Which tablet

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by santamed, Feb 15, 2014.

1. santamed

santamed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only ever used a netbook so know nothing about tablets. I travel abroad a lot and I am looking for a reasonably fast browser and capability to connect to TV for the likes of netflix and catch up TV. Would also take the odd pic and use skype on regularly basis.
    thanks for any assistance

2. jdevil

jdevil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  3. santamed

santamed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Excuse my ignorance but why is the ipad advertised as the wi fi model. Is there an option gives additional benefits?

4. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Dont believe jalaldevil. Particularly if looking at 7"-8" get an Android Tablet most have displays that are better than basic so called Retina standard and anyway are from same display supplier (LG). You can use several app stores rather than being forced to use Apple only. My grandchildren (3-13) have no problem with Android devices/apps. Camera is as good as on several Tablets. Choice of manufacturer/ You will also save a lot of money both in purchase and cost of apps.

5. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    There are 3G/4G versions available at extra cost (£500+) - acts like a very large smart phone. Which sounds as if that is what you might need. That version can only communicate via WiFi.

For the record - although a very good Tablet - the iPad Air being "the best Tablet on the market. It's unbeatable in all it's aspect; Browser speed, OS (fluidity/smooth - vastly easy to learn, even for kids), Retina display, Camera, Appstore (better updates/support from apps)", is entirely @jalaldevil's opinion and is not objective. Do some research on Android and Windows Tablets as well. Many have better multimedia capabilities, microSD support and are not hampered by some of the functional restrictions embedded in iOS. If @jalaldevil had used some other OS based devices he would know this.

Work out what your needs are i.e. OS preference, screen size preference, memory size, 3G or WiFi, budget, robustness, etc... If you invest some time in research just now you are more likely to pick a Tablet that will fit your needs best.

If you have any specific questions I and - I'm sure - many others on this forum will be happy to help.

6. santamed

santamed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Looking around the net at best buys there seems to be a big difference of opinion. But I doubt all the reviews are independant. I am guessing I need a fast processor, 32gb memory (for photos, books, films etc). 10 inch screen looks attractive and am looking at the Nexus 2013 as a possibility. Probably go to PC WORLD in next couple of days and try a few out. In meantime grateful for your input.

7. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    You do realise the Nexus 2013 is a 7" tablet. Given you said a 10" Tablet looks attractive wouldn't this be to small?

Please do not buy from PC World unless the price is really good.

8. sirteuk

sirteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    He has the right idea, as PC world/Currys has both Android and Apple tablets in many forms.
    This is the place for hands on experience and in some cases the best price also.
    Many of the Android tablets also have micro SD slots so tablet memory is not a major problem where you can easily add 32GB or in some cases 64GB.
    As for purchase check Tesco and Asda direct as both companies offer an excellent returns policy, no questions asked, unlike PC world as follows

"If for whatever reason you change your mind and would like to return your order after delivery, we’re happy to refund or exchange your purchase as long as it’s unopened and in its original packaging. This option is available for 21 days after delivery."

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  9. santamed

santamed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been to PC world which I found educating and great to compare reviews with hands on. As a result I found the Nexus 10 very flimsy and not particularly well made and as I travel a fair bit I wanted some thing a bit more robust. So now it is a choice between the Sony (great looker) and the IPad Air??? my problem now is memory 16 or 32gb

10. moonbeam120

moonbeam120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Price and microSD support clinched it for me. This gives flexibility in memory meaning I have the option of getting more microSD cards and change them out if needed. WiFi 16 GB Xperia Z (£350) + 64GB microSD card + case + screen protectors + Bluetooth earphones (mini amp type allowing you to use your preferred brand of earbuds or headphones) + docking station was approximately £475 in total.

A 64GB WiFi ipad Air is around £500 without any accessories. Add roughly another £80 for 3G/4G support.

11. sirteuk

sirteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    PC World do not sell the Nexus 10, though they do sell the Galaxy 10.
    The Nexus 10 is still a superb tablet, which can be had for £289(32gb) online and with a £2.00 OTG cable you can connect your memory stick.

12. santamed

santamed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couple of reviews I have read claim that the Nexus 10 has connectivity problems and random reboots. It is the connectivity that would worry me as some of the wifi connections on my travels are less than great.

13. sirteuk

sirteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My Nexus 10 has never had any connection problems in the 11 months of ownership.
    During that time it did have the occasional reboot,but none since android 4.4

14. Fuiseog

Fuiseog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you scroll through this site putting tablet in the search box you'll get a good idea of what's on offer.

Hot UK Deals - Search Result

OH has just got a Samsung Tab 3 8" and it works very well for entertainment which is what she wanted but using it has made me decide to get a Windows tablet. I want to have MS Office on board so I'm not carrying a laptop and tablet on my travels.

15. sirteuk

sirteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  16. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,362
    Hold on to your horses there buddy :)

Sony are about to launch the new Xperia Z, the Xperia Z2 Tablet:

Hands-on: Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet review - Pocket-lint

Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet hands-on: continuing to...

On sale in March, good choice between the Z2 and the iPad Air, I would way up the pros and cons of each really, also compare the features. Both tablets will also connect to your smartphone using bluetooth.
    But if you go Apple get the bigger storage 32gb as you cannot upgrade it, the Sony will depend on you because it can be upgraded.

17. amberlamps

amberlamps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  18. sosen13

sosen13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    if money is important it is hard to get better value than lg g pad 8.3 at the moment. can be as low as 179 on amazon. really nice little tab. if i only dont have samsung note 8.0 which is great .. :p

19. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,035
    You've probably noticed that this subject inspires emotion in some. I've been researching this recently and come to the conclusion that nothing is perfect. Android offers the most flexibility but for some reason the vendors always want their own version of it on there which slows it down. Apple stuff is great but you need to use itunes which is restrictive, and the storage is a silly price. FWIW here's what I have found:

Nexus 7 £199 (most places)

Good price, fast and great screen. Possibly too small. Big bezels.

Lg 8.3 £199 (most places)

Good price, fast and great screen - a good size but runs old version of android and lg skin of android slows it down. Small bezels.

Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 £334 (expansys)

Great screen - probably the best of any tablet. Plasticky build quality, Samsung android skin slows it down a bit but more powerful than the two above. Battery not as good as apple. Expensive compared to the above. Small bezels.

Ipad mini retina £319 (apple) £286 (amazon)

Good build, great screen but colours not as good as ipad air or samsung. Good size but 4:3 aspect ratio maybe not best for movies. Good battery. Expensive, even more expensive if more than 16gb storage required. Small bezels.

Ipad Air £399 (apple) £350 (amazon)

Good build, great screen but not as high pixel density as samsung and ipad mini. The size you want at 10" but again the 4:3 aspect ratio. Price not too bad for size of screen and battery life but expensive if you want more than 16gb. Small bezels..

Microsoft Surface 2 £359

Good build, screen not as good as apple or samsung. Windows RT doesn't have same app selection but does come with office. Good battery, very fast. Big bezels.

Amazon HDX 8.9 £369 (John Lewis)

Great screen, possibly one of the best. Amazon own os. Again not the best for apps but can be sideloaded with other android apps if you know what you are doing. Fast, good battery. Don't know about TV connectivity or skype but assume there are ways of doing both. Storage not as expensive as apple but no sd card support. Big bezels.

Sony Z1 £349 (most places)

Screen not as good as apple or samsung, roughly equal to Microsoft. Fast and sony android skin is good but not as powerful as competitors at same price - this may change with release of Z2 next month. Reasonable battery, waterproof. Big bezels.

There are more but these seem to be the most popular ones at the moment. So you pays your money and takes your choice. I'm looking to update an ipad 2 and can't decide, might wait for the rumoured nexus 8 in july to turn up.

Most of these are on display in John Lewis so that is probably the best place to look at them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014