1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which SVS? Box or Cylinder?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mroizouk, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wish to purchase some mighty sub-bass, and am undecided between the 16-46 PC+ or PC Ultra, or alternatively the PB2+ or Ultra. I'm after subterranean extension as well as massive power. I will mainly use the sub for music, but film performance is also important.
    I have perused the specs on the SVS site for guidance, but wondered if anyone who has heard any of these side-by-side could offer some advice.
    cheers

2. Bass-Oldie

Bass-Oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Mroizouk,

we would need to know your seating position in the room and the room size for an decent answer on that question....

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am not sure that any forum member (regular at any rate) has heard two different models from your list side by side. The closest would be Smurfin who has owned a PB-12/Plus and a PC Ultra but not at the same time or in the same room.

4. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can appreciate that; thought of changing the post but couldn't be bothered. More accurately then, I was wondering if any members had experienced more than one of these subs to compare. i actually read a fair bit of stuff from SVS's site which was helpful, but of course their selection of reviews will probably have some bias in favour of their products.
    I don't have a dedicated listening room, but it's about 3.5x4m.

5. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Not sure what your budget is, but as you're asking for 'subterranean extension and massive power', then it probably comes down to what you can afford, and also the aesthetics of whether you want a big box (they are big :eek: ) or a (also big :) ) cylinder in your room. SVS' products start at around £375 delivered and go up to £2k+ for the B4+. Your room isn't huge, and therefore doesn't need the most powerful subwoofer, but then given what you're asking for, I always believe that there is no such thing as too much headroom.....

6. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I meant also to say - the best judges of SVS subwoofers are the guys at SVS themselves! They are not just hugely knowledgeable (possibly the biggest understatement I have ever used), but also hugely helpful. When I bought mine I just e-mailed them my requirements, told them what I liked and what I didn't, and they recommended me accordingly. They don't try to oversell either, which to me is very nice :) .

I would recommend this route as well as listening to the advice of forum members. Just my 2p :) .

7. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers buddy! I put an email through to SVS and got a promt and helpful reply from Tom.
    I guess the abolute MOST expensive thing I could consider is the PB2 ultra..... it's a lot of money, but I'll find a way! The cylinders are certainly more wallet friendly, but I'm concerned as I've heard they have to be shipped standing up (true?) and that means I might not be able to transport them myself should I need, and I can't guarantee that I wouldn;t want 2! I'd prefer to get a single beast of a sub and not have to think about upgrades. (for a while...)
    So I'd say £500-£1000 is my budget, but anything I can save is a bonus.
    How much did your PB2+ cost for door to door?

8. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Mine cost about £950 IIRC, but bought when the exchange rate was slightly worse, about 10 months ago. It is still (IMHO) an absolute bargain, and the single best piece of kit I have ever bought. Price now I reckon is about £930 door to door. The way to work it out is $ price from website + $200 delivery (this may be wrong, you need to get SVS to give you this total)/exchange rate x 1.045 (duty) and then all x 1.175 (VAT, obviously). I reckon that puts the PB Ultra/2 at about £1,450 so a bit out of your budget range.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision!

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I notice from your opening post that you want the sub mainly for music. What sort of music do you mainly listen to as in general there isn't the same sort of bass extension in music that you can get in some action films.

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think I'm one of the few on the forum who has heard both plus and ultra drivers, as I managed to hear both of Smurfins SVS purchases.

The PB2+ certainly had more slam than the PC Ultra, and was enough to shake the foundations of a solid garage, it was an awesome beast!! Then, I heard the PC Ultra, ok, it is not as powerful as the PB2+ but it had a better sound, it was more tuneful and the ultra driver sounded a tad faster. Granted, the two listening rooms were different, but, most of the test scenes were the same. If you can stretch to it, the PB12 Ultra /2 would be an fantastic buy, but, the PC Ultra would probably suit your needs too.

EDIT: BTW, if you do get the PB12 Ultra /2, I'm coming for a listen :D :devil:

11. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I wonder where the rumour that the cylinders need to be carried upright came from? It does say UP^ on the box. MY guess is that this label is to stop heavy items being stacked on the side of the box if it was laid down flat. Standard precaution I assume.

It could even be argued from the safe distance of an armchair theorist that a driver is safer on its side. Rather than wobbling up and down on its floppy suspension in an upright position. Where gravity and bumps in the road could affect the cone.

I would not hesitate to lay my cylinder sub on the back seat of a very wide car. If I had one. :devil:

Tom V himself suggested that the cylinders work just as well lying on their side as they do standing tall. The foam corner packing would be ideal as stabilisors if needed. Or the cylinder will quite happily lie on a carpet.

Nimby

12. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That would need to be a wiiide car for the PC, especially the 46!
    I think I'll get saving/selling my posessions until I've enough for the Ultra 2!
    I listen to a massive range of music. Some of it has very deep and heavy bass- the drum and bass of Dillinja, as well as certain rap tracks eg. "My Life" by DMX. The last track on the Gladiator soundtrack, Now We Are Free, has a seriously deep bassline underpinning the orchestra. I also listen to classical- A recording of Jerusalem I have has some fundamental organ tones around 20hz.

These are just a few referance tracks with deep bass I use to asess subwoofer performance.

I will use the sub for films too, there will just be about a 60/40 split in favour of music.

13. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Then when you do I'll be along with Kazman for a listen! Good luck with it, and keep us posted!

14. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dmx and other rap doesn't have that deep tones. My little Wharfedale speakers are up to those, at least. Classical is a different thing.

15. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    certain tracks do, diamond, if you know where to look. But I appreciate what you're saying in that a lot of music of that type doesn't.

16. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

We are about to reintroduce the wood veneer options on the PB12-ultra/2 and will introduce the same on the PB12-plus/2 in about a month. We we also have the same wood veneering on new PB12-ultra and PB12-plus subwoofers soon after that. Just a FYI so someone doesn't get immediate buyers remorse if they ordered now---unaware of the new stuff about to be available.

Tom V.