Which Surround mode on Panasonic SC-BTT400 for sky optical input

Dominic Smith

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought a Panasonic SC-BTT400 Blu-Ray home cinema system. I have connected my sky box via the otical in port and i have various options to pick from for the type of sound i want:

1. Multi Channel out
2. Super surround
3. Dolby Pro Logic II Movie
4. Dolby Pro Logic II Music

I have uplaoded the description from the manual of each of the settings with this post. The sky box outputs Dolby Digital but this isnt one of these 4 options. I think i need to use one of the Dolby Pro Logic II settings but does this mean that i won't get proper Dolby Digital surround as i understand that Dolby Pro Logic II just converts normal stereo sound into 5.1 but is not as good as proper Dolby Digital?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dom

Attachments

• Panasonic instructions.JPG
    Panasonic instructions.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 345
Update: I resolved this. Although it does not state in the instructions, there is an off setting where if you set it to off when using a Dolby Digital input then it will output Dolby Digital.

I also have this system, it plays DVDs fine with sound through all speakers but I only get sound from front speakers when watching TV. Can you tell me what setting to use to get sound from rear speakers as well when watching TV. I have a sky hd box. Any help appreciated.

Dolby Digital is an audio format output by a source and not a mode. There's no need to turn Dolby Digital on and the receiver will automatically recognise the incming format as being Dolby Digital whenever it is present. Not all SKY content is encoded as Dolby Digital 5.1 and the vast majority of TV broadcast are stereo.

Set the mode to Pro Logic II (PLII). This mode will create pseudo surround from stereo sources or will be automatically overridden if discrete 5.1 surround formats such as Dolby Digital 5.1 are detected. Just leave it set to PLII all of the time unless you want to hear stereo sources in stereo.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom