Which turntable?

dasherdiablo1

Having inherited a collection of vinyl from my dad I'm looking to add a turntable to one of my systems.

I’m had considered a Roksan Attessa but having seen one in the flesh and spoken to a few dealers I’ve been put off due to issues with set up and the tight (yet loose) dust cover.

It will be used with my AV system which is an Anthem MRX710 with MA PL200’s.

So now I’m thinking either a Pro-ject Audio X1 or Debut Pro.

Any thoughts on what the best player is in relation to suitability to the above system?

Thanks

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The first issue you have is that the MRX710 only has stereo line level inputs therefore you will either need a turntable with a built in preamp or a stand alone phoned stage/preamp between the turntable and the MRX710 inputs. This preamp not only amplifies the signal from the cartridge (low mV to around 1V) but also adds a RIAA filter which reverses some of the inbuilt processing applied whenever a record is cut.

Both of the turntables selected do not have built in phono stag/preamps so you will need one. One around the £150-200 mark would be in keeping with this level of turntable. If you want to stick with Project the. The Phono Box Ultra is worth a look if you are open to others then the IFI Zen Phono or the Tisbury Phono are good buys. These two tables come with a Pick It cartridge which is a derivative of the Ortofon 2M, a 2M red iirc which is not the best cartridge and can sound a bit sterile.

In a similar price category is the Rega Planar 3, buy without a cartridge and add a ATVM95ML and a Rega Fono MM mk5 and I think this would be hard to beat.

acgingersnaps

In a similar price category is the Rega Planar 3, buy without a cartridge and add a ATVM95ML and a Rega Fono MM mk5 and I think this would be hard to beat.
Can't argue with this, but would add that I have an X1 that I'm very happy with. As noted, you'd need, as a minimum, an iFi Zen Phono (I had one previously. Excellent device) and you'd want a fresh cart. The stock one is bobbins.

acgingersnaps

Glad you’ve said that as I just bought an X1 with a Phono Box S2 Ultra - got what I think is a cracking deal. Excited!
I currently use a Goldring 2200 on mine. Next up I'm going for a 1042.
The AtVM95ML is tempting though. Loads swear by it and plenty of change from £200.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom