Which to buy the 36" Panasonic PD30 or Philips 9618

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Rodon, May 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Rodon

Rodon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I could do with some advice in choosing a 36” set - between the Panny PD30 and the Philips 9618. My main concern is picture quality, primarily for DVD’s, as I have a Panny HT75 home cinema system. The shimmering around fast moving objects would be a concern and good 3 dimensional pictures/detail would be a preference.
    I would appreciate feedback on this.

Rob.

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rodon,

I bought my 36PW9618 last month and it was more than I ever hoped it would be. The picture is stunning, and it's tempting to play with the settings for ever! I keep mine on Pixel Plus setting, Movie Plus is good for fast moving objects and for something like football you could use 100Hz Digital Scan.

Maxi, Hem and I have bought this model last month and we are all very happy with this. Like all televisions you need a good picture source. My analogue picture shows some shimmering but Sky + picture is wonderful. I have friends with a PD30 and
    the picture (maybe not properly set up) is not as good as the Philips. The remote control is excellent too as you can alter aspect ratios, different surround sounds, etc. without going into the menu.

If you read the thread (quite a long one) on Pixel Plus on this page you will read our opinions. I don't have a DVD but Maxi mentions it gives a brilliant picture with DVD.

Read the Panasonic PD30 sticky thread on this page as there have been some problems with them. Likewise the PW9617 last year, the latest batch of PW9618 seem to be good ones.

Whichever you choose, have a lot of fun with it.

3. Rodon

Rodon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cynthia,

thank you very much for your informative responce. You have definately swayed me more toward the 9618.
    Thanks again, will be in touch to let you know how I get on.

Rob.