Denon AVR-1610 or Sony STR-DN1000

• DENON!

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • SONY!

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

danonone

Standard Member
Hi I am about to have a nervous breakdown deciding between these 2.

What I am looking for is the following:

min 2 HDMI in for Sky HD and PS3

min 1 component for Wii in

ability for i-pod dock (as add on or standard)

ability to use sky and TV without having to switch on AVR (i.e leave it in standby not fully on with lots of modes to worry about) for general day time tv (for the mrs's sake it complicates things) think denon does this but sony doesnt, please clarify?

upscaling not an issue as Tosh Tv does it fine

audio over hdmi a must

upconversion not a massive issue as still havent bought the wii again, so might as well wait till HD Wii arrives.

I am a brand junkie and my late father always banged into my head that denon are the nuts, so I really want a denon but dont want to pay 400 quid for the 1910, if someone can find me a 1910 for 300 I will snap their hands off, hence why looking at the 1610, which looks pretty good IMO.

Anyway, you are all the experts, I have been reading this forum for about a week for 3-4 hours a night and I still can't make up my mind.

Help please, help before I do something stupid like buying both :facepalm:

Thanks in anticipation,

Dan

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The choice will be influenced to a large extent by what speakers you plan to use with the amp. Do you have some in mind, or a total budget for amp and speakers if you still have to get some speakers.

danonone

Standard Member
no budget for speakers yet, have 4 toshiba sats for now, AVR needs to come first, then the speakers!

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Denon for me mate! Love the warm sound it produces and for the money you get a blimmin good amp! But as dicklodge says, speaker choice is a factor to consider as the denon is a warm sounding amp and would pair well with bright/neutral sounding speakers!

Cheers

Saf

danonone

Standard Member
OK, lets throw something new into the mix, just found somewhere that will do a 1910 for 349 quid, I reckon thats a bargain, have asked them to see if they can knock a bit more off as its a 2 hours drive to pick it up as nowhere will post a denon!

With regards to the speakers I have now, they are the sats that came with my TV, quite trebly, but I have a MJ Acoustics pro50 sub which is rediculously good :)

danonone

Standard Member
By the way, wjen you describe a warm sound you dont mean like a car stereo with the tone knob set all the way to the bass do you, i like a bit of treble and to be honest have my car stereo set to max bass and treble, does this make me a bright sound lover?

as much as i want this denon i dont want a muffly sound.

Also can someone please clarify that you can run the Sky thru the Sony in standby direct to the TV using the Tv speakers? Thats a real major point for me coz of the other technophobe that lives here ;)

Really appreciate your help so far :thumbsup:

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Hi mate,

For £349 the 1910 is an absolute steal!! Grab it....grab it now!!

But just to highlight some of the sound characteristics of the denon. Yes it is a warm sounding amp and by that i mean a sound that has greater emphasis on the mid/low frequencies and bass. This can produce a sound that is rich, full, or 'laid back'. Paired with the wrong speakers on wrong settings yes it can sound muddy. By the same token, a bright amp (sony/onkyo) can sound shrill/harsh/tinny if paired with wrong speakers or set incorrectly. The denon will also be better with music than either onkyo or sony. You say your TV sats are trebly, these would pair well with the denon.

If you are really after a bright sound and like pairing bright with bright then maybe the denon isnt for you. Some people do like a very bright sound but in my experience and from what i've heard of various combinations it is always best to pair opposites. I find the sound is more balanced that way, if like for like is paired then for me the sound becomes either too harsh or too muddy.

Also, what make of speaker will you be running to the amp? If its your tv sats then it might be worth checking the impedance on them if they are 6/8 ohms you'll be ok, if its below 4 you might not do your amp any favours as it will struggle power speakers less than 4 ohms.

Cheers

Saf

Edit: And yes, the sony will passthrough video in standby and you an use your tv speakers as well

Last edited:

danonone

Standard Member
hmm well your final edit on the last post makes me umm and arr even more, I read somewhere else on here that it doesn't do that hence me starting to look further for alternatives!

I wonder if Richer sounds will do the 1910 for 350 too, this other place is in Northampton which is a trek and a half for me and will probably cost me 40 quid in fuel for the round trip...

Shelling out 400 quid for a 1910 in RS feels harsher than paying 349 and filling my car up :p

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Hi mate,

apologies for my edit, please ignore that. No you are right, the sony wont passthrough video in standby. Apparently no sony models offer that function :eek:

Go for the Denon!!

Cheers

Saf

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom