1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which transmitter is stronger ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mortod, Jul 7, 2003.

1. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a choice of two transmitters, more or less in line. One is 10x the power, but is only 5x the distance away. Which one would give me the stronger signal ? (either 0.1kW at 12km, or 1.0kW at 57km).

I know the obvious answer is to try it, but before I go to the effort of chaning my arial polarisation, thought it worth asking.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Too many factors - not just ERP and distance. Lie of the land; obstructions (trees, buildings). Plus - channels used vs. the type of aerial you have.

3. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wide band aerial. Same direction so same lie of land. Interested in the theoretical answer assuming all other factors the same.

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    In theory , as power dissipates with an inverse square law, the 10 times higher power would not make up for the extra distance.

Having said that , it very much depends also on obstacles between you and the transmitter antennae. You would need to do a path profile analysis to do a more accurate guess.

So I would expect the nearer one to be better but you should suck it & see.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.