1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which tosh rearpro 50 or 100hz

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kissit, Mar 4, 2003.

1. kissit

kissit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is 100 or 50 hz a crucial factor when buying a tosh rearpro. if not what is ? . currently trying to decide between the tosh 42pw23p and the 42wt29b. the former is around £400 cheaper but is 50hz. or what about the samsung sp42w5hfx - thats 100hz i had discounted the samsung but ive just seen it for £1200
    cheers
    gary

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would get compare the two, side by side with the same material, in a local TV shiop (and both properly setup) I don't know about the 100hz model (I've got the 50hz model), but sometime there areproblems with 100hz- which I didn't fancy taking the risk.

Not saying the 100hz model is bad, because I haven't seen it. However I can't spot any 50hz flicker, so I choose that one.

On (some) 100hz sets, there are processing faults- juddering, pixellating and shimmering.

Nathan

3. daddo

daddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my sony 44" tv,I can see the flicker @ 50hz.But no flicker at all when switch to 100hz.There is no loss of picture quality @ 100hz but rock steady picture,even when watching football.

4. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did yo usee this deal ?
    :smoke:

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Recently bought the Toshiba 50wt29b after comparing it with several others(incl a few plasmas)and the Samsung and Sony.

The 100Hz processing does give a more stabe picture,but the difference in most circumstances is small unless affected by ambient lighting.

The Samsung has a big hot spot in the middle of the screen,and also has much poorer contrast and colour saturation...just nowhere near as good as the Tosh....IMHO

In all,very pleased with the Tosh,but it really does benefit from being properly set up.

6. bigphilm

bigphilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    alexs2, I also have the Tosh 50WT29B have you noticed any flaring whilst watchong SKY

Phil

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Bigphilm....If by flaring you mean colour bleed around very bright logos,then yes.....straight out of the box the thing is set up to look good in a dealer's showroom...the contrast and brightness are set way too high,and the sharpness as well,with the result that you do get colour bleed/flare,and the image always looks a bit sharp and edgy.

Since spending a few hours fiddling with it,my settings are as follows:

Brightness 50
    Contrast 50
    Sharpness -25
    Tint 0

Also it's well worth checking the convergence for a few days after getting the thing into your lounge....mine drifted for a few days and has now settled nicely....the picture is sharp,clear and more than bright enough.

I have to add though that if the video feed(satellite or DVD etc) is poor quality,then it will make it look awful....we've noticed some Sky material is superb in quality...others rubbish.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems a bit too low?- would it blur everything with that setting? I found -2 good.

9. kissit

kissit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the samsung is on currys website @ £1199.

10. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for that ;) They must of reduced the price by £200 recently

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nathan,why not try it at -1,or -3 :rolleyes: ......seriously,my point was that the default factory settings are geared to making the set look pretty dramatic in a high lighting shop situation.

My comments were for phil's benefit,and to illustrate what works perfectly well,with NO blurring in my own nicley darkened room with a good dvd feed,not requiring edge sharpening.

12. bigphilm

bigphilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks alexs2

I don` think the problem is due to setup, but as of last night when watching UKGold every few seconds the screen would be heavily green tinted, thinking this was perhaps the TV I changed to other channels which appeared OK.Switching back to UKGold the problem repeated.

Could this possibly be a problem with signal quality

By the way I connect my Tosh TV to my sky box with a Thor scart

Thanks

13. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anything beyond 0 sharpness introduces ringing, anything below 0 is not advisable.

However, SVM has been disabled.