1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Toshiba RPTV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by RMCF, Jul 11, 2004.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    I was considering the following RPTV options and would appreciate some advice from anyone with any experience of these products. I've read some threads on this forum about RPTV's and am a bit worried about the problems associated with these TV's. There's no better advice than that of ordinary people who have used them and are 'into' this subject. My alternatives are:

Toshiba 42WH18
    Toshiba 42WH36
    Toshiba 42WH46

Any guidance would be appreicated. It would be my first move into RPTV and if they are more trouble than they are worth, I'll just opt to stick with a regular 32'' CRT widescreen instead.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice. It'll be appreciated before I part with my hard-earned cash.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hope this may help a bit....I've got one of the older 50WT29B models,which lacks progressive scan and a couple of other new additions,but the picture quality and reliability have so far been excellent.

When you first look at one,you'll find the picture settings are all at the maximum....brightness,sharpness,contrast etc,presumably to look good in high ambient light settings like showrooms,so in the average room,your eyes will find it a bit tiring until you adjust everything to about 50% and work from there.
    Convergence is easily adjusted using the user menu,but there are plenty of service level setup advice threads also.

I tried a number of RPTV's(Samsung,Sony,Thomson etc)and several lower priced plasmas before buying,and found the Toshiba had easily the best picture,for my eyes,althought there will be plenty of people with other views.

I think you'll be pleased.....when you go looking,take a favourite DVD,and get the assistant to hook up a DVD player direct to the TV for a demo...much better than most shop video feeds,and at least gives a chance to demo the set properly.

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i have the 42wh46 model and its is a cracking tv in terms of picture quality but there are certain things your going to have to live with. Mainly a faint whitish bar running down the centre of the tv thats visible during bright scenes and when the camera pans horizontally. If you can live with that then its a wonderful tv set.

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That white line is something new that wasn't visible on the earlier series.

5. isileth

isileth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea which is the most recent the 42WH36 or the 42WH46? It's just that on the Toshiba website, the 42WH46 spec mentions a Convergence Stabiliser, and I know the WH36 had convergence issues - I can't see too much difference in the spec between them otherwise, other than a high wattage sound system on the WH36?

6. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The WH36 has been replaced with the WH46. Component inputs have been removed, along with progressive scan and Active vision.
    I've never had any convergance/tinted image/white line issues with my 57WH36 set.
    Mike

7. isileth

isileth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would the progressive scan and Active vision be missed? Toshiba do place the WH46 under the section of their website for Active Vision TV's.

Maybe I should add that I am in the market for a RP TV set, and the Toshiba's are looking like the best option for the money I have to spend - the dilemma now is much the same as the original poster of this thread - WH46 or WH36?

8. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Progressive scan on a CRT RPTV set is a "must"

You will otherwise see the scanlines in the picture without it, the new WH46 series is some stripped down budget model that i can't understand Toshiba bringing to the market as they are a step back from previous models.....

Try find the WH36P models if you are shopping.