Which to buy? (Players listed in body...)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tsacrey, Sep 5, 2007.

1. tsacrey

tsacrey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just joined up...I recently got a $150 cdn gift cert from my bank for Future Shop, and I wanted to upgrade to an HD-Upscaling DVD player. I was checking out the Future Shop website for some options, and I came up with the following:

Panasonic Upconverting DVD Player (DVDS53K) - Black
    Pioneer Upconverting HDMI DVD Player With 1080P and DivX (DV-400V-K)
    Samsung 1-Disc Progressive Scan DVD Player With 1080p & DivX (DVD-1080P7)
    Samsung Upconverting DVD Player (DVD-HD870/XAC)
    Sony HDMI Precision Cinema Progressive 5-Discs DVD Player (DVP-NC85H)

Ok, now to all that will automatically recommend the Sony, I read that this model has a tray-jamming issue, and the 5-disc capacity isn't really that important to me. Furthermore, it cannot play DivX. That being said, however, I'd still like to include it, as the quality of my media experience is still my top priority. All I'm looking for is some honest opinions backed up by a little personal experience. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Cheers!

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    You won't go far wrong with tbe Pioneer. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.

3. square-eyes-baz

square-eyes-baz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Welcome.
    By coincedence I was in Future shop (Clareview, Edmonton) just 2 1/2 weeks ago checking out what players they had. Anyway , id go for the Pioneer as well:thumbsup:

4. dibdab

dibdab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Another vote for pioneer. :thumbsup:

It does exactly what it says on the tin, no fussing around constantly.

5. tsacrey

tsacrey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks everyone, keep the comments coming, but the Pioneer looks good...let's hope that it's still available by the time I get my gift card. LOL.

Cheers!

6. tsacrey

tsacrey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all! Well, I got my gift card yesterday...so, in good fashion, I went to Future Shop last night. Unfortunately, their DVD player sale was over...so I paid a little more than I wanted to, but with a $150 gift card, I can't really complain. I got the Pioneer DV-400V-K, and from what I see so far, me likey.

However, something I didn't realize, is that HDMI cables cost just as much or more than the HD-upconverting DVD players themselves. At first I was confused, as I know I saw HDMI cables in places like Wal-Mart for much cheaper ($30), but the guy at Future Shop I was talking to said that they are much lower quality and could cause "flickering." He then proceeded to talk about digital signals and 1's and 0's and how there's a delay and that the better the cable, the lesser the delay....ANYhoo...how much difference is there really? I got this "Monster" $100 cable and it seems to work great, no problems, but I didn't get hoodwinked did I? I'll probably still stick with this cable unless someone can tell me without any doubt that it really won't make any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

7. dibdab

dibdab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Oh i hate to say it but a cheap cable will do just fine for short runs under 5 metres i think it is, there's no difference.

If you can get somthing of the net for cheaper i would or the cheapest they have in the store.