1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Time Bandits?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rambo John J, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    Seeing as I've now officially worn out my widescreen VHS tape of it, which version of Time Bandits should I go for?

Do I get the Criterion edition, although from retailer listings I don't think the extras are deserving of the pricetag.

Do I go for the deleted but still available Anchor Bay version which I can still pick up dirt cheap?

Or do I wait and see what happens with the UK R2 version out later this year?

I know a lot of folks will just shout "BUY THE CRITERION DISC", but a lot of their discs don't justify the pricetag, and from what I can see they only have the audio commentary as an extra on this disc (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong and give me a reason to justify buying it), which kinda makes me hesitate spending in the region of $30-40 on it. If the picture's good and the extras are actually more than they say then I'll give it a go, otherwise I'm tempted to hold out and see what the UK disc brings.....don't laugh at the back. ;)

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wicky1

wicky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the criterion version, beacause it doesn't have many extras you can pick it for a reasonably price. It is 16:9 enhanced, which I'm sure the Anchor Bay version isn't.

3. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the Criterion version purely on the grounds of the anamorphic print. I checked out the specs of the anchor bay version and it has little in the way of tangible extras.

As for a UK version, well last time this was on VHS who distributed it? CBS-FOX? Unless this title gets picked up by a good independant distributor, I doubt it will get the treatment it deserves.

Shame, as it's a solid film. (I liked fidget the best)

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    Nah mate, Vermin. Wally (Jack Purvis??) lives in town here in Northampton though and he'll tell you some real stories about his movie career if you buy him a few beers (he's travelling down that well worn path to alcohlism by the looks of him). He's got some belters about George Lucas though :D

Paramount released the last vhs in the UK, so I expect you're right about extras and the like, it still kinda gnaws at my gut shelling out as much for the Criterion disc as retailers want though. Is there anywhere at all that does it for a reasonable price? Play sorted me with The Last Temptation Of Christ for £17.99, which for a Criterion disc is a pretty good price, I'd like something around that kind of region if there's one out there. If not then I guess I'll have no choice :(