being that important but I'm interested in what sets the 9005 and 9505 apart when it comes to black level performance , does the 9505 have more zones?

Whatever, I tried to give it a chance.
The video 'CX vs x90h (xh90) it shouldn't be this close' don't believe it, it really isn't.
If you have to spend a lot of money to get a reasonable lcd then why bother? They're just not worth it.

1 screen burn 2 panel dimming

there is 2 reasons right there

and I don’t care “miniscule risk of screen burn“ it’s still possible

What's fundamentally different between the XH9005 and 9505 that would fix the bluey blacks / colour shift issue he's seeing? They're both fald leds at the the of the day. I'm very surprised the 9005 blacks look like bad given it's a fald, ok granted it doesn't have loads of dimming zones but I've been very impressed with previous fald led TVs I've had in terms of the blacks at least. The pics of the 9005 posted don't look good at all but I'm struggling to work out why the 9505 would be a lot better as far as blacks are concerned really? I appreciate the 9505 is definitely more highly regarded as a TV and I probably wouldn't put having hdmi 2.1 above that myself personally as I don't see hdmi 2.1 as being that important but I'm interested in what sets the 9005 and 9505 apart when it comes to black level performance , does the 9505 have more zones?

better panel more dimming zones

Whatever, I tried to give it a chance.
The video 'CX vs x90h (xh90) it shouldn't be this close' don't believe it, it really isn't.
If you have to spend a lot of money to get a reasonable lcd then why bother? They're just not worth it.
The 55" XH9505 is only £100 more than the 55" XH9005 and is a much better TV for HDR and general viewing due to more dimming zones.

No, no point I like HDR as long as its not too much.
But the XH9005 has very poor HDR. It's USP is that it has HDMI 2.1 to do 4K 120hz with vrr (lol, don't need that at a stable 4K - native or dynamic - 60fps).

Even trying to compare XH9005 in HDR mode to LG OLED/ any OLED with HDR is literally pointless. I'm sure the XH9005 does a fine job with SDR.

Are you aware that's lots of games don't even have a good implementation of HDR anyway and are better off being played in SDR.

I think you've missed a trick not trying out the XH9505 personally.

Ah well. Enjoy.

it hasnt got many more diming zones i think its 32 for xh90 and 48 for xh95

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom