• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which tablet for watching movies ?

Dyslexic

Standard Member
If it's mainly for watching movies I'd recommend a tablet with 16:9 aspect ratio. That rules out Apple's offering.

Not sure if the App Store has got better on Windows yet but I'd imagine they have Netflix. Surface 2 would be a good choice.

Philly112

Distinguished Member
How much do you want to spend? What screen size? - 7,8,10 inch?

You need to be a bit more specific. Any decent tablet will be able to do what you want.

Phil

aymank

Prominent Member
I guess 10 inch would be best for movies but don't mind smaller as I've heard ratios could make actual screen on a bigger tablet not much better

£3/400 would be top end but leaning towards surface as a complete laptop replacement .

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
I've got a tab pro 8.4 which is really good for movies and netflix

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
There are a couple of 10" windows tablets that are using full windows 8.1 (dell venue pro and HP Omni come to mind). They might be a decent option as well.

HeavenlyWarrior

Prominent Member
If you're just watching movies and playing the odd game, an Android 16:9 tablet with a high resolution would be the most suitable. The Nexus 10, Galaxy Tab and any Archos tablets spring to mind. Make sure it handles a wide variety of video codecs otherwise the purchase would be counterproductive for your uses. Apple tablets do not have the best viewing ratio and Windows tablets are geared towards productivity as well as viewing consumption. Plus both are expensive in comparison for what you will be using them for

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
If you're just watching movies and playing the odd game, an Android 16:9 tablet with a high resolution would be the most suitable. The Nexus 10, Galaxy Tab and any Archos tablets spring to mind. Make sure it handles a wide variety of video codecs otherwise the purchase would be counterproductive for your uses. Apple tablets do not have the best viewing ratio and Windows tablets are geared towards productivity as well as viewing consumption. Plus both are expensive in comparison for what you will be using them for
I agree with this, also audio is much easier on android - especially if you are dealing with flac.

Guy West

Novice Member
All right buddy? Hope you're doing well.

I spend the better part of my life travelling on trains, and I'm also a bit of a series freak (Just watched Elementary, give it a go); anyway, my wife got me a 10" Windows tablet, which works like a boss.

She also got me a case that also works as a stand, which is something i'd never think of getting, but am glad she did as I don't have to kill by back or arms just to watch my shows.

This is the site she got mine from, and I even found you a nice little post all about tablet cases, stands, etc. which should help you get a good one for yourself: 5 Really Cool iMac Stands

Enjoy dude, take it easy.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom