Which TV and why?

Fuggle

Novice Member
Hi guys,
I am about to purchase a new TV from Very, (I like their payment options!) but I'm not really upon the latest TV technology. I am after a 40" - 43" TV, in the £300-£400 price range and these are my options so far:
  1. Luxor 43 inch DLED Full HD FVP T2 Smart TV - (£269)​

2. Luxor 43 inch 4K UHD Freeview Play Smart TV - (£279)​

3. Toshiba 43UL2063DB 43 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Freeview Play Smart TV - (£279)​

4. Hisense H43A7100FTUK 43 Inch 4k Ultra HD HDR Freeview Play Smart TV - (£299)​

5. Sony Bravia KDL43WF663 43 inch Full HD HDR Freeview Play Smart TV - (£379)​

Any help in making a choice between these 5 TV's would be greatly appreciated, as well as the reasons that led to this choice. I'm also open to your views on other TV's matching my criteria that might not be on this list, as well as any other information you can provide me on the pros and cons of buying a new TV. I'm 53 years old and not totally versed in things such as UHD, Ultra HD, 4K, DLED, OLED and so on. Any chance you can help an old fogey who still remembers black & white TV's with 3 channels and no remote control? :facepalm:

Many thanks and warmest regards in advance guys,

Brian

tvdavid

Sony even at FHD its better quality and sound.

tvdavid

the a7100 might be ok as well

Dodgexander

Happy Birthday!

The Hisense is probably the best of that bunch as long as you're viewing head-on.
If you view at an angle, or you are still mainly watching HD or SD material, go for the Sony instead.

The top 3 are best avoided, they are rebadges and are produced nowadays with poor design/build quality.

Fuggle

Novice Member
Happy Birthday!

The Hisense is probably the best of that bunch as long as you're viewing head-on.
If you view at an angle, or you are still mainly watching HD or SD material, go for the Sony instead.

The top 3 are best avoided, they are rebadges and are produced nowadays with poor design/build quality.
Even the Toshiba?

Thanks man! :)

Dodgexander

Even the Toshiba?

Thanks man! :)
Yep, they aren't their own company any more. They sold out to Hisense in 2017 and still have a contract with Vestel to produce their TVs, so they're actually worse quality than Hisense TVs themselves.

Fuggle

Novice Member
Yep, they aren't their own company any more. They sold out to Hisense in 2017 and still have a contract with Vestel to produce their TVs, so they're actually worse quality than Hisense TVs themselves.
Wow, I never knew that! Thanks Dodge. Are Hisense TV's any good?

Dodgexander

Wow, I never knew that! Thanks Dodge. Are Hisense TV's any good?
They tend to be very good value for money since they undercut their competition by quite a margin. They are however still a bit quirky with software and picture processing.

Fuggle

Novice Member
That's good to know Dodge, I'm leaning towards the Sony Bravia but it's not 4K. Does that actually matter? Or is it worth concentrating on a 4K set?

Thanks again,

Brian :laugh:

vickster

Distinguished Member
That's good to know Dodge, I'm leaning towards the Sony Bravia but it's not 4K. Does that actually matter? Or is it worth concentrating on a 4K set?

Thanks again,

Brian :laugh:
Do you have any 4K content? If not, a 1080p TV will be better for standard TV/Blu-ray.
There aren’t any 43” TVs that display uhd well

I have the 32” version of this in the bedroom, very happy with it. Unlike 2020 LGs, it has all the catch up apps plus prime, Netflix

Argos have it too

Last edited:

Fuggle

Novice Member
Do you have any 4K content? If not, a 1080p TV will be better for standard TV/Blu-ray.
There aren’t any 43” TVs that display uhd well

I have the 32” version of this in the bedroom, very happy with it. Unlike 2020 LGs, it has all the catch up apps plus prime, Netflix

Argos have it too
I'm not even sure what 4K content you would be referring to! lol. DVD's or 4K channels?

I'm kind of stuck with what 'Very' have to offer as they do a 9 month, interest free, flexible payment plan (meaning you can pay what you like providing you pay off the balance within 9 months).

Yeah, you're not the first person who has recommended an LG set to me, unfortunately the one they had on offer (£100 off!) is now out of stock.

'Very' 32" TV's
These are my options in the 32" range (up to and including the Bravia at £309)

'Very' 43" TV's
And these are my options in the 43" range (up to and including the Bravia at £370) and pending my wife's permission! ;)

Brian

vickster

Distinguished Member
I'm not even sure what 4K content you would be referring to! lol. DVD's or 4K channels?

I'm kind of stuck with what 'Very' have to offer as they do a 9 month, interest free, flexible payment plan (meaning you can pay what you like providing you pay off the balance within 9 months).

Yeah, you're not the first person who has recommended an LG set to me, unfortunately the one they had on offer (£100 off!) is now out of stock.

'Very' 32" TV's
These are my options in the 32" range (up to and including the Bravia at £309)

'Very' 43" TV's
And these are my options in the 43" range (up to and including the Bravia at £370) and pending my wife's permission! ;)

Brian
4K blu-rays, Sky UHD, HDR streams on Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, games, some YouTube content

Get an interest free credit card, then you can use any retailer?
Very only give a 1 year warranty too and have a limited selection (who on earth are Luxor, some Vestel ‘brand’ like Bush?)

Dodgexander

4k doesn't matter at all on a smaller TV, but you should think of panel types. The Sony will be using an IPS panel, whilst a Hisense, VA.

Sony also being a WF model is a 2018 model, so its 3 years old now.

Some brands as mentioned above are best avoided, even Panasonic nowadays are just rebadges with their entry level models. Not good quality at all.

If you're happy with a VA panel you can't go wrong with the Hisense A series on offer now for £300.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom