Which Taiyo Yuden discs

phoenix47

Standard Member
Reaction score
I know Taiyo Yuden discs are the best but have a few questions

1 Is it best to use 8x or 16x?
2 I don't have a printer for discs but wondered whether the printable discs are more protected from damage and are worth the extra money
3 I'm very confused with all the different TY discs available at differing prices. I have looked at SVP, DVDshop online,Cd media .co.uk and UKdvdr.
DVDshop online do 100 discs tyg03 made in japan for £25.99 cheaper than SVP whose discs seem to be over £30.
Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R - Caketub 100 : DVD Shop Online Ltd Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R - Caketub 100
Would these be OK. I have things I want to archive and don't want to make a mistake.
Thanks for any help

The latest Maplin rag that i got through the door has the Verbatim cake of 100 dvd-r for 18 quid.

I believe these use Taiyo Yuden dye.(you'll have to confirm this).

Buy mine from Play.com,no probs after several hundred used.Very reliable blanks.

I have 16x disks, and my burner supports up to that write speed - but in practice it never gets anywhere near that. I normally go for a slower speed like 8x, which I know it can reach fairly quickly providing a constant, high quality burn.

Burning at faster speeds (12x-16x), I've also noticed that the write rate is more easily affected when doing other stuff on the PC. In extreme cases I've noticed a variation in the colour of the newly burned data layer on the disk suggesting in a variation in burn quality. Maybe this isn't the case though.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if you aren't in a mad rush to get the data onto disk - I'd always step the burn speed back a bit to ensure you don't end up with any write errors.

Approx two years ago I purchased around 2000 of the Panasonic 1~16x DVD-R discs which work in all my Panasonic recorders and to date I have probably used over 1600 of these discs without a single failure. These discs are in tubs of 100 and bear the Panasonic identifier LM-RS120NE1H. They have the Taiyo Yuden TYG03 dye and the recordable layer dye is purple. The discs are non-printable and the top of the disc is gold coloured with the Panasonic logo.

In the past few months these discs seem to be unobtainable but I did a google check which brought forth:-

Panaonic LM-RS120NE1H - Google Search

My discs were all "Made in Japan" and came mainly from the Panasonic e-shop, SVP and APRMedia. Gavtech stated that some of the Panasonic discs he purchased in the Panasonic Purple & Yellow packaging were actually made in India and had a different dye to TYG03.

The Packaging mine are in are similar to the one's shown on the Amazon website which is different to the ones now shown on APRMedia :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...eld-keywords=Panasonic+LM-RS120NE1H&x=12&y=16

Buy panasonic dvd-r 16x speed (lm-rs120ne1h) pod of 100 branded - dvd-r - panasonic dvd-r 16x speed branded cap - UK buy online from aprmedia.co.uk media shop - APR Media Ltd

Also - having checked out a few sites I cannot see any of them listing the dye as TYG03.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Further to Royolds comments about the Indian discs I obtained... I was disappointed that they were not what I was after [ TYG03 ] .. However, I am pleased to report that the discs I was given instead have lived up to the Panasonic disc brand reliability and have proved 100% reliable so far... with no degradation of burned discs that I have so far tested.

That said - I don't seem to see these discs around these days either.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi Gavin / Royold

I purchased a 50 pod of these discs (LM-RS120NE50) from APR Media recently, and no problems so far with burning. Using Nero Infotool gives a Manufacturer ID of TTH02 if that is of any help.

Hi Gavin / Royold

I purchased a 50 pod of these discs (LM-RS120NE50) from APR Media recently, and no problems so far with burning. Using Nero Infotool gives a Manufacturer ID of TTH02 if that is of any help.

Hi Adrian

TTH02 are the same dye as the Indian type I have [ ... made by TDK I believe]

I agree TY discs are the only in my experience totally reliable blank media. As I also say that bitset DVD+R is the best universal recordable format DVD media.

A clue when buying drums of TY Verbatim branded media is that the drum has a unique physical step about 35mm above the base.

Also agreed look for "Made in Japan"

1 Is it best to use 8x or 16x?
2 I don't have a printer for discs but wondered whether the printable discs are more protected from damage and are worth the extra money
3 I'm very confused with all the different TY discs available at differing prices. I have looked at SVP, DVDshop online,Cd media .co.uk and UKdvdr.
DVDshop online do 100 discs tyg03 made in japan for £25.99 cheaper than SVP whose discs seem to be over £30.
Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R - Caketub 100 : DVD Shop Online Ltd Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R - Caketub 100
Would these be OK. I have things I want to archive and don't want to make a mistake.

1. This really depends on your machine. A few years ago when X16 was new there was questions over reliability of the dye including TYG03 and its +R equivalent T03, however, with steady progress and the introduction of new firmwares both produce comparable results, although this can still vary from machine to machine. Tests have been made with X8 media which can actually be burnt at X12 and produce less errors than a X16 equivalent. If you want to be really picky you could always buy a batch of both, complete some test burns and then compare PIE/PIF and jitter (basically disc errors). On a PC nero CD-DVD speed will do this but you need a burner with scanning capabilities. Another thing to remember is that the burn quality will vary from batch to batch. If you post your machine type perhaps someone with specific experience could help more.

2. No difference at all between printable and non printable. However if you want to add a printered label later to a disc tests have shown this will effect the longevity of the recording.

3. Taiyo Yuden is a manufacturer of dye and discs. Your can therefore buy TYs own discs and dye which is what you are looking at or another manufacturer who uses TY's dye. I personally always use verbatim with TY or MCC (mitsubishi chemicals) simply because they suit all my burners. With regard to made in Japans (MIJ), and again I can only comment on verbatims, but Taiwan (MIT) and India (MII) discs can be found. From running tests the quality tends to vary without really seeing a clear winner.

On a final note, I have found that for archiving purposes standalone DVD recorders are not as good as PC burners (when comparing burn quality). Simply checking if a disc will play is not an ideal test as it may contain errors or high jitter which can be 'corrected' during playback. The concern here is that over time these tend to increase and will eventually reach the point where it causes the disc to error. To put this in perspective it is realistic to expect a disc that will play on day one, if stored correctly, to also play for the next few years. However one with higher errors will have a much shorter lifespan than one with a better burn quality.

If you want to make sure your recordings are safe my suggestions would be:-

1. Always use a reputable disc. TYs are a very good place to start but at the end of the day you also need a disc that suits your machine. Unless someone has experience with your specific machine it may take a bit of testing before you are happy.

2. Never keep only one copy of your archived material. Consider a second burn as a minimum or, if you have a PC with the correct facilities, rip the disc, consider mass storage via possibly a HDD or burn a second disc on your PC and test your burn.

Last edited:
The latest Maplin rag that i got through the door has the Verbatim cake of 100 dvd-r for 18 quid.

I believe these use Taiyo Yuden dye.(you'll have to confirm this).

Buy mine from Play.com,no probs after several hundred used.Very reliable blanks.

The 100 dvd-r packs that are being sold at Maplin have got the MCC 03RG20 dye some are made in India and some are made in Tiawan, They have got Taiyo Yuden dye in the 50 packs though They say made in Japan on ths side and have usually got a light grey coloured cake base.

I agree,the spindles that are made in Japan are the ones to go for.

Makro were selling these and they flew off the shelves,the ones that were left were made in India.

That says a whole lot about quality control.

I agree TY discs are the only in my experience totally reliable blank media. As I also say that bitset DVD+R is the best universal recordable format DVD media.

A clue when buying drums of TY Verbatim branded media is that the drum has a unique physical step about 35mm above the base.

Also agreed look for "Made in Japan"

These pods of 100 Verbatim (both minus and plus types) are of the stepped pod type but according to Maplin the dye used is Advanced Azo+ so not Taiyo Yuden. I did use Verbatim 2x and 4x DVD-R discs on my Panasonic DMR-E85H machine about six years ago and these discs also used the Azo dye. They worked fine but are now unobtainable. This E85H will also work quite happily with the Panasonic 1~16x DVD-R using the Taiyo Yuden TYG03 dye but it will not accept some Ritek and Datasafe 8x discs.

DVD-R/DVD+R 100 Packs > Maplin

I don't see a link that is definitely TY posted so far. Can somebody post a definite link to them that is quite cheap please.

As far as I am concerned these are the business. Taiyo Yuden accept no substitutes. :thumbsup:

A good selection of slimline 'CD' cases on SVP too, my preferred storage mechanism.

Taiyo Yuden 8x Full-Face Printable DVD-R (Pack of 100) - SVP

I too prefer burning at a safer 8x, after all a DVD takes just 8 mins and you can use your PC normally while the burn is taking place without worrying that loading a memory intensive app. will screw the burn up.

HTH.

These pods of 100 Verbatim (both minus and plus types) are of the stepped pod type but according to Maplin the dye used is Advanced Azo+ so not Taiyo Yuden.

DVDIdentifier says the ones I got recently in Staples are TYG03! (pods of 50 not 100 though).

Last edited:
DVDIdentifier says the ones I got recently in Staples are TYG03! (pods of 50 not 100 though).

That seems to be the trouble with Verbatim these days. The packaging stays the same but the products use the dye from three different suppliers. It's frustrating if you don't get the type you expected. Verbatim aren't the only disc manufacturers doing this either. A reasonable assumption would be that if the product is "Made in Japan" then its more likely that the dye on the discs will be Taiyo Yuden.

Taiyo Yuden also seem to be manufacturing for Datasafe and Mediastar but have you noticed that the discs sold under the "Taiyo Yuden" trademark seem to be the most expensive of all?

That seems to be the trouble with Verbatim these days. The packaging stays the same but the products use the dye from three different suppliers. It's frustrating if you don't get the type you expected. Verbatim aren't the only disc manufacturers doing this either. A reasonable assumption would be that if the product is "Made in Japan" then its more likely that the dye on the discs will be Taiyo Yuden.

I have found that with Verbatim the two factors of stepped lid of pod and purple and blue packaging are always "Made in Japan" and are always TYG03. Saves you having to look for country of origin on each pod.

I have found that with Verbatim the two factors of stepped lid of pod and purple and blue packaging are always "Made in Japan" and are always TYG03. Saves you having to look for country of origin on each pod.

The 20 pods of 100 Panasonics I purchased are all in this stepped packaging you mention above and they all are made in Japan and have the TYG03 dye
so I would agree with you on this one.

The Panasonic 100 disc pods as currently shown on Amazon, despite having the same Yellow and purple packaging, and indeed the same identifier as I gave earlier, have a rounded plastic cover, not tapered, which makes me wonder if they are the MiJ, TYG03 type. Amazon have told me they can't give the dye, or country of manufacture. Probably because it's a re-seller.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom