Quantcast

Which tracks do you use to test equipment and why?

Cameron583

Wasn’t sure if there was a thread for this already, so I apologise if there is :)

As per the title, which tracks do you use to test new/old equipment, and why? Does it have a particularly demanding bass track? Is it rhythmically complex? Is it sonically complex?

Im generally a bit of a bass lover; though not quantity, necessarily. One of the tracks I use to check out how something handles depth and bite is “DRAWN OUT LIKE AN ACHE” by Lorn. There’s a surprising amount of bite and depth to the bass that isn’t apparent at first, but quickly makes itself apparent.

So, tell me - which tracks do you use?

sagaris99

Wasn’t sure if there was a thread for this already, so I apologise if there is :)

As per the title, which tracks do you use to test new/old equipment, and why? Does it have a particularly demanding bass track? Is it rhythmically complex? Is it sonically complex?

Im generally a bit of a bass lover; though not quantity, necessarily. One of the tracks I use to check out how something handles depth and bite is “DRAWN OUT LIKE AN ACHE” by Lorn. There’s a surprising amount of bite and depth to the bass that isn’t apparent at first, but quickly makes itself apparent.

So, tell me - which tracks do you use?
Found this very useful

In addition to that

Ultimate bass test - Go fudge (change fudge to the F word) Yourself (Two Feet).... watch the volume, the bass is very sharp if you're not expecting it
Bass clarity - Do I Wanna Know (Arctic Monkeys)
Low Freq Response - I Want to Break Free (Queen), or the sample of it in Madness (muse)
Full range clarity - Money for Nothing (Dire Straits) from about 1min10 secs
Stereo effect, full range response - Baba O'Reilly (The Who)
The 'everything' test - The National Anthem (Radiohead) & Get Lucky (Daft Punk)

that's a few of the one's I use

of course, quality largely will depend on where you're getting the material from

Steve356

Distinguished Member
A few that I use always.....

Tin Pan Alley - Stevie Ray Vaughan -- Soundstage, dynamics and bass guitar clarity. You should be able to hear every single note played.

Woman In Chains - Tears For Fears -- Do the two singers occupy different places in the soundstage? Played loud, does Oleta Adams vocals sound great or do they sound strident? Is the bass guitar clear thought the song? It's a very dynamic track, does it sound like it?

Water Of Life - Dire Straits -- does it all sound balanced with Mark Knopfler's vocals or does the treble sound strident or does the bass sound muddy?

Cousin Dupree - Steely Dan -- Is the bass guitar clearly defined against the drums? Does the bass drum kick you in the chest? Terrific slam on this track.

The CD album The Hunter - Jennifer Warnes -- I always take this CD to any demo or listening session. I use tracks 1, 2, 8 and 9 mostly. Those tracks will tell you if the bass is boomy or the system lacks dynamics or can produce female vocals correctly or if there are issue with the soundstage in terms of image width, depth and height.

There are many other tracks I use, but the above is what I can use to tell me all I need to know.

Last edited:

gibbsy

I take a few CDs and SACDs with me. Joni Mitchell Blue for high female vocals. Jethro Tull Songs from the Wood for clarity and instrumental separation. Carly Simon Anticipation on SACD for soundstage and percussion. Laura Marling Alas I Cannot Swim CD for acoustic guitar and percussion.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I've made myself a playlist that tests pretty much everything. Here's just a couple...

One highly unlikely track is (don't laugh) "We close our eyes/Overhang mix" by Go West.
Haunting expansive synthesised orchestral intro, pin sharp clarity and imaging... and then the bass kicks in.

Another bass workout is Red Hot Chiili peppers' cover of Stevie Wonders "Higher Ground".

Then it's on to a beautiful piece of opera: "La Wally".

Last edited:

arthurdentpc

The Prophets Song by Queen, from A Night At The Opera - great range, great stereo, some heavy rock sounds and some classical.

Top Bottom