Which top end av processor or receiver?

As markymikes said, it is sometimes easier to sell on a receiver second hand and you have the option of using its internal amps for height speakers if you don’t want to add another power amp.

Saying that most Anthem and Arcam products are sought after in the second hand market whether it’s a receiver or processor.

Any body any experience with either the anthem avm 60 or the arcam av860 ? ....... What are your thoughts on either of these models ?...... How do you find them for movies and music and what power amp do you have to use with them?
Hi mate, I bought an AVM 60 last Christmas and 2*MCA525 and 1* PVA4 (for atmos) in a 7.1.4 setup. I am using them with Monitor Audio PL300 fronts (bi amped), PLC350 centre(bi amped), PL200 rears, and PL100 surrounds with the PLW15 Sub. Dali Phantom H80 in ceiling atmos speakers. The performance is absolutely stunning and I couldn't be happier. The power and precision of the sound is leagues ahead of the sound I had using a pioneer SC LX90 which was awesome to begin with. I couldn't recommend highly enough.

Hi mate, I bought an AVM 60 last Christmas and 2*MCA525 and 1* PVA4 (for atmos) in a 7.1.4 setup. I am using them with Monitor Audio PL300 fronts (bi amped), PLC350 centre(bi amped), PL200 rears, and PL100 surrounds with the PLW15 Sub. Dali Phantom H80 in ceiling atmos speakers. The performance is absolutely stunning and I couldn't be happier. The power and precision of the sound is leagues ahead of the sound I had using a pioneer SC LX90 which was awesome to begin with. I couldn't recommend highly enough.
Thanks mate for the info, is be useing monitor audio silver 8s,centre, w12 sub and dipole silver rears with kef up firing dolby atmos speakers if I bought one

Another vote from me for the AVM60 out of that list. Although I can't comment on the AV860, I've owned the AV8802A, the AVM60 and the MRX720, in that order.

The 8802A is great, if you turn off Audyssey. I turned off Audyssey as I found it introduced an unnatural warmth, and obscured dialogue somewhat.

The AVM60 sounded very similar to the 8802A, but more precise in that bass wasn't as bloated. It just sounded cleaner. ARC is very flexible, much more so than it appears to be at first. Different ARC settings (and measurement positions) can yield very different results.

I decided to switch to the MRX720, as everyone said it sounds the same as the AVM60 when used as a pre pro. It didn't, the AVM60 sounded better, but there wasn't much between them. I can't really explain this, as I know they share a pre stage, but there were scenes in films I know very well where something was missing. If I had to make the same choice again, I would've kept the AVM60.

As Rich says, Anthem and Arcam both hold their value. I wouldn't base your choice on resale value. I sold both my Anthem pre and the MRX, and they both held their value equally well.

Re the AV860: I don't know what your room's like, but I would imagine Dirac really comes into its own in more reverberant rooms. So if your room's untreated and has hard surfaces, that's something to consider.

As a wildcard, and while I haven't looked at them in detail, I would be tempted to consider the Marantz AV7703. I had the AV7702 and it sounded as good as the 8802A. In blind tests on AVS, people couldn't tell the difference. The 7703 can be had for at least £2k less than you're looking at spending on the Anthems or Arcam. I gather - although might be wrong - that the new Audyssey app allows one to set a cut-off for room correction, such that you could, for example, cut off correction at 5kHz - it's the higher frequencies Audyssey plays havoc with IMO. I daresay that if you spent that £2k saving on a quality sub, and some room treatment, that would give you the best overall result.

Another thing worth mentioning that hasn't been said yet is the quality of video going through the receiver/processor.

Unless Marantz have changed their video chip which I don't think they have, I found when I briefly owned one there was a very noticeable degradation of the picture quality. No settings changed it. I've owned Anthems in the past and the picture appeared to pass through untouched. Not sure on the Arcam. Just thought I would mention it.

Well it's down to the arcam av860 or the anthem avm 60 ..... Choosing the power amp isn't easy either lol.... Choosing between the Emotiva, ati or anthem amps

@mouldy15

I can help you a little fwiw.

Arcam have been riding on their HiFi rep for a while now, they made warm easy listening stuff, they always have. A few years ago they nearly killed off their entire AV range because it was badly designed and absolutely riddled with bugs, they did manage to claw it back to a reasonable level with the last two gens of amps, especially the current lot, however....

