1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Tosh RPTV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Nocturne, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Nocturne

Nocturne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can anyone explain any major differences between Tosh 50WT29B & 51WH36, apart from the 50WT29B having freeview, I have sky+ so it may not be an issue. Also which of these is the newer model? I have seen them side by side in the shops & neither with a reduction to being an older model. I can get them around the same price & they are as near as damnit the same size, pic quality is my only major issue. Any advice good or bad greatly appreciated, TIA.

2. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. Nocturne

Nocturne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I had been there, the descriptions of the pic technology are different, 51WH36- "Active Vision – Advanced 100Hz with Active Mode"
    50WT29-"100Hz DFS" Just wondering which was best pic & what it all really means if anything significant.

4. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The 51wh36 has progressive scan and 3 100hz modes (normal, active and natural) where the 50WT29 appears to only have 100DFS.
    Most of us with the WH36 watch in progressive as this illuminates the scan lines.
    Sorry I cant be more help.
    Mike

5. Nocturne

Nocturne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I see, thanks, I have a Hitachi Illumina 43" which packed in after a little over 2 yrs, it has 100hz & prog scan but the prog scan was very flickery & unwatchable, the 100hz pic was superb though, it also had auto convergence, something about the Toshes' I have heard some horror stories about, is it that bad or are some being too picky? I have seen good pics on them in the mainstream shops & I have yet to have met any T.V.salesman/woman in those shops who know what they are on about!
    After a 43" screen I would not go to down in size to 36" crt & I dont think the pics are quite there on the plasmas yet, so it has to be a larger rptv

6. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It appears convergance can be a big issue with these sets. When mine was delivered the convergance needed resetting very frequently (everyday). I wondered if I'd made a mistake buying it. But it settled down quite quickly (few weeks) and now I never need to touch it. I did open my set up and focus it manaully and set the convergance via the service menu.
    Mike

7. Nocturne

Nocturne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ouch! Seems I was spoilt then, just push a button & wait 5 mins, how long does it take to get a decent pic? They must be fairly user friendly to be sold in Comet, Currys,Bennets etc, if they got a lot of hassle from buyers I suppose they would not sell them, but "and now I never need to touch it." sounds good to me! Thanks.