Which top end av processor or receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mouldy15, Sep 30, 2017.

1. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi guys I'm in the market for a new processor or receiver..... Im upgrading from a marantz sr7010 ....
    I'm looking at either the....
    Marantz av8802a with the marantz mm8077
    Yamaha cxa 5100 with the yamaha mxa 5000 or
    Arcam av 850........ I will be hopefully doing a listening test of all 3......
    My speakers I'll be useing will be Mr monitor audio silver series speakers!
    I currently have the marantz sr7010 and use the nakimichi avp1 power amplifier but doubt it'll be up to the standard of the other 2 power amps suggested....
    I look forward to some feedback thanks..... Just to add music is important to me as movies.... I'm looking to a improvement in quality

2. MadScientist

MadScientist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    The 8802A is due for replacement soon so it may be worth hanging on a while to see what that’s like. I wasn't that impressed with the Audyssey implementation on my 8802A - there was an audible whine on the system when it was engaged. The Arcam AV860 would be high on my audition list.

3. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    What power amplifier would you use with the av860 ?

4. MadScientist

MadScientist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    One of your options is a 7-channel amp, the other 11 so I think firstly you need to decide how many channels you need and what’s your budget?

I’ve owned Musical Fidelity, Bryston and Naim power amps and have now moved over to a Trinnov (rebadged ATI) Class D, 8-channel amp just to cut down on the number of boxes. I think the Hypex Ncore Class D amps more than hold their own against the former brands so, as well as the usual suspects from Arcam, Marantz etc, I would also consider these (i.e. from ATI or Nord).

5. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Nakamichi amps from what I remember were high quality, so try it out with the new system before thinking of changing.

If you have the room and can hide them away (Plus don’t mind a little setup) just purchase the required number of Behringer A500 amplifiers A500 | Studio Monitor Amplifiers | Power Amplifiers | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group as being pro amps (Hence don’t have the looks or convenience of Home amps) they are equivalent to Hi-Fi/Home Cinema amps at 4 or 5 times there price. (There is also no house sound that a lot of Hi-Fi manufactures add)

There are many options out there, (Particularly in the pro world) so don’t think you have to go for a Hi-Fi/Home Cinema amp to get the best results.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Bill

6. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yes I probably will look at the arcam av860 and the marantz av8802a..... I just wanted a idea about suitable power amplifiers....... I did think it may not be up to the same quality as the other power amplifiers but suppose don't know until I try it out with the chosen 2 processors !

7. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Decided to go with a arcam av860 partnered with a oppo udp-205 blu ray player for movies and music !
    Going to partner it with the...
    Arcam p349 and P429 power amplifiers unless any one has a better solution !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    Anthem AVM60 in this price bracket would be our recommendation and our preferred choice for installations.

Power amp wise there are very good options. The matching Anthem MCA Series amps are excellent.

AB amps are also very nice.

Regards

[email protected]

9. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Why do you think the avm 60 is better than the arcam av860 ? Also what do you think about the anthem power amplifiers?

10. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Any body any experience with either the anthem avm 60 or the arcam av860 ? ....... What are your thoughts on either of these models ?...... How do you find them for movies and music and what power amp do you have to use with them?

11. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    I just prefer the end results with the Anthem. I also personally like ARC more. You have the option of loading 4 different EQ profiles for example screen up, door closed, 2 channel and so on. Very flexible. I feel the Anthem has a more exciting sound.

The Arcam is great, we supply both so they each have to be good for this reason alone or we wouldn’t supply/install them. It’s just a case of personal preference through experience with both units.

I really like the Anthem power amplifiers. The MCA series sounds very clean and neutral and we also install a fair few. The PVA series comes in at a nice price point and sounds very good. Lots of channel options available within both ranges. There is also the awesome P series too.

12. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Which series of amplifiers do you recommend with anthem avm 60...... I'd be looking at a 7.1 system to start with!

13. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Sorry I shouldve said a 5.1.2 to start with

14. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    I think you would be hard pressed to beat the new Ati Ncore power amps. Every review I've seen has been very impressed. That's where my money would go. I believe there is a UK distributor now too. That combined with the AV860 would make a pretty amazing system. Dirac IMHO is far superior to Arc.

15. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Whom is this distributor? I'll take a look on the website if they have one

16. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Just spotted your other thread down the page. Allan from Ideal AV posted on it. He's now selling them.

Here's a review from a website I trust and who actually take measurements :)

ATI AT527NC and AT524NC Amplifiers Review

Would be interested in your opinion should you get one, as I too am slumming it with the Nakamichi's. I'm hoping one day that the ATI is in my future.

17. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'm weighing it all up between the arcam av860, the anthem avm 60 and corresponding amps Inc your suggestions..... I've decided against the marantz av8802a at least..... It's between the arcam and the anthem now but was going to get the power amps to match but I'm also open to suggestions like yours

18. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,326
    Have you considered the Anthem MRX720 with an Emotiva PA combo?

19. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    You probably need to try and get a home demo of both. Nothing like hearing in your own room.

Obviously matching looks nicer, but not necessary. I mean they're not exactly pretty black boxes ;)

20. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I haven't actually I'll take a look

21. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    The matching MCA Series.

22. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,326
    There are some forum members that have switched from the AVM60 to the MRX720 and paired with decent power amps, such as the Emotiva XPA Gen 3.

Have a look through the owners threads, but I'll tag the members I'm thinking about as they may be happy to share their thoughts... @Steven1210 @DougAP @DodgeTheViper

23. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Is the MRX720 a new model also why sway to a receiver and not stick to the processor .?

24. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    The MRX 720 works extremely well as a pre amp utilising power amps.

Theoretically a processor will have a cleaner signal path and in turn a higher fidelity sound. Whether you will hear this or not is open to debate. The AVM60 also has balanced XLR outs which can reduce signal interference but mainly over long cable runs. We have found using XLR connections has removed subwoofer hum a few times.

We ran an AVM60 for a while in our own room as that’s how much we liked it. We also use many Anthem products for client installs as well as Uber high end processors from Trinnov, Steinway, Acurus and Lyngdorf.

Re the Arcam/Anthem debate is horses for courses.

Whichever you opt for you will be happy.

25. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Main reasons I would suggest are the resale value on processors is usually dreadful and in reality there's probably very little difference in sound using the preouts on a receiver. Obviously removing a possible source of interference is a plus, whether you can hear it is another thing.

Also it's possible that having internal amps is handy, depending on the configuration possibilities of the receiver. ie you might make do with internal amps for ceiling speakers and use a power amp for the main channels.

*Edit* Rich beat me to it. :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  26. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    As markymikes said, it is sometimes easier to sell on a receiver second hand and you have the option of using its internal amps for height speakers if you don’t want to add another power amp.

Saying that most Anthem and Arcam products are sought after in the second hand market whether it’s a receiver or processor.

27. hankcharlie

hankcharlie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi mate, I bought an AVM 60 last Christmas and 2*MCA525 and 1* PVA4 (for atmos) in a 7.1.4 setup. I am using them with Monitor Audio PL300 fronts (bi amped), PLC350 centre(bi amped), PL200 rears, and PL100 surrounds with the PLW15 Sub. Dali Phantom H80 in ceiling atmos speakers. The performance is absolutely stunning and I couldn't be happier. The power and precision of the sound is leagues ahead of the sound I had using a pioneer SC LX90 which was awesome to begin with. I couldn't recommend highly enough.

28. mouldy15

mouldy15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks mate for the info, is be useing monitor audio silver 8s,centre, w12 sub and dipole silver rears with kef up firing dolby atmos speakers if I bought one

29. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    We recently removed a Pioneer receiver from a clients MA Platinum home cinema system and replaced it with MRX 1120. It sounded awesome.

30. DougAP

DougAP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +819
    Another vote from me for the AVM60 out of that list. Although I can't comment on the AV860, I've owned the AV8802A, the AVM60 and the MRX720, in that order.

The 8802A is great, if you turn off Audyssey. I turned off Audyssey as I found it introduced an unnatural warmth, and obscured dialogue somewhat.

The AVM60 sounded very similar to the 8802A, but more precise in that bass wasn't as bloated. It just sounded cleaner. ARC is very flexible, much more so than it appears to be at first. Different ARC settings (and measurement positions) can yield very different results.

I decided to switch to the MRX720, as everyone said it sounds the same as the AVM60 when used as a pre pro. It didn't, the AVM60 sounded better, but there wasn't much between them. I can't really explain this, as I know they share a pre stage, but there were scenes in films I know very well where something was missing. If I had to make the same choice again, I would've kept the AVM60.

As Rich says, Anthem and Arcam both hold their value. I wouldn't base your choice on resale value. I sold both my Anthem pre and the MRX, and they both held their value equally well.

Re the AV860: I don't know what your room's like, but I would imagine Dirac really comes into its own in more reverberant rooms. So if your room's untreated and has hard surfaces, that's something to consider.

As a wildcard, and while I haven't looked at them in detail, I would be tempted to consider the Marantz AV7703. I had the AV7702 and it sounded as good as the 8802A. In blind tests on AVS, people couldn't tell the difference. The 7703 can be had for at least £2k less than you're looking at spending on the Anthems or Arcam. I gather - although might be wrong - that the new Audyssey app allows one to set a cut-off for room correction, such that you could, for example, cut off correction at 5kHz - it's the higher frequencies Audyssey plays havoc with IMO. I daresay that if you spent that £2k saving on a quality sub, and some room treatment, that would give you the best overall result.