1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by MadaCup, Dec 16, 2003.

1. MadaCup

MadaCup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ive been looking for a system to go with the Toshiba 24z33 im planning to order in the next couple of days, but the sheer number of systems out there has left me a bit confused.

Im planning on putting this in my bedroom which is quite small, so i think a seperates system would be a bit ott, combined with the fact the accoustics arnt great in our house so you can hear the thumping of my digitheatre pc system as it is.

So far ive been looking at these units:

Sony DAVS550 - £279.99 (multiregion)

Panasonic SCHT500 - £249.95 multi region

Sony DAV SC5 £339.99

now im a bit of a newbie when it comes to this, more into car audio so any advice is appreciated. Im just after a good out of the box setup for around £300. I notice the panasonic dosnt support dolby pro logic 2, is this important?

Also what connections will i need to buy? Will they come in the box or is there better stuff i need? Decisions decisions! Would like to order before christmas ideally

2. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Prologic 2 is the new 5.1 version of the original prologic. There seem to be 2 main differences, the 2 discrete rear channels (prologic sends the same to both rears), and the fact that it will generate surround sound from a stereo signal, rather than needing something prologic encoded. It's a bit like those generally naff surround effects modes, but it does something a little more clever than just slapping a ton of reverb on everything.

I've just opted for the DVA-S550 incidentally, but it's still in the box (present for parents) so I can't really give you a proper opinion yet. Seems very good value, one of the guys at work reckons his is excellent, and the very limited play with one in Dixons didn't put me off.

3. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. I have the Davs 550. Sound output (quality) is mega. My room is small, 3 *3 meteres roughly. And it packs a punch. Output to my TV (video out) is V.good. I use a small screened TV (i mean small) and i use composite connections (the worst.) The other avaialbe outputs are s-video and component which offer better outputs, but with a small screen, picture is fine for me.

Secondly, looks great. The SC5 is basically the Davs 550 but with RGB scart output and slightly more volume output (oh and a face lift, but i prefer the S550.)

Up 2 u!