Which TP-Link Powerline Adapter?

PocketOperator

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I currently have a pair of Netgear AV500 powerline adapters supplied by Virgin (comprising XAV5201 and XWN5001) but have found the XWN5001 is quite poor and often disconnects but shows it's still connected to the network.

I have the XAV5201 in the living room connected to the Superhub 2ac router and the XWN5001 in the bedroom with my 2nd Tivo box connected to it by ethernet and my bedroom TV and Fire TV Stick connected to it over wifi.

As I also have a Tivo box in the living room (connected to the router) I wanted to be able to watch recordings from this box on the bedroom Tivo box but every time I try the TV show stops playback and the Tivo says the network speed is too slow. I am on the 250 meg broadband package but I know the AV500 adapter will be reducing the speed significantly.

I have spoken to Virgin about the issues many times and they have just said they can't do anything as they can't find a fault with the router or broadband and as they only supply the powerline adapters, I would have to contact Netgear directly for support. Unfortunately they didn't make that clear from the beginning and so now the 3 month Netgear support warranty has expired and they want another £59.99 for 6 months support which seems ridiculous to me.

Anyway, I am going to bite the bullet and just buy some new powerline adapters and think that the TP-Link models look good.

I have narrowed it down to three different models:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DAZPCSQ?ref=emc_b_5_i
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JIFYQZM?ref=emc_b_5_t
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G5Q9E2W?ref=emc_b_5_t

I would like 3 ethernet ports so I can connect my TV, Tivo and Steam Link in the bedroom to the network by ethernet and I also need wifi as the Amazon Fire TV Stick doesn't have an ethernet connection, plus the wifi from the Superhub 2 isn't that strong in the bedroom so the powerlines wifi point would give me coverage.

As all of the TP-Link adapters are nearly 3x the speed of the AV500, they should be a lot faster.

My only worry is whether I will still run into problems (particularly with the Tivo box) due to my electrical sockets wiring? I have read that sometimes the internal wiring or circuit connections can cause an issue. I have checked my fuse box and the sockets in the bedroom are on the same circuit as the living room so there shouldn't be an issue there.

Sorry for this long post but could anyone advise which powerline adapter to go for?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I think it is fair to say that no-one can predict how your electrical circuit will behave. They are all different and of course were never designed to carry high frequency, high quality data signals. I do not think there is much choice but to "suck it and see."

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom