• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Which tv for £500?

Davekale86

Prominent Member
So looking at getting a new tv as current tv will be getting moved into the bedroom and currently have around £500 to spend had a look around and managed to narrow it down to either the Panasonic TX50HX580B or the hisense roku r50b7120uk,current tv is mainly used for watching 4K Blu-rays and gaming on the PS4 pro so was wondering which one would be the better tv?or can anyone recommend a decent tv for the price? Thanks

A20

Standard Member
The Panasonic is a Vestel rebadge, so I would avoid that. The Hisense Roku is okay, but for me, if you are spending £500, I would get the Hisense 50U7QFTUK. In terms of brightness, it's the best you will get for £500 for a brand new TV. Peak brightness is around 700 nits - other TVs are generally between 300-400 nits. That alone makes the U7QFTUK better than the other options for me. It may not be 'bright enough' for HDR, but I feel it does a fair job of it. Not just with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, but also HLG too - Blue Planet II on iPlayer looks excellent when using the HDR Dynamic picture setting. Maybe it will be slightly cheaper on Black Friday via an ebay deal - but retailers might put the price up before the deal goes live, so that wouldn't make it as good a deal.

Davekale86

Prominent Member
Thanks think I’m going to go for the Phillips see if it’s any good had a Phillips tv ages ago and that was good @jox will let you know my thoughts when I get it

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I think £500 is more than enough for decent tv

Unfortunately not if you're watching 4K.

4K, purely at a resolution isn't noticeable @ 50" over 1080p unless your sitting on top of the TV and the only reason to go UHD is for the resolution bump and for HDR.

All new TVs will have HDR but it's purely for compatibility with HDR content, if they didn't have it the colours would look all washed out.
To get the benefit of HDR your TV either has to be an OLED or be LCD with enough backlight brightness and have Local Dimming so the whole screen just doesn't light up.

There's nothing wrong with some cheaper TVs but you'd be as well just watching 1080p content on them as there's no benefit to UHD other than if the bluray had a poor quality release that's been updated by the UHD.

It's also a bad time to buy a new TV as 2019 models which were bargains have pretty much all ran out and the 2020 models are overpriced compared to what they will be later on in the year and next spring as the 2021 model come out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom