Which T.V to A.V amp cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tomfun69, Feb 8, 2009.

1. tomfun69

tomfun69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anybody tell me which cable i will be needing to connect my LCD tv (Technosonic 32") to a Denon 1905 amp please,if it is the red,white and yellow one what are they called and shoud i buy a decent one?

Also i tried it with a pair of phono leads (red,white) and got no sound from the audio out on the t.v,when i tried the same cable on the Sky+ box it worked fine.

2. IAN P

IAN P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,042
    More info needed,what sockets are on the tv?

The red and white are audio leads and the yellow is composite picture,which is the worst picture you can get.

Basically if you're only trying to listen to the tv through the amp then the red and white leads you used should work.

3. tomfun69

tomfun69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was really just wanting to get the amps on screen display on the t.v , it has hdmi outputs but the amp doesn`t and it has no optical outs either ,i have the wii conected via red,white,yellow and there is an audio out red/white free.

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If you want the amp's menu on the TV, it should just be a case of using any monitor output e.g. composite video to the TV. Unfortunately some TV's only have composite video inputs on the side or front (for camcorders) etc. so it might be an idea to get a SCART adaptor if this is the case.

If you're trying to get TV audio to the amp, then you'll need an audio cable, which is usually red/white analogue phono or optical (toslink). Make sure you're connecting an audio output (usually marked with "Audio Out" or a circle with an arrow pointing outwards) to the amp and not an input.

5. tomfun69

tomfun69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again,i have now got 2 optical digital cables to connect from the Sky+ box and DVD player to the AMP,is this the only cable i will need (i don`t need the optical and phono BOTH connected to each unit do i)?

Sorry for the basic questions btw

So if i am correct i think i will need this for the Audio to work:

T.V to Denon amp via Composit cable (red/green/blue).
    Sky+ to Denon amp via Optical digital cable.
    DVD Player to Denon amp via Optical digital cable.

6. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    This thread is confusing!

How exactly have you got everything connected tomfun and what are you trying to achieve? Including video as optical is audio only.

Are you running video thru th amp? If not why do you want to connect the amp to your tv?

If sky+ and dvd are your only sources, then I would connect like this:

Sky+ to TV via fully wired scart (make sure TV scart is RGB compatible and sky is set to output rgb over scart)
    Sky+ to amp via optical

DVD to tv via HDMI or component (red green and blue)
    DVD to Amp via optical.

This way your amp is dealing with the audio and the tv with the video. This also ensures your maximum video quality, as the 1905 does no processing of the video signal thru it and the best output from sky is RGB via scart which you can't easily input into the amp.

If you really want to see the OSD from the amp then you may also want to connect a composite (yellow) lead from the amp's composite monitor out to your TV, but you will have to change channel to watch it on the TV, it will not overlay on anything.

7. tomfun69

tomfun69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is getting a bit confusing isn`t it :confused: But i think you have just answered everything for me ,
    I have things set up like you say Sky+ to t.v via IXOS scart,DVD to TV via HDMI cable.
    I realy just wondered how to get the AMPs on screen display onto the T.V and do i just need 2 optical cables for the Sky+ and DVD for the audio?

There seems to be so many combinations of doing things,if i have the T.V connected via composite cable and the other things (DVD,SKY) with optical cables,how do i know the audio is coming through the optical or composite ?

8. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    If you are only using a composite cable (yellow, no red and white), then thats video only so can't be confused with the audio from optical. Also this composite cable (for the OSD) is connected to an output of the amp not an input.

If you want to listen to the audio from the internal tuner of your TV, then thats a further connection to the amp. Your TV will have either a stereo RCA output (red and white) or a optical output. One of these connections could be made to the amp, however as I'm guessing you watch everything thru sky,its probably not needed.

9. tomfun69

tomfun69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now it`s making more sense,i had been plugging my red/white phonos into the t.v input :oops:
    After closer inspection the only audio output is a single what looks like a 3.5mm headphone jack,i presume a need a 3.5 to phono lead to get the sound through the t.v

10. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    What tv is it? I have never come across one that has an audio output that is a 3.5mm jack socket. I have seen them as inputs on TV's for audio usually associated with a VGA or DVI input.

Do you actually watch your TV's internal tuner (Freeview?), if not then as i said I wouldn't worry too much about connecting it to your amp, as your Sky+ will already be connected to the amp via optical.

11. tomfun69

tomfun69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The t.v is a Technosonic 32"lcd (the rebadged Thompson one)
    It seems to work with that connector,i had the Wii connected via the original cable and found a 3.5 to phono lead and the sound is fine through the amp..