1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which transmitter for iPod mini

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by stormjai, Sep 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have an iPod mini, and want to play it via car stereo. Don't want to get "permenent" fitting. Have looked at itrip transmitter. I understand these are not "conform to UK regulations" in UK, but are available and used. Also seen another version called airplay transmitter.

Has anybody have experience of these?

Are they any good?

Where can i get one - available via ebay, anywhere else?

Ta

Jai

2. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they are OK, even though they are not strictly permitted in the UK. The inverse square law and metal car body means your broadcast doesn't really get far even if it is illegal to make unlicensed FM broadcasts. The iTrip has a neat method of control; you play special audio file snippets to change the frequency it transmits on etc. so it doesn't clash with your favourite FM station. It's also powered from the iPod, so there's no extra battery rituals to remember. I don't know what the others do.

A wired in car kit is going to give you better audio quality, but the sound is already compromised by the driving environment anyway, so I think it's a good choice. Bye bye 10 CD changers!

Ebay and some UK online retailers sell them; I don't know what the legality of selling them is. I suspect they will put "not for use in the United Kingdom" stickers on the box to cover themselves.