Which Turntable Alignment Gauge should I buy

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by JohnProton, Sep 8, 2018.

1. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,359
    I have a clearaudio Concept turntable with a verify arm. and I have been looking at two Gauges and Im unsure which. I have looked at:

Dr Freikert Alignment tool - Dr Freikert Link
    Clearaudio alignment Gauge Clear Audio Link
    Acoustical Systems Smarttracktor Acoustical Systems Link

To me out of them all Dr Freikerts is the one I wouldnt go for and the reason for this is I have all Clearaudio Equipment, I have a ClearaudioConcept with a Clearaudio Verify arm so it really makes sense to go for a Clearaudio Alignment Gauge but the Dr Freikert is cheaper but then I think that by far the acoustical Systems is far superior to all of them but its big price tag its double the price of the clear audio or near enough, but it has a magnify glass to get closer and is more precise, it also has a smaller hole to get a more precise fit, but is it worth double the price? I do have a £1250 cartidge so i think that skimping on a gauge would be a bad idea and maybe Acoustical Systems is the one to go for but then saying that I have all clearaudio equipment so going for clear audio might be a good idea. so Im not sure.

I can just about manage to get the Acoustical solutions but if its good to get something cheaper and save the money that would be good, but Id rather get a more spot on sound than saving a few pennies. So What do you think?

2. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hiya John ,
    I've used the Feickert gauge and the Project version , they're good to use and accurate but for a home user think they're overkill - I'd consider them to be pro use tools where frequent setups are needed.
    Given decent eyes and a steady hand the printed versions will be as good , I like the Mobile Fidelity protractor and currently use the Schon both of which are around the 50 quid mark ; I'd also recommend a digital stylus gauge and a decent magnifier.
    Course the machines you mention do look rather swish!

Stu.

3. MikeFaulkner

MikeFaulkner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I had a disappointing experience with the Project gauge recently, which was discussed on here. I would certainly agree with Stu, they are a bit of an overkill for home users like us. If you are part of a group of enthusiasts, then certainly consider buying one between you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,359
    It is very difficult to set up the clearaudio concept because of the magnetic bearing in the arm I cant get the right tracking it sounds too light. You need to get the arm exact and its off so I need to get the arm at the exact height to get the right weight and tracking of the cartridge. My cartridge was a lot of money so I worry about damaging it so now I have decided to go for the Smarttracktor. After looking on youtube you can see how more premium it looks to the others in comparison acoustical systems - SMARTractor / P.A.S.

5. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    It should certainly do a good job , let us know how you do with it .

Stu.

6. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,359
    it is driving me insane setting up this turntable, I got it today and I have put it to what my arm says in mm which is 222mm but when i put it to 222mm at the Uni P2S it will not go to 222mm it is off on the arm so i dont get it, I actually put it to the pivot to see what it measured and it measures 227mm so I am really stumped.

7. JohnProton

JohnProton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,359