Which to buy: Pioneer PDP-427XD or Panasonic TH-42PX600?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by McKinley, Dec 31, 2006.

1. McKinley

McKinley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My wife and I have decided to replace our 32" Panasonic LCD with a 42" Plasma.

Our primary viewing is movies and tv, as well as some xbox360.

I've spent a long while now reading through threads on both models and am still undecided as to which to buy. Getting a (proper) demo of both isn't easy for me so advice would be appreciated.

Of particular concern to me are:

Black Levels - from what I've read the Panasonics have better blacks (I like to have the option of watching movies with the lights down), so if the Pioneer has grey or washed out blacks in low light this will be a problem.

Picture Quality - my reading suggests the Panasonic has more noise, but seems more true to life. The Pioneer has been praised for its stunning image quality, but the contrast is possibly too high.

Purple Snakes! - does the PX600 suffer from this probem? Seemed to be PX60 owners with this issue, but again, I need to know if it affects the PX600!

I was all set to get the Pioneer because of its superb deinterlacing, 24p support and that gloss black frame. However, if the Panasonic really produces noticably better blacks then this may swing it to the Panasonic.

I'd really appreciate it if you could be as subjective as possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Phil

2. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I dont know about others but the pio has excellent black level...and the level of detail on them is better than the panny.

3. McKinley

McKinley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    How are the black levels in low-light viewing conditions? My LCDs blacks are grey and the graduations very indistinct.

4. razbox

razbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The PX60 and PX600 have the same panel so they have the same strengths and weaknesses.

I've never had purple anything on my PX600.

5. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

;How are the black levels in low-light viewing conditions? My LCDs blacks are grey and the graduations very indistinct;

You wont have this problem with the pio....I promise you that.

6. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ithink you will find hardly any noticable difference to the Panny or Pioneer blacks - they are very close and probably too close to call except on side by side comparisons...
    You will notice the difference between the Pana and the Pio when it comes to colour bit depth and processing though - the Pio wins here.
    BUT at the end of the day once you get either set home and set up I doubt you would be disatisfied, although the Pana purple snakes problem does seem to be a bit of a risk, a bit of a gamble unitl they come up with a fix

7. McKinley

McKinley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi AngryofMayfair.
    Thanks for your reply. Saw your 507XD pics in that thread - very nice :)
    Any chance of some pics of dark scenes in low lighting? I found stuff like LOTR spoiled on my LCD by the grey 'blacks' when viewing in very low lighting and it would be nice to get an impression of the Pioneers abilities.

8. johnny-17

johnny-17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I've had last year's Panasonic( PV500) which didn't suit me as I hated the 'very obvious' colour banding, although the general colours and blacks were both good.I swopped to a pioneer and everything is now great - movies are amazing even without hidef, Xbox 360 is fantastic on 720p and as far as I can see, blacks are well, 'black'. Don't worry about the blacks on the Pioneeer at all as there's other stuff to contend with on other models that you will NOT like once you've watched them for a while. My biggest worry when buying was getting 'good contrast' and I didn't even consider 'colour banding' as an issue until I lived with the Pansonic for a month. I don't like watching live action with 'cartoon effects' if they're not intentional! (Sometimes it was that bad) My friend has also since bought a Pioneer and is equally fussy and now equally impressed. Yes there will be better models in the future and they may well even be cheaper although quality is starting to suffer mind you as a result of consumers constantly driving down prices though, but hey, the prices are seriously good already for what you get now!. I've had the best 12 months of tv viewing this last year and if blacks are better on next years sets then so what, what I've got already is the best that our house has ever had !!!! I now just watch tv NOT the picture. Get youself 'off the bandwagon' and start to enjoy, you'll have no regrets afterwards - trust me !!!!

9. acereborn

acereborn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    According to a Swedish magazine they measured the same black level on the panny 42 inch as on the pio 507xd. Their black level was about 4.5 times lower compared to the best LCDs (sharp, sony, philips)