Which SVS PC+?

t-force

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm shortly going to be moving house, which means that I will be able to get my TAG gear and M+K's out of storage and back into action. However, my KEF PSW1000 sub, which is now the only original component of my first home cinema is now looking really out of its depth, so I've decided to go for a new one.

Thanks to all the heaps of praise I've seen in this forum, I've decided that I will almost certainly go for an SVS PC+, but I'm just trying to work out which one to go for: the 16-46, or the 20-39. I know we've got a few 20-39 owners on the forum, but do we have any 16-46 users? Am I going to notice a massive difference in performance for $50, and is that extra 7 inches going to rack up the carriage costs?

All feedback greatly appreciated, as always.

So far as I am aware jag77 is the only 16-46 pc plus owner on the forum.

Don't forget that you can tune a 20-39 down to 16 Hz by plugging one of the ports with the supplied bung. Bob007 has even tuned his to 12 Hz by plugging two of the ports so I am not sure that the extra size and cost of the bigger Tower of Power is worth it.

No I haven't as it goes plenty deep enough for me as it is. I keep saying that I will try it out one day but bone idleness is one of my many vices.

Ian I can't believe you've not even tried it! Shame on you;)

Is fear of extremely low bass associated with age?;):D

I've had mine at 16 and now 12hz for most of it's life, moved it about a month ago to parallel of the sofa which gave me a lot less boom (was in the forward right corner of the room).

I've yet to de-bung since but it's on the plans. Just been too busy playing with the projector, should have my screen up tonight with luck.

Dear guys,

If you haven't get the PC+ yet, do give the PC Ultra a look. The reason so is that the PC 20-39+ with the 12Hz tuning, actually exceed the max linear excursion of the woofer cone itself, meaning a very likely uncontrolled bass sound and more distortion, so called the "Bottom Out" problem.

The PC Ultra woofer has higher linear excursion limit and hence a better control for the 12Hz tuning. Or for the kind of money, you can look at the PB2+, which actually is 2 PC+. 2 woofers, 900watts RMS!! 2 woofers with each pulling 450 watts, it's less prompt to bottom out that the PC+.

Regards,
Will.

If you bottom out a PB2+ you either have one massive room or no ear drums! When I get a house big enough to acommodate one that will be the one for me I think. It's huge and weighs 55kg!

Originally posted by Daneel
If you bottom out a PB2+ you either have one massive room or no ear drums! When I get a house big enough to acommodate one that will be the one for me I think. It's huge and weighs 55kg!

I've not come across anyone who has managed to bottom-out their PB2+ yet.

A HT installer in the US actually tried to bottom-out a PB2+ in his 1800 cubic feet showroom but was unable to. He managed to achieve a massive clean 128dB from the movie Hulk using an unconvertional 20hz tuning with all 3 ports opened (as opposed to 2 ports open) without the PB2+ showing any signs of strain and was afraid to go any further - most of the staff had to leave the the room because it was too loud lol.

Originally posted by t-force
I'm shortly going to be moving house, which means that I will be able to get my TAG gear and M+K's out of storage and back into action. However, my KEF PSW1000 sub, which is now the only original component of my first home cinema is now looking really out of its depth, so I've decided to go for a new one.

Thanks to all the heaps of praise I've seen in this forum, I've decided that I will almost certainly go for an SVS PC+, but I'm just trying to work out which one to go for: the 16-46, or the 20-39. I know we've got a few 20-39 owners on the forum, but do we have any 16-46 users? Am I going to notice a massive difference in performance for $50, and is that extra 7 inches going to rack up the carriage costs?

All feedback greatly appreciated, as always.

t-force,

The most important factors to consider when choosing between an SVS model is your room-size, and how loud you plan to drive the subwoofer.

Over 90% of the DVD's out at the moment contains strong frequencies above 25hz so most people will happily get by with either a 25-31PC-Plus or a 20-39PC-Plus.

The drivers in the larger units such as the 16-46PC+ are slightly more prone to bottom-out at very high volume levels (in larger rooms) which is why you often see people in the States getting dual 16-46PC+ when listening near reference level.

Remember that in the world of HT, there is no such thing as overkill.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom