Which to buy ? Philips 37pf9731 or 37pf9631 ?

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Dogz111, Aug 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Dogz111

Dogz111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a new TV.

Quite like the Philips models due to Ambilight. My parents have a 37PF9830 which is brilliant.

I'm torn between either the 37PF9731 (£1925) or the 37PF9631 (£1400).

Based on the £500 saving from one to the other, is it worth paying the extra for Ambilight surround, Pixel+ 3 and a better panel.

I don't really know alot about TVs so any comments appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

2. jollygood

jollygood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got the 9531 which is the same as 9631 without HD Tuner built in. I will go for the 9731 without a doubt even for the extra money, it's got clear LCD, PP3, 3ms response, True HD, 3 ambilight etc...

3. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It depends how much you want to spend. I have the 9631 and the picture quality is excellent. I would thoroughly recommend it. However, if you're not shy of an extra £500, then certainly consider the 9731 for it's extra features. However, have a read through the 9731 thread first. One member has reported what he believes are some image processing issues, although others are very happy.

4. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There is indeed a few issues with the 37PF9731D. I had the 37PF9631D, and, because of a dead pixel, (and therfore to sweeten the shop a little!) I exchanged it for the 37PF9731D. Its a lovely set dont get me wrong, but there are a few problems, chiefly for me being the incorrect vertical positioning of the image when a 1080 image through HDMI is shown. As our resident expert Chambeaj noticed a while back, the set will go into 1:1 pixel mapping mode when sent a 1080 signal showing zero overscan, but crucially, you cant position the image vertically. (I'm sure Chambeaj can put it better!). Incidently Chambeaj, in answer to your question to me, I use a Sony RDR-HX910 DVD recorder, which can upscale to 720p or 1080i, obviously, there's no green line visible when feeding a 720p scource....
    Steve.

5. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I know this may seem a strange question but,

Do you by any chance have a R2 copy of 'Star Wars III - Revenge of the Sith' ?

6. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes I do! Tell me what to look for and I'll go do it now.....

7. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I am going from memory and cannot load up the disk myself (for visual reference) until I get home this evening!!

However, if you load up the DVD and go to the chapter selection menu, there is the background picture (greyish) with all the array of windows showing clips from the various chapters of the movie (if I recall correctly!!).

A minor/easy to see example of the faullt I saw resided somewhere around the centre to right upper quartile of the screen.

If you go to this menu screen (HDMI, 1080i, Picture format set to 'Wide') do you see anything which looks wrong ?

Sorry if this sounds strange - but I am still very curious why no one else has spotted the other problem I encountered with this set.

Regards
    Adrian

8. Crazy Goose

Crazy Goose
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,

I don't mean to offend but this is techie geekdom gone mad .

The Philips 37PF9731D is a superb TV with a superb picture quality, BUT if you want spend 2 hours watching the chapter menu from the Star Wars III DVD in upside down, round the back, super dooper, standing on your head mode :rolleyes: then it's crap so don't buy it !! :thumbsdow

It's like on of those silly dot pictures where if you stare at it long enough then close your eyes you can see an image of Jesus Christ .

regards

CG

9. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190

You've completely missed the point.

The fault described elsewhere is very destructive of picture quality under the right circumstances (potentially a major fault/firmware bug in the picture processing engine and painfully visible when it occurs). The problem is it does not happen with all source material. Hence, the above is an attempt to isolate a scene/source material which will show up a minor example of the problem.

10. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've checked this out, and yes I can see what you mean Chambeaj, I think... It seems to be in the grey areas predominantly, and reminds me of an effect I saw on the 1st couple of generaration of plasma screens, (I remember those first screens being simply terrible reproducing certain shades of colour, as if the set couldn't generate enough colours!) but obviously nowhere near as bad. I think this could be sorted quite easily as you say, with a firmware upgrade. However the main bugbear for me is with the vertical positioning problem. This set is being sold as its 1080 resolution being its main 'hook' so to speak. Yet it is not able to display a 1080 image through HDMI properly...
    A damn shame, since it goes into 1:1 pixel mapping mode too...
    Any other thoughts, opinions of this set?
    Steve.

11. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    What I witnessed on two sets/two different DVD players was what I could only describe as macro blocking. Effectively a patch of grey (around 1.5 inches across) in that upper right quartile - looks digitised around the edges - shifting in brightness levels and pixels twinkling (turning on and off). Much-much worse examples can be found with specific sections of the preview material on BBC HD.

Also with some of the explosions in the battle scene at the beginning of Star Wars III you can see the picture in the area of the explosion briefly becomes all blocky and its not the DVD or the DVD player. Same scenes look flawless on a Philips 37PF9830 or a Pioneer 436 Plasma etc.

Its a shame as but for these two bugs the 9731 would imho easily be the best LCD TV currently available on the UK market.

I was amazed at how good 'Matrix Reloaded' (motorway chase scene) looked on the 9731. Colours were so vivid, great picture depth, and the motion was just so sharp/clear (no perceivable signs of traditional LCD motion blur or break up etc).

12. fishman09

fishman09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    hi chambeaj and everyone else of course :)

i've read with interest the things you've highlighted with the 32pf9731 and to be honest it has made think twice about the tv. However having seen the
    32 + 36 pf9631 in comet the other day, i was suitably impressed.

due to the 37pf9830 and the 37pf9631 being almost identical in specs...neither has clear lcd/pp3hd (both have pp2hd/digital natural motion)...in your opinion (as you rate the 9830 pic so highly)...would the 37pf9631 be the one to plump for.

to be honest, of the models available at the mo, the 37pf9631 is the only one i can afford in the philips range at that size, so if the new additions to the
    37pf9731d's pic processing are detremental, surely the 37pf9631 which mimics in spec the 9830, is the one to get?

comments and advice always appreciated

fish

13. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190

In general the 37PF9830 does produce very sharp/detailed pictures with no distracting artifacts and with minimal LCD motion blur (i.e. on horizontal pans) and no perceivable judder. Good scaling/de-interlacing and motion. However, the 9830 does suffer from a lack of detail in dark scenes (i.e. crushed black level detail) and bad colour banding with low bit-rate sources such as Sky.

I have not seen the 37PF9631 so cannot pass fair judgement on this model.

It might be worth keeping in mind that the new Sharp LC-37XD1E (a true 1080p capable display) can be pre-ordered for as little as £1200 (www.avsales.co.uk) which if I am not mistaken is slightly less than the cost of a 37PF9631. It all comes down to your timeframe as the Sharp will likely not be available for some weeks to come.

If I were you I'd find a small local retailer who has the 9631 in their showroom, take along a handful of test DVDs, and satisfy yourself as to whether or not the display truely meets your expectations.

14. fishman09

fishman09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    @chambeaj

good shout on the demo in the smaller retailer...unfortunately in swansea (south wales) no-one but the 'chains' stock the philips

i viewed the 32pf9631d running a hd feed?!?! in currys..looked awesome. Saw the tx-32LXD600 there also and that was pretty good too. Its one of those moments in life i suppose where you can dilly dally and look at all the different options and end up , as i have numerous times over the last few weeks, back at square one.

i suppose i need to spin the lottery wheel, order off the net and pray it meets my expectations

cheers for the reply tho fella

fish

15. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190

At least if you order online then if you find something wrong you can send the display back under the 7 day distance selling act for a full refund.

Good luck

Regards
    Adrian

16. 1spaceboo

1spaceboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi crazy goose,
    I am also thinking of one of these philips lcd's, but not sure about the ambilight, how do you rate it? I was going to wall mount it but one the pulled out so would be visible in the whole room, this would mean not being plush against a wall, does the ambilight still work like this?

Thanks.

17. lisajc999

lisajc999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I bought the 37pf9631 just over a month ago and the colour is distorted already and cannot be resolved even by restoring the tv to its factory settings. When working the tv was great. I am suitably impressed with the ambilght and sound quality and cannot imagine going back to anything without ambilight. I am now waiting for an engineer to take the tv away, investigate the issue and hopefully resolve it. I am not sure if this is a common issue but will let you know the outcome.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so could they let me know what resolved the issue?

18. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nope. No problems with mine.

19. lisajc999

lisajc999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, have you wall mounted your 37pf9631 and if so what brackets did you use? Just in case I get my tv back from being repaired.

Incidentally the guys who took it away said that is what I should expect from a Philips and the only way that they would have one is if someone gave it to them. Hmmm! Makes mw wonder what kind of service I am going to get from those who are fixing it. They were extremely negative about Philips.

20. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just don't get this anti-Philips cr*p. It's generally from people who've never owned one ( I make an honourable exception for Chambeaj) and who just trot out received 'wisdom' from others just like them. Rumour upon rumour upon lie...... rant over :)

I would be EXTREMELY worried about the repairers your set has gone to. I'm assuming they're approved Philps repairers, given that your set is still under guarantee. I'd be tempted to drop Philips a line and let them know about the unprofessional conduct of these people.

No, I don't have mine wall mounted so can't help you there I'm afraid.

I was sitting watching my set last night, thinking how damned good it made SD broadcasts look. Almost HD, with a decent signal. I would definitely buy it again.

21. lisajc999

lisajc999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still waiting for my Phillips 37pf9631 to be fixed and have sat watching a 13" over Christmas. I have contacted the repairers, Phillips and even the company I bought it from and none of them can give me a clue as to when I will get my tv back or if it will be replaced. It has now been over a month.

If and when I do eventually get my tv back I hope that the extremely poor picture quality has been sorted. The ambilight was working fine though :thumbsup:

22. lisajc999

lisajc999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no sign of my Philips 37pf9631. Not sure when I will get it back. Philips will not replace it until it has been repaired 3 times!!!!

The company (Service Care) that are repairing it keep saying that the engineers are looking into the problem and trying to fix it. Apparently they have had the parts in for over a week and no resolution yet but then they have more or less said that for the past few weeks. It seems that I could go for an extremely long time before Philips will replace. So until then I will have to sit and watch through my 13" tv.

Has anyone got a good idea of what I could buy as a second tv and reasonably priced? Not as big as a 37 inch though, just something to replace my 13" until I get my tv back as a 13" is not great viewing pleasure but better than nothing I suppose.

23. lisajc999

lisajc999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now spoken with the repairers and they have said that they have not resolved the fault with the spare part they ordered and now have to order a different part. I have been onto Philips who say they cannot replace the tv and the second replacement part does not constitute a 2nd repair as the tv did not come back to us inbetween.

I have spoken with the company who sold us the tv and they are trying speaking with Philips to see if we can get a replacement as it went wrong just outside the 30 days!!!

It is so annoying to know that no-one can do anything except order parts.

My inlaws bought a Samsung tv and that went faulty just after 30 days just before ours did and they got a replacement!!

:suicide:

A very unhappy Lisa

24. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Lisa, this doesn't seem right. Your contract is actually with the retailer during the guarantee period and it should be they who are doing the leg work with Philips. Who did you buy it from? I think you need to start putting pressure on them and have a word with the Consumer Advice centre to see where you stand with regard to your statutory rights.

25. lisajc999

lisajc999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips said that the contract is with the retailer during the guarantee but I have been told by the company I bought it from that the guarantee lies with Philips and any replacements or refunds should be made by them. Philips told me to talk to the retailers and claim my refund/replacement from them. Breathe!!! I have spoken with the retailer and batted back to Philips. It is like a game of Ping Pong and I am the Ping Pong ball.

I bought the tv from Flat tv company, on line they are known as Cheap Telly. (It does not always pay to go for the best deal on a tv, as I now know!!)

They are not budging with providing a replacement and are blaming it on Philips. I speak to Philips and they say to talk to the company I bought it from. I speak to the company who are fixing the tv and they cannot speed things up for me as they say that Philips are not supplying the parts quick enough! I feel like zebedee on the Magic Roundabout! I do have someone from Philips and someone from the Flat tv company looking into it. There is still no resolution and no-one is taking complete ownership, ableit the individuals I am talking to are showing empathy towards me. It is not empathy I need, I need a working tv. Sorry but as you can imagine I am getting a slightly more than peeved right now!!

I will seek advice from the Consumer Advice centre and see if there is anything they can assist with.

However, when buying from the internet you do not always read the small print on warranties etc.... as it is not always readily available to read before you purchase a product.

Thank you for taking interest, it is much appreciated am I wrong to think that I should be given a replacement tv or a refund given the time it is taking to be repaired especially when I do not know if the tv will be fixed after the next part has been replaced????

And the Saga continues.....

I honestly believe that the engineers do not know what is the problem nor how to fix it and are just ordering a part replacing it and if that does not work ordering a different part to see if that will sort the problem.

I am a techie myself but from a telecoms world and the talk does not differ too much especially within voip!! They won't tell me what has been replaced and what they intend to replace.

Anyway, sorry to rattle on to you but it does make me feel better!!

I have guests tomorrow who will be coming over and squinting at our 13" tv!! :rolleyes:

Anyway I will keep you updated.

26. Mackem

Mackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Flat TV are passing the buck, it should be down to them to resolve the issue. I'd also say that 3 months without your TV and with no sign of a resolution is totally unacceptable. As an example, I bought a Hitachi LCD from Richer Sounds last year. I reported a fault, it went to the repairers and after 4 weeks Richer Sounds contacted me to offer a refund as they didn't believe the fault (which was minor) could be resolved.

Definitely contact Consumer Advice, find out your rights and who should be taking responsibility for what. Then start cranking up the pressure on Flat TV and/or Philips.

27. dmeredith

dmeredith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Send both Philips and Flat TV a letter saying you will pursue a claim in small claims court - this will be for both rectification of the fault under the 12 months manufacturers warranty and damages for difficulties incurred from both the retailer and manufacturer for failing to comply with their legal obligations.
    It costs 40 pounds to take a claim to small claims, they don't stand a chance of winning and by the time they have absorbed the cost of the repair, the court costs (including yours) and any damages that might be awarded it is likely to prove a costly excercise for them. This is likely to push them to sort it out!
    This info comes from my wife who has a law degree...

28. lisajc999

lisajc999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your replies. I will contact Consumer advice and write letters and let you know my progress.

Thank you both again for your advice it is more than helpful.

Lisa

29. stef_nl

stef_nl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am looking for information or comments for the 42pf9731d/10. I can not find much about it on this site. Any help is welcome.

30. gunark

gunark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Am I missing something or is the PF9631 not an ALiS plasma display? (In an LCD forum I mean).