If you want a pleasant sounding but incredibly boring / safe system, then the Arcam is for you - whatever way they implemented Dirac on board was messy and I have yet to hear the Arcams wow me in modest to top end setups.

The Anthems are not as pretty on the outside (arguably) and ARC isn't as tweak-able as Dirac, it simply isn't. But 99.9% of people cannot use Dirac properly, not even the people at Arcam. ARC is a much better set and forget tool with some tweaking - overall it's a much more transparent sounding processor with better bass management and certainly a lot more lively in it's delivery.

The D&M stuff probably has the best HDMI switching and speaker configs but as mentioned their inline scaler even when off rapes the picture and without completely disabling the OSD it will remain on - that aside I think they sound pretty good, good VFM stuff.

ATI & Anthem are have big heritage with power amps, you really can't buy a bad one. Emotiva sound very good too, not as good but better VFM. It's going to give you a high percentage of every other power amps delivery.

Consider your diminishing returns, product reliability, manufacturer support, dealer support and demo where possible - personally, I think it's a pretty easy choice. I would take into consideration also that HDMI 2.1 will address a shitload of problems that currently plague users when it comes to HDR and Hz - I don't think you'll see this on any upcoming processors until sept 2018.

@mouldy15

I can help you a little fwiw.

Arcam have been riding on their HiFi rep for a while now, they made warm easy listening stuff, they always have. A few years ago they nearly killed off their entire AV range because it was badly designed and absolutely riddled with bugs, they did manage to claw it back to a reasonable level with the last two gens of amps, especially the current lot, however....

If you want a pleasant sounding but incredibly boring / safe system, then the Arcam is for you - whatever way they implemented Dirac on board was messy and I have yet to hear the Arcams wow me in modest to top end setups.

The Anthems are not as pretty on the outside (arguably) and ARC isn't as tweak-able as Dirac, it simply isn't. But 99.9% of people cannot use Dirac properly, not even the people at Arcam. ARC is a much better set and forget tool with some tweaking - overall it's a much more transparent sounding processor with better bass management and certainly a lot more lively in it's delivery.

The D&M stuff probably has the best HDMI switching and speaker configs but as mentioned their inline scaler even when off rapes the picture and without completely disabling the OSD it will remain on - that aside I think they sound pretty good, good VFM stuff.

ATI & Anthem are have big heritage with power amps, you really can't buy a bad one. Emotiva sound very good too, not as good but better VFM. It's going to give you a high percentage of every other power amps delivery.

Consider your diminishing returns, product reliability, manufacturer support, dealer support and demo where possible - personally, I think it's a pretty easy choice. I would take into consideration also that HDMI 2.1 will address a sh*tload of problems that currently plague users when it comes to HDR and Hz - I don't think you'll see this on any upcoming processors until sept 2018.
So what your saying is that I can't go wrong with ati and anthem..... I have liked the anthem avm 60 I like the fact you can have 4 profiles for different music and seems to be future proof...

So what your saying is that I can't go wrong with ati and anthem..... I have liked the anthem avm 60 I like the fact you can have 4 profiles for different music and seems to be future proof...

They all have various pros and cons and you're in the upper middle class bracket of kit - everything after this is £10k+

I use Lyngdorf for processing and Anthem & Lyngdorf also for power amps. I would still have the Anthem if I had to downgrade, this will give you the best sound of your 3 choices imo.

Talk to Rich at @Seriously Ltd he'll do you a deal I'm sure with you being an AVF member an all that malarkey.

They all have various pros and cons and you're in the upper middle class bracket of kit - everything after this is £10k+

I use Lyngdorf for processing and Anthem & Lyngdorf also for power amps. I would still have the Anthem if I had to downgrade, this will give you the best sound of your 3 choices imo.

Talk to Rich at @Seriously Ltd he'll do you a deal I'm sure with you being an AVF member an all that malarkey.
What do you think of the ati amp's ? Dya reckon they're much better than the anthem amps?

What do you think of the ati amp's ? Dya reckon they're much better than the anthem amps?

Hmm.. I've no idea tbh - both of them are very well designed I do know that, by proper amp engineers. I wouldn't feel shortchanged if I had one over the other - you'd likely not be able to tell them apart in a blind test.

The only way you can tell things apart is if it's a room you're really used to and has been properly set up /treated by people who know what they are doing. I've no idea on the pricing of these things since I bought my Anthem.. which ATI and Anthem models where you considering?

Hmm.. I've no idea tbh - both of them are very well designed I do know that, by proper amp engineers. I wouldn't feel shortchanged if I had one over the other - you'd likely not be able to tell them apart in a blind test.

The only way you can tell things apart is if it's a room you're really used to and has been properly set up /treated by people who know what they are doing. I've no idea on the pricing of these things since I bought my Anthem.. which ATI and Anthem models where you considering?
Maybe the anthem mca 525 or ati at 527 or 4007... Or even maybe Emotiva xpa-5 gen 3?

Processor ? Have a look at emotivas range the xmc - 1 now has uk support and the new rmc - 1 SHOULD be out soon the reviews are outstanding "burr brown" analogue and the option to run dual subs it's what I went with and very glad i did the detail is amazing and it has Dirac

Last edited:
Processor ? Have a look at emotivas range the xmc - 1 now has uk support and the new rmc - 1 SHOULD be out soon the reviews are outstanding "burr brown" analogue and the option to run dual subs it's what I went with and very glad i did the detail is amazing and it has Dirac
I must admit I've heard one or 2 negative things about Dirac.... One that it's over complicated

Maybe the anthem mca 525 or ati at 527 or 4007... Or even maybe Emotiva xpa-5 gen 3?

The new MCA series for sound and matching aesthetics with the Anthem, the Emo gen 3 for value and the ATI somewhere in the middle I guess. It just comes down to how much you want to spend and what you actually want.

I must admit I've heard one or 2 negative things about Dirac.... One that it's over complicated

It is. It's a good EQ in theory and if you have the chops to twinkle with it, have at it. I've yet to hear anyone do a good job on it. It's kinda like Trinnov's TEQ which is super powerful but really easy to make and absolute mess of - great if you get it right tho.

Only as much as you want it to be

I've heard arc , audessy and Dirac and it's the best of the three imo

The thing with the xmc -1 is you are getting close to a 10k piece of kit for a fraction of the cost .

The thing that put a lot of people off was until last year you could only buy direct and for warranty and such had to ship back to emotiva in the USA now we have uk suport and distributers it's a non issue .

The anthem is probably the best out but we are talking diminishing returns but it's 10k + or was when I was looking how much that extra % means to you to outlay 7k+ is up to you

Though it's too early to tell how the new rmc will perform but from specs it's looks next level for price / performance

Last edited:
As suggested best the op hears for himself. A lot of personal bias towards certain brands and utter nonsense spouted under the guise of knowledge.

There will always be personal bias. One mans and all that.

I prefer Anthem and recommend them to clients as I like what the Anthems do, how they sound, ARC and their reliability.
I’ve also taken on Arcam as their is a demand for them and justifiably so.

Emotiva are great VFM and the RMC-1 looks promising. If it’s any good then yes we will supply these too.

There will always be personal bias. One mans and all that.

I prefer Anthem and recommend them to clients as I like what the Anthems do, how they sound, ARC and their reliability.
I’ve also taken on Arcam as their is a demand for them and justifiably so.

Emotiva are great VFM and the RMC-1 looks promising. If it’s any good then yes we will supply these too.

Emotiva are not just great vfm rich have you seen the reviews the xmc -1 got ?

Have you heard one yet ? Dan supplies them doesn't he ?

I bet you would love it mate .

If not and you fancy it more than welcome to hear mine with the Arendals in London [emoji106]

Emotiva are not just great vfm rich have you seen the reviews the xmc -1 got ?

Have you heard one yet ? Dan supplies them doesn't he ?

I bet you would love it mate .

If not and you fancy it more than welcome to hear mine with the Arendals in London [emoji106]

I have heard the xmc-1. The rmc-1 looks very promising and I will be listening to one in the next few months.

Thanks for the offer and I may well take you up on that as every system I hear is a learning curve, appreciated.

No chat about the Classe SSP Sigma as a processor?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom