1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which tv card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by systemsdead, May 22, 2005.

1. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    morning i am wanting to connect my ntl stb to my pc so i can watch it on my lcd monitor,problem is there is so many cards out there all i want to do is watch not bothered about recording to hd or any editing.any ideas on the cheepest way of doing this with a decent picture would be apreciated

2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    still lost what did u go for in the end.cheapest i seen hauppage PVR250st for is 95 quid which is way to much,all i want is to watch tv nothin else

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i havent actualy bought it yet lol, im a student and so im skint and waiting for some cash. if you dont want to record the second card reccomended in that thread should be good for you.

5. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edit - I wrote this before I noticed the quote above!!

The cheapest way is to get a cheap analogue TV card and input using S-Video (Does the NTL STB have S-video) or Composite. The Packard Bell cards at PC world are good, I think they have a newer model that I got, but they have a lot less noise than my old Pinnacle card, the difference in PQ was night and Day. I paid £30 for mine.

You also need to download a program called Dscaler, which will take over the de-interlacing from the standard software that comes with the card. This is regarded as the best de-interlacing program available and is FREE.

I can get a more than passable picture on an 8 foot screen just using a composite input from my Sky box. Dscaler has a few filters that let you clean up the picture, but to be honest the Packard Bell cards are so clean you don’t need to use them. Although the Sharpness filter can help with a soft picture.

Do a search on this forum for PBTV100 to see the card (I think new version is PBTV 200)

6. R2D2

R2D2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from aldi for 20 pounds its brillent it comes with Composite and s-video and they have had them in my local store for months (in chelmsford) :cool:

7. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    The PBTV100 from PCworld is the best Ive seen for analogue with Dscaler. Blows my PVR150 away.