1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which TV Card is best for me?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tuvok3of11, Aug 8, 2003.

1. tuvok3of11

tuvok3of11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking to get a TV card and upgrade my aerial to recieve digital free-to-view channels. I've heard alot about the Nebula DigiTV card but someone people complain about it's jerkiness. I've also heard alot of people mention a saa7130 card but i can't find any reviews for it.

The card must be able to capture SVCD well. Does the saa7130 receive digital?

Also, with a digital terrestrial capture card, would i still need a DigiBox to decode the signal or could i plug it straight into the Card via Composite and capture?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darryl

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    The Nebula is a digital tuner card: it does the job of a digibox but inside your computer. I am unsure if it has additional analogue capture capability

The saa7130 cards are analogue video capture cards. You feed them video from a source device ( doesn't really matter what: dvd player , digibox, console). You can record to the computers hd from these devices or as is commonloy discussed on this board use them as an input for an interlaced video source which is then deinterlaced and scaled by an HTPC ( using Dscaler most likely) and sent on to a projector.

The capture quality will depend on the software you use as well as the card: the PB TV100 is a well thought of card and can be ahd fro 30quid. I have one but prefer my Xcapture.

3. tuvok3of11

tuvok3of11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, does the saa7130 capture in SVCD quality or would the Nebula be better?

Could someone put a small SVCD sample up on a website from 1 of the 2 cards?

Thanks,

Darryl

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Like I* said I'm not usre of the capture capabilities of the nebula but the saa7130 is regarded as one of the best capture cards picture wise. It has an svideo input.

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    By SVCD do you mean s-video? If so a card like the TV100 has an s-video input. The Nebula will capture broadcast material in high quality since it captures the original stream material. It also has a composite video input for capturing from external analogue sources.

Don't forget the cards with the saa7130 chip are analogue terrestrial, not digital. I've tried both and the analogue even with dscaler was not as good as the digital from the Nebula. Mind you it is about 4x as expensive.

So for capturing broadcast material the Nebula wins, but for external video sources the s-video on the TV100 will be better than composite on the Nebula (depending of course on the source material.

6. tuvok3of11

tuvok3of11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by SVCD i mean the SVCD video standard (2520Kb/s), it needs to be able to capture this kind of quality well.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Why don't you just rip the disc in a PC rather than capture it.

8. tuvok3of11

tuvok3of11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What disc? i want to capture a TV signal in SVCD quality.

9. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The Nebula card captures the TV signal at full quality. You would have to convert down to the lesser quality of SVCD.

10. tuvok3of11

tuvok3of11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Nebula can do better than SVCD? how about the other one?

11. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    You can capture with an saa7130, but you will need to get hold of some software to do it. As a general rule, PC's don't make very good VCR's. First they capture the analogue signal using the tuner on the card. Next the PC must "deinterlace" the signal into a progressive signal - this in itself is tricky to do well - especially with weak analogue broadcasts. Next the PC must compress the video - using mpeg compression. This process can introduce artefacts, and can use a lot of CPU cycles. Sometimes the software will only capture half frames, or perhaps just drop frames - simply because of the amout of data and processing involved.

With the nebula card, it is different, and you may find this a preferable solution. The nebula card makes life simple, because it just captures the digital stream directly to your hard drive. Because it is a digital signal, there is no graininess/interference that you often see in analogue broadcasts.

In theory you might be able to get better results with an saa7130 card - despite it being analogue. But it depends on the power of your PC, the quality of the capture software, the signal strength, etc. Similarly, some of the limitations of analogue capturing can be overcome with more expensive capture cards with inbuilt mpeg encoding (ie. the mpeg encoding is done in hardware on the card, instead of by the PC). These cards are often sold as "PVR" cards.

So unfortunately, there isn't really a straight forward answer to your question. Both solutions have their strengths and weaknesses. I have a Nebula myself. But I'm thinking of getting an saa7130 as well.

12. dannyc

dannyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Nebula card is definitely the way to go for Freeview recordings, I think there was even a used PCI version on the classifieds not so long ago. For recording I don't think it can be beaten, especially when played back with Powerdvd 5 using its analogue outs for prologic 2 surround. Playback with Powerdvd is much smoother too. Also the digiguide listings program has a very good plugin allowing you to schedule nebula recordings directly from it.

The analogue input of the Nebula is not very clean, mine has a lot of noise.

I still use a Sky box into my Holo3d card for live TV viewing as my setup suffers from too much stutter. I actually think that the stutter is related to refresh rates and bad pull down in software and not an inherent fault in the Nebula card.

Dan

13. tuvok3of11

tuvok3of11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be using a high definition aerial for the digital signal, would this be all i need besides the nebula card?

Also, is the sound captured internally or through the soundcard list most analogue cards?

14. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  15. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    First check http://www.freeview.co.uk to see if you can get freeview in your area. You might not need another aerial. Also check out the freeview channels.

You don't need your soundcard to capture sound from the nebula.