1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Subwooferwith my Magnepan MG12QR's

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Arian, May 23, 2005.

1. Arian

Arian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody,
    I'm planning to buy a subwoofer that would add some bass to my Magnepan's.
    I've roaming the Net and read a lot but I'm curious what you might think.
    Please give me your opinion.
    My main speakers are Maggie's type MG12QR, I just love my Maggie's but they seem to lack some weight, so that's why I'm going to buy myself a Sybwoofer.
    I'm thinking about puchasing the REL Quake, the MJA Reference 100 or the Velodyne SPL-800 type II.
    What is your opinion.
    I'm drving these speakers with my DENON PMA 1500 MKII and DCD-1450 CD player my speaker interconnect is QED-350XT and I use van den hull interlink between CD and Amp.

2. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Arian and welcome to the forums :)

Like you I also have some maggies and I'm sure you'll agree that they sound fantastic :thumbsup: . I too feel they lack some bass weight especially at lower volumes although my SMGa's seem to have more bass weight when they are cranked up.

Of the subs you listed I have heard only the REL and MJ and if it's the maximum bass weight you are looking for then I would opt for the MJ. The Quake sub, as with all the REL's I've heard, seem to major on clarity at the expense of some bass weight. However knowing maggies :D I personally would opt for the REL as I feel the REL sound would match/integrate better. Also I sincerely feel that with the speed of the magneplanar speakers your money would be better spent on a used sub from REL's ST range, ideally MKIII's, as these are quick and articulate enough for magneplanars aswell as being allot better for music than the compact Quake or MJ. Of course only you can decide which 'sound' you prefer and only a demo will establish that but my money would go on an REL ST.

3. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also if you can stretch to £400 then I would keep an eye out for owners opinions of BK's new Monolith sub as BK are making quite a deal of it's "lack of coloration" which as you know is a strong point of magneplanar's. My only concern being that it has pace enough for maggies although they have included a mosfet amp in this one which should help. I believe they have started shipping so expect opinions quite soon.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with Grinder that if your use is primarily two channel music then REL should be very high on your shortlist and that a second hand Strata or Storm is infinitely better than the Quake for the same budget.

5. Arian

Arian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,
    First, I wish to thank you for these valuable reactions.
    I've been to a dedicated HiFi shop owner in Haarlem, The Netherlands.
    That's near where I live.
    And this man showed me the REL Stampede.
    I made an appointment that I will lend this Stampede somewhere in September this year to audition it's performance in our house together with the Maggie's.
    I'm looking forward, I also will have the opportunity to check the Quake as wel.
    I guess I prefer the REL above the MJA, I don't know why, It's just a feeling.
    The Velodyne's are awesome too, but much to expensive for me (Got a wife and three kids, need I say more ? :) )
    But my wife understands my needs and allows me to have this hobby, other dad's feel a bit jealous because of the fact that I'm allowed to have speakers of such a considerable size in our living room, but hey I don't smoke and have my drinks just once in a while.
    Thursday evening is my fixed music evening, my wife is out for her work at the Shopping Mall, and after finishing our supper I put the kids in bed and in the living I poor a glass of wine or cognac, sit back and have some music... :clap:

Do you happen to know about the REL Stampede ?
    It seems a real good one, what is your opinion ?
    And btw, is there a good interconnection cable available between the sub and my Denon PMA 1500 MKII Amp ?, I prefer the Hi - level connection, the one with the Neutrik plug on the Subwoffers side and the three loose ends on the other, I'm thinking of fixing one from QED cables.

Manny greetings,
    Arian.

6. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Arian but I've never heard the newer line from REL, only the MkIII's and Quake, but there are plenty on here who have. If you haven't already done so use the search engine near the top of these pages to read peoples comments.

Regarding the high level connection yes you can make your own up using any speaker cable you choose but to save you the effort REL dealers stock their own and charge around £30 for it here in the UK. You will in all likelihood get the best results with a DIY version but I don't think there will be much in it as cables tend to have only small differences in sound quality.

7. Arian

Arian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess I'll stick to the Quake..
    My other half likes the Quake because of its size, she really had to get used to the Maggies (their size) but nowadays she really loves their sound.
    She prefers a smaller sub so I have to be careful.
    The so called "FAF" (Female Acceptance Factor) is a very important thing and should not be underestimated ;) .
    Therefore if the Storm III does has a great sound it certainly will take some diplomacy to convince her, I succeeded with the Maggies so I might have a chance :)
    Keep you'll informed.

Arian

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello Arian

It may be worth investigating the TBI Bass Extension units - or TBI Anti Subwoofer as the manufacturer likes to call them!!!

You can use one or two of these active or passive devices - the manufacturer also supplies a power amp that can drive single or twin Bass units.

I've read a fair few reviews of these being used as bass modules for Electrostatic and Planer loudspeakers - and they seem to click with the panel owners.

See http://www.tbisound.com/

Best regards

Joe

9. Arian

Arian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your input. :)
    It is getting quite hard for me to find the proper solution for my Maggie's.
    I did wrote TBI an e-mail and the President himself Jan Plummer wrote
    me back with some suggestions.
    I finally have added both the (passive) Magellan VI su and the (active) Magellan VIP su on my quest to add some umph.. to my Maggie's, not too much, just that little extra.
    Fact is that I can get both the REL Quake and the MJ Acoustics Reference 100 for an audition at our place, no problem.
    Velodyne can be auditioned via the Dutch agent that brings it, instals it and audit it together with you.
    TBI unfortunately doesn't seem to have a selling point here in The Netherlands and that's a pity. :(
    Today I have red the tests and reviews about the subs from BTI.
    They all tell the same thing that TBI seems to be the best solution for electrostatic, planar and other 'fast' speakers.
    But I really have to judge that myself before I will call the States and order one by phone, it's just to darn scary to just 'go for it'.
    Thanks again,
    Arian.

10. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The single biggest improvement I ever heard with the Maggie's was a stand which held the speaker both top and bottom. It transformed the bass in a way that you can get with a decent subwoofer. Obviously it does not go down to 20 Hz but it is (subjectively) very deep