1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which T.v.?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Suzie, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Suzie

Suzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'M LOOKING AT BUYING A NEW 28 INCH T.V. AND DUE TO THE SIZE OF THE SPACE IN MY RACKING ONLY A SONY WILL FIT. CAN ANYONE WITH MORE THAN MY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE GIVE ME ADVICE ON WHICH OF THE 2 SETS BELOW I SHOULD BUY AND WHAT'S THE BEST PRICE YOU'VE SEEN? ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

SONY KD 28 DL 10
    SONY KV 28 FX 68

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Their is quite a big difference in the two tv's you mention, in that one has 50hz processing while the other has 100hz processing.

Before you buy, you will need to decide which mode of processing suits you the best. If you are ever bothered by the flickering which can be present on a tv picture (some people are bothered by this, while others never notice) then it would be worthwhile checking out the 100hz model (KV28FX68), as the faster scan rate eliminates flickering.

The downside of 100hz is that it can result in soft, smeary pictures which many people find unbearable.

If you are never bothered by flickering, then the 50hz (KV28DL10)set will be the better (and cheaper) option.

3. Suzie

Suzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fatbob.

I can't say i've ever noticed a flickering picture on my current model, a Toshiba 50hz, but currently use a nokia 221t freeview box due to bad local reception. Do you ( or any one else ) have a view or review on either set ( including what is the best price available )?

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

If you're not bothered by flicker, then I would go for the DL10, although having said that I would still take a look at the FX68 incase you find the 100hz picture appeals to you.

You might want to consider the Sony KV28CL10. This tv is exactly the same as the DL10, except it doesn't have a digital tuner, but this wouldn't be a problem as you could use it with your Nokia Freeview box. It can also be found for around the £400 mark.

I've used a 50hz Sony Wega for the last five years and have never had a single problem with it. I've been considering getting a new Sony 50hz for the spare room, so I would have no hesitation in recommending the DL/CL10. That said, there is also a very good range of 50hz sets available from JVC.

In general, the performance of 50hz tv's offered by the major manufacturers in the £400 to £500 range is consistantly good.

5. Suzie

Suzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the extra info. it could be of use. I was going to go for a JVC but they're all too wide for the space I have available! I should also have mentioned that I'm getting a Pioneer home cinema system, will this have an affect on which T.V. I should go for? ( Pioneer NS-DV99).

6. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The all-in-one won't affect the TVs you're looking at. Definatly get the DL10 not the CL10, as although it doesn't have a digital tuner, it has only 2 scarts (one RGB), so you'll be left with just the solitary non-RGB scart remaining.

Rich

7. Suzie

Suzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice about the DL10. It'll save me time looking through all the blurb out there before buying. Cheers guys.

Suzie.