Which TV at the samish price?

Firann

Hey everyone!

Recently I was debating which two TVs to purchase for my Living Room and Media Room.

In the end I went for a XH95 65" for the living froom as i found it at agreat price for €1,150 and the wife prefered the brightness of the LED.

I have now gotten 3 offers for OLEDs in the Media Room and 2 LCDs and its really hard to pick!

LG G1 65" €2,400 (This is the one that through me off as I think its a steal at that price as the C1 is €2,200. Other retailers sell it for €3,600)
Sony A80J 65" €2,300
Panasonic HZ2000 65" €2,500
Samsung QN90A 65" €2,100
Sony XJ95 preliminary price €2,300. I dont know final price yet and is the tv i have been waiting for tbh.

The panasonic is phenomenal and is the TV I was leaning on. However I'm worried on the lack of the next gen features such as hdmi 2.1 and the G1 price really tempted me. The only worrying part is the burn in risk on the OLEDs. TV is mainly movies, series and light gaming.

Any advise?

Dodgexander

The G1 and A80J are both using the new EVO panel.
The HZ2000 can get bright too since it uses a cooling backplane, but is still using last years panel technology.

Probably for you the G1 or A80J is best value if you want to go for an OLED.

With LCD TVs the Samsung QN90A is a risk this year, it may be using an IPS panel in Europe. You need the QN94A or QN95A to ensure its using a VA panel.

The Sony XJ95 seems to have been released late.

As with all advice, despite some decent offers for this time of year TVs on release do tend to be expensive. That's why you're seeing models like the Panasonic HZ2000 selling for an amount close to OLEDs that are a tier down in this years range. If it wasn't for the current inflated pricing, the JZ2000 with the new panel tech would be the same price.

Firann

Hey Dodge thanks for your advice! Always valiable input.

I had no idea the A80J had the new panel. I thought only the A90J had it and is the reason I was debating the G1!

The prices are indeed wierd currently. I was really keen on the HZ2000 as its an excellent unit and is only missing the HDMI 2.1 tbh. The JZ2k will defo be out of range. I expect it will be 3.6k similar to the A90J.

I guess i just have to decide HZ2k vs A80J... Brighter panel or newer features.

Dodgexander

There are 4 tiers of OLEDs in 2021

Evo panel + Cooling backplate (brightest)Sony A90J, Panasonic JZ2000
Evo panel (brighter)Sony A80J, LG G1, Panasonic JZ1500, Philips OLED986
Older panelEvery other OLED (LG B1 is as dim as A1)
60hz panel (dimmer)LG A1

So the HZ2000 will get as bright as the new Evo panel TVs since it has a cooling backplate, but it doesn't use the new panel technology so it won't be as durable. That's not really a problem though unless you use the TV a lot with static elements.

If you wanted the new panel, and you want HDMI 2.1 probably best waiting for the price on some new TVs to come down.

Last edited:

JurgenHanz

Standard Member
There are 4 tiers of OLEDs in 2021

Evo panel + Cooling backplate (brightest)Sony A90J, Panasonic JZ2000
Evo panel (brighter)Sony A80J, LG G1, Panasonic JZ1500, Philips OLED986
Older panelEvery other OLED (LG B1 is as dim as A1)
60hz panel (dimmer)LG A1

So the HZ2000 will get as bright as the new Evo panel TVs since it has a cooling backplate, but it doesn't use the new panel technology so it won't be as durable. That's not really a problem though unless you use the TV a lot with static elements.

If you wanted the new panel, and you want HDMI 2.1 probably best waiting for the price on some new TVs to come down.
Hey mate, I looked everywhere regarding the A80J having the Evo panel and I couldn't find anything, can you tell me where you read about it? Also does it apply for all sizes?

Dodgexander

Hey mate, I looked everywhere regarding the A80J having the Evo panel and I couldn't find anything, can you tell me where you read about it? Also does it apply for all sizes?
You can tell its using the new panel type in brightness tests. Here's it compared to the LG G1:

What it doesn't have is the cooling backplate which lets TVs get even brighter again.

Eventually as LG improve their production lines all OLEDs will move over to the new panel type, in fact some larger C1 units are said to also run the new panel type, but are locked to a lower brightness.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom