1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which suppliers do dead pixel checks?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fraggle, Jun 28, 2004.

1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    And will swap if there are any?

Thinking of getting either the 42 or 50" PE30 (or another make with built in tuner).

I've luckily gotten away with no dead pixels on anything I own yet (colour phones, 2 laptops, Sony VPL 10HT) so I recon Sods Law is going to make up for it with loads of em right slap bang in the middle of the screen :)

2. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hmm, so either no suppliers do dead pixel checks as standard (I am waiting for one particular supplier to see if they can do this for me) or no ones saying anything?

Come on! Don't be shy! My Twin brother in the basket won't bite you! :)

3. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was guaranteed no dead pixels. Some will do this for you to win the sale, especially if they are similarly priced in a number of retailers.

Best thing to do is ask, and don't forget that its a big favour if they do as 1 or 2 pixels for example can be within the manufacturers spec.

Wazy

4. n0chex

n0chex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Do you not have so many days to cancel any agreement as long as the goods are not damaged and have original packing etc,look in the terms or agreement.

Maybe im wrong here but its worth doing your homework on escpecially if you are going to spend so much of your hard earned cash on a single item .

5. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    TMF check the screens before shipping.

6. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy online or by phone you are protected by the distance selling regulations, you have (I think) seven days within which you can return goods for a full refund. Make sure you have a good look at the screen on arrival and if you spot anything you're unhappy with speak to your supplier about a replacement. If they don't play ball insist on returning the set for a refund and go elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry too much about the odd dead pixel though, especially not on a 50" screen, you'll be sat so far away you won't see it.

7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Does the "full refund" bit apply to the delivery/shipping costs? Reason I ask is that, you may end up paying this 3 times (1st delivery, return for fault and 2nd purchase (either same or different supplier)). And this could come to around £200!

Re pixel checks - when I inquired with AV Sales they said they would charge £20 for the time needed to do this, and NexNix said they could do them on request.

8. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get a pixel test for £20 then I would suggest that's £20 well spent (what do they do with the ones that fail?). As for delivery costs, I believe you will be liable for these. Some retailers offer 'free' delivery, in which case you should be able to argue that you should not be charged anything for returning the set, or you could return it yourself... But yes, you have stumbled upon the main flaw in my otherwise cunning plan.

When I returned my Hitachi Plasma to the retailer I was able to negotiate a free pick-up by waiting until they had a van in my neighbourhood anyway, there's always a deal to be done somewhere.

9. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    You do have 7 days to inform the seller you are returning the goods under the Distance Selling Act but at the moment I'm *extremely* challenged in the getting around department (Iilzarov frame on leg, 240mg morphine a day + loads of other stuff) and even unpacking/packing up something this large would be a big challenge, so I'd rather just avoid the whole chance and buy from somewhere that'll check it for me.

Don't mind paying a little bit extra.

I suppose that places that do this just sell the screens with a few dead pixels to businesses where they're very unlikely to be noticed or bothered about.

Richard

10. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Can plasma dead pixels be stuck on R, G, B or any combination thereof? Or are they just black?

Hmm, I suppose they can be anything, as its the driving transistors that are faulty, not the cell itself if I believe right?

Richard

11. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Going by some posts here, yes dead pixels can be stuck on a colour or just black. I have also read that can suddenly switch back! Just confuses the even more ... but I too would like a new screen to have zero pixel faults, what happens over time is another question ...

12. hammerman

hammerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well,I have one "dead" pixel.....bang in the middle of the screen!...........yet its ok with greens,blues and whites,but is totally dead with reds........dunno whether to laugh or cry.............

13. spiider

spiider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when I bought my PC LCD Nexnix did it for £20 extra....

14. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    This may be a dumb question, but do lcd's suffer from dead pixels!? or is it just plasma displays?

15. spiider

spiider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD certainly..... the more you have the more chance of having dead ones.... on my 17" monitor I have about 4 M of them... on my LCD 20" TV I have only 1M.... so I guess tv are less prone to dead pixels than monitors...

16. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe at TMF does a pixel check and doesn't charge you £20 for the privilege!
    Recommended :)

JP.

17. spiider

spiider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for being ignorant but what shop is TMF ?

18. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
  19. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I believe that's because they sell so many for commercial use. Joe checks out the ones that are destined for home cinema clients and if they have dead pixels puts them in the pile for railway station/airport/museum displays instead. :smashin:

Cheers,
    Liam

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have been known to dead pixel check, but not for a PE model, Fraggle, it'd be a special order for me, I hate them. Has to be a stock item, so I can flog the one with the dead pixels, as has been pointed out, to a business, and one I have is our loan screen. Trouble with this is that once I did it for a forum member, shipped it to him, then he swore there were 3 dead pixels. We took it back, and damn me I couldn't see them, nor could anyone else we called in. Now we have fallen out terminally, I am sorry to say. Could he have wanted a cheap hire arrangement? He paid no shipping in any direction, I'm decidedly down on the deal through no fault of my own. That's why the slight reluctance on the part of retailers.

21. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hate them? Why? (seeing AFAIK they use the same screen as the PWD) Whatever model I get its got to have a tuner built in, and if I can get one with freeview as well, all the better!

Eww, thats not nice. I assume you refunded the guy when you took the screen back for inspection?

If I could travel to collect I certainly would, but at the mo thats out of the question.

I was looking at a few in Costo yesterday, Pioneer 434, Panny 32" LCD and Sony 37" plasma. The Pio and Panny were both being fed from the same DVD player (slimline Sony model), showing the Shrek2 3D DVD (in normal mode :) ) and on both of them on moving parts of the image I could see tearing distortion which made them just about unwatchable (Pio being fed a composite signal, Panny connected via SCART so I assume RGB). This wasn't interlaced tearing, when there was a static part of the image and something moved in front of it and away from it, the static part of the image *looked* like it had interlaced tearing, but it wasn't moving? :confused: Watching an interlaced picture on my Sony VPL VW10HT on a 12' image I've never seen that sort of distortion.

The Sony looked nice physically but I wasn't too impressed with the picture.

I've seen Plasmas and LCDs with lovely images, so I guess Costco staff haven't got a clue about setting up plasmas :)

How many times have dead pixels appeared as a result of transit damage? I.e. you check, all ok, customer says there are, sends back, and there now are dead pixels.

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And what about them then disappearing again? BTW my dislike of inbuilt tuners, any, has more to do with the type of business I go for than any intrinsic fault with the PE30, it's the remote, and how they behave with stuff connected to the AV inputs. BTW the PE30 won't take a hi def signal, and is a bit thick hung on the wall, but the freeview piccy is very nice, so swings and roundabouts, and of course if it's simply a big TV you want, then forget all I've said against it, it's irrelevant. Glad you see my point on pixel checking, they can 'stick' and 'unstick', but in my experience this only happens when they are stuck on a colour, not dead.

23. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    What I mean is do dead pixels only occur as a result of faulty manufacture or can they happen as a result of transit damage?

I'm aware that they can appear over time as borderline driver transistors for a cell go phut, and I know some people say stuck pixels can fix themselves (can only really see this happening for DLP where the mirror gets stuck and frees itself). I agree that three going bad and fixing themselves, all at once, is in the land of flying pigs!

Does the inbuilt tuner in a 42PE30 or 50PV30 degrade a progressive signal fed into the component inputs (for example)?

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Degradation, I don't think so. Pixels dying, usually due to manufacture. 70% of panels are rejected at manufacture anyway. I have not known any die in transit, apart from as mentioned above, which is 'unproven' so to speak, suspicion is not proof, I must give him a bit of benefit of the doubt. At my previous employment we had a hot line in ex-demo/graded fujitsu stock. We supplied a HHA alis panel to a customer once which had 5 dead pixels, sold as such for a good price, which included respraying the bosses 500SL.... I went to push the remote buttons, set it all up after he'd screwed it to the wall, and saw only 3. Next day he called, dead pan, said his screen was not as described. He said he'd paid for one with dead pixels, and he couldn't find them. Originally they were in fact stuck, not dead, but who's complaining. Deserving guy, I was pleased for him.