Which system would sound better?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by krishen, Sep 18, 2007.

1. krishen

krishen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    just wondering which system would sound better, either a tag mclaren av32r with 96khz dacs and a parasound halo A51 or the krell showcase 5 pre and power where the processor has 192 khz dac? how important would the dac be in the sound?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    The DACs can have quite a large influence over the sound quality,but thats not where it ends,as some very old 16bit DACs can be made to sound very good indeed,with proper attention to PSU details and other things.

It certainly isn't simply a case of the newer,higher bit-rate DAC being automatically better,as in the case of the TAG for instance,the 192kHz DACs are better,but are also allied with a lot of detail changes elsewhere(see the TAG section for that).

You must also bear in mind that each of the items mentioned has their own "sound",and you will find the Krell and TAG to be quite similar,but the Parasound may sound warmer and perhaps easier with certain speakers.

Overall,the Krell is a very versatile device,and excellent with it's own power amps,as it the Halo,but the TAG will require power amps also,and you would need to consider Bryston and Krell amongst others,but also consider that the DP TAG is a MUCH better creature than the SP/92kHz.

3. krishen

krishen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so your saying the system with the lower dac rate could potentialy sound better. would u say this is the case for the tag/parasound combo?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Frankly,you would need to try and get a listen to all of them,as they do have differing sounds,but yes,a properly implemented DAC with a lower sampling rate can sound better than a higher rate DAC with less attention to optimising everything.

5. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    I agree with what alexs2 says, but would stress the importants of an audition. Whether it’s 1 bit, 16 bit, 18 bit etc, over sampled, up sampled or whatever is the current trend, it’s how the dac sounds to YOU that is important. Don’t play “Top Trumps” with the figures, audition and buy whatever you think sounds best.

:)

6. krishen

krishen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok so in your opinion which out of the 2 sytems would u buy?

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671

Krishen....this is virtually an impossible question for anyone other than yourself to answer,as you would only be getting an opinion related to that person's individual likes/dislikes.

For me,I would be happy to use any of them,but thats personal choice,and others may well feel differently.

8. krishen

krishen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i understand what u are saying its only the fact that i cannot demo equipment that i ask.

9. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    That’s a shame. I’ve not heard either system so can’t offer any meaningful advice. Purely on name, I think I’d go for the Krell. Having said that, I’ve never bought the piece of kit I set out to buy. If I had, I’d have a Naim cdp, Primare amp and B&W speakers. I hope whatever you buy brings you years of enjoyment.

:)

10. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Don't know if this is necessarily going to help with your decision or add a great deal of wisdom...but I'll post it anyway ;)

I recently bought an Audiolab 8000AV and 8000X7. The processor is essentially a rebadged and slightly cost cut TMA AV30. I was really concerned that the 8000AV 'only' had 96KHz DACs, purely on the basis of listening to a mate's old Denon AV receiver which had 96KHz DACs and how it compared with the sound of the Cambridge Audio 540R I had at the time with 192KHz DACs.

To say that the 8000AV and 8000X7 sound a million times better than anything I've heard before, whatever the sampling rate of the DACs, would be an understatement. There is obviously much more to the sound than this!

Having never heard a TMA processor with 192KHz DACs I don't know what I'm missing out on (perhaps a good thing). The views on here seem to say that there is a big difference, whereas the magazine reviews I've read and the sales of the AV30 vs. AV32 suggest otherwise. I guess the point I'm making is as others have said, don't get too caught up in the specs, because there is a lot more to a processor than the specs and list of features it supports. This is another reason why I bought a 'simple' processor and amp rather than a bang-up-to-the-minute integrated receiver with upscaling and room compensation and whatever else in it as I'm personally a convert to the 'keep it simple and get as good a sound as you can in the first place' camp rather than trying to polish a turd if you'll pardon the expression.

HTH

11. krishen

krishen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks for the comments. so its not how high the dac rate is its how its used. from what i have heard the tag av32r is a gd processor so i should be fine. i mostly want a gd musical sound and am hoping to get this from the tag. which power amp would u recommend to pair it with?

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    A large variety of amps match this very well...TAg's own 100x5 is obviously a popular pairing if you can find one,but my own choice was the Krells i already own,and others have found KAV Krells to go well also.
    You could also look at Bryston,and if you wanted a cheaper,solid and tolerant power amp,Rotel make some very decent ones,new and used.

13. krishen

krishen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    how about the parasound amps look very well built and at a reasonable price the a51 in particular.

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Very well made,excellent sound,if slightly warmer overall than say Bryston or Krell,but highly recommended.

15. krishen

krishen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yh looking for 1 of these second hand wats the going rate for them?

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Not sure which you're referring to....

But if its the a51,your best bet is to search the forums here for recent sales,and also recent/current auction sales to get an idea of current prices.

17. krishen

krishen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    on a note of my speakers MA RS6AV, do you think they warrant the extra power and quality of the parasound A51 or would i be getting the same sound from a A52 or lexicon cx5 as these hav been going much cheaper than the a51 second hand

18. krishen

krishen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    any1?