• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Which to buy 4K or 3D

kah22

im buying a new television come the post Christmas sales, but I'm not quite sure what to buy.

The TV will be 40-43 inch. Probably a Samsung and will be in the sub £600 bracket. It will be used to watch Freeview, Netflix and the occasional DVD. I probably will retire my old DVD player and buy a new blu ray player in the near future, but it is by no means top of my list. I'm not a gamer and won't be having Sky or Freesat.

So I'm wondering, given the above which type of TV would be more appropriate 4K or 3D. My personal thinking would be 4K as I'll not be rushing out to buy 3D films (are there that many on sale anyway?) Viewing distance would be in the region of 12 feet

What would be your thinking and why?

inzaman

I went through this exact same conundrum literally last week, in fact my new TV get's delivered tomorrow. My reason for choosing what i did might be different to yours but for me this is how i decided.

My thought process was that my PJ is 'only' 1080 and that is great for me at my current viewing distance so on a 40 inch TV 4K must be overkill, surely? I read a few reviews and these piqued my curiosity.
I then did something i should have done in the first place, i actually went to a shop and looked at the 4K TVs showing 4K content. Now for larger sizes, and for my next PJ, i get 4K it looks great but for me on a smaller TV it just doesnt look real. An example would be that if the 4k TV was showing a 4K image of itself it would actually look better than you looking at the TV if that makes sense. It was better than actually looking out of the window, which to me is not realistic?

Added to this watching a 4k 40 inch i would probably and eventually get used to, what for me is an unnatural image, and then when i watch my PJ it would seem too soft, even when i eventually go 4K on the PJ.
As i say for me for larger screens 4K for definite but for 40 inch for me the decision was made - 4K no chance so i went for a 1080 3D then at least i have the best of both worlds and i can dip my toe into 3D and see how i get on with it. Also the kids will love watching movies, and playing games in 3D. HTH

Old Bones

I went through this exact same conundrum literally last week, in fact my new TV get's delivered tomorrow.
Could I ask what set you decided on in the end? I'm guessing the Samsung 6400, but I could be wrong!

Personally, I think 4K is great, if your watching and using the right thing. If someone isn't streaming, doesn't have an HD source for most things, etc, then its probably not for them. 4K footage can look great, even on a 40in, but its the usage which is important. And I'd much rather someone bought a decent mid range Full HD set with good refresh, than buy a 4K set relatively cheaply, which then struggles. Having the latest thing is not the same as having the right thing.

The TV will be 40-43 inch. Probably a Samsung and will be in the sub £600 bracket. It will be used to watch Freeview, Netflix and the occasional DVD. I probably will retire my old DVD player and buy a new blu ray player in the near future, but it is by no means top of my list. I'm not a gamer and won't be having Sky or Freesat.

So I'm wondering, given the above which type of TV would be more appropriate 4K or 3D. My personal thinking would be 4K as I'll not be rushing out to buy 3D films (are there that many on sale anyway?) Viewing distance would be in the region of 12 feet

What would be your thinking and why?

Your 12 feet away, so I'm thinking 48-50 Full HD (if your2.5- 3 times the size of the screen, thats not a bad ratio, so 12 feet certainly means more than 40, even being very conservative). Freeview HD, Full HD and smart are all standard, and I'd like 4 HDMI's if I could (3 possibly).

If you want to go 4K, fine, but by the sounds of it, apart from Netflix, your mostly watching SD - thats going to struggle. On the other hand, Full HD would work fine, and a blu ray would upscale nicely your existing stuff (and players are really cheap now).

Go 3D. Not for the 3D, but because a TV with 3D normally has a better panel. Your paying for a panel with better refresh and better blacks - thats it. So a 3D will be a bit more pricey, but worth it for picture quality. The Samsung 48J6300 (curved) is currently around £539, while the Sony W8 50in is £599-649. Two classic mid range full HD sets, both 4 HDMI's, etc. If you dont want curved, but still want Samsung, you might still be able to find last years H6400 in a 48in, but its rare now.

Go have a look in stores, and look at the difference between the Sony W7 (2D) and W8(3D) - the way the picture moves will be better, which is largely why it costs more. The 3D is irrelevant.

kah22

Thanks for the response guys.

Since posting I've measured my usual viewing distance with my nephews laser measures and it is coming up at 3.04m and if I hop over to the Which website their TV screen size calculator would suggest something in the region of 40-46 inches. It surprised me when they said that with a 4K TV., '..........you really need to go 40-inch or larger to appreciate the jump in picture quality. However, bear in mind that because of the extra detail in the picture, you can sit a bit closer to the TV screen and still watch in comfort. For example, with a 40-inch 4K TV you can sit around 8.3 feet away from it. For a 50-inch, that goes up to 10.4 feet and for a 55-inch 11.4 feet. ' I thought the opposite would have been the case, just goes to show what I know :) In my room anything over 46 would be overkill

I do agree with Old Bones that having the latest thing is not necessarily having the right thing. I would also be interested in knowing what Inzaman bought and please what is PJ

Old bones you make an interesting point about 3D when you refer to the panel, I'm assuming you are talking about the inner workings, yes?

I have had a look at the Samsung UE40H6400 been sold by John Lewis at £357.99. I should say I'm restricting myself to buying from JL because I have £100 credit with them. Unfortunately there is no JL store close to where I live

Old Bones

you make an interesting point about 3D when you refer to the panel, I'm assuming you are talking about the inner workings, yes?

I have had a look at the Samsung UE40H6400

3D is normally thrown in on a higher spec TV, as an extra. The Samsung 6400 is an excellent choice (and you can order from JL online or via the phone - its free delivery anyway), and when you look at it, compared with its 2D cousin (the 5500), you can clearly see that it moves better and more fluidly. Thats because its has a better panel/processing, and its refresh rate was rated by Samsung last year as 400hz, whereas the 5500 was 100hz. I try to avoid hard numbers (because its a nightmare), but if your buying a 3D set, its a better niche than 2D.

I'm still not convinced that you can't see the difference in 4K on a 40in, since it still has a higher res screen, no matter what its size (remember all those people who said you couldn't see the difference between SD and HD on a 32in?), but I'm much more interested in getting the size right, and the type of screen thats right for the customer.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom