Which tv card?????

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Machine Head, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Having finally decided that I wanted to get tv on my pc I started to look into it. By eck, what a choice................leading to utter confusion! i need advice as to which product to buy. I have seen several that would do the job but haven't a clue if they are any good or not. If any of you out there can advise me, I'd appreciate it. Basically, all I want to do is record from the tv onto my hard drive and make dvd's from there. I have been using a panasonic e30 to record on ram discs and then using tmpeg on my pc to convert & burn. I'd like to bypass the e30 and record to the hard drive and convert & burn from there. So, what are my best options? I like the look of this:http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/PCDITV.htm?CMP=KNC-KEL

It looks easy to install and use. Opinions? Pointing in the right directing is what I need. Cheers.

2. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I'll think I'll get in first with the Nebula tv recommendation. About £60 more expensive but what you're paying for is the Nebula's slick user interface (which is refreshing after using my previous box, a DEC 2000 T). It can also record to mpeg2 then to DVD but as I don't use this function I''m not sure how you would go about this but I'm sure someone else can explain (EDIT: It explains how to in the faq: http://www.nebula-electronics.com/support/faq.asp#14).

There is a good comparison of tv cards in last July's Computer Shopper:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/buyer-labs/58012/twinhan-dvb-vision-plus.html

In which the one you saw - the Twinhan Visionplus - didn't come out too badly. The review highlights the Twinhan's comparably poor interface but I'm sure you can read it yourself (use the drop down menu for reviews of the Nebula and Avermedia cards). Both the Twinhan and Nebula draw power from the USB port.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, off to do some reading now.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, done a bit of reading/looking and it seems the Nebula is the one to go for. As you say, it's a bit more to pay out for but in the long run should be worth it. What I would like to do is put a vhs in the loop so i can record from that as well. how have you got yours set up? Anybody tell me how they have theirs set up and from which sources they record from? Cheers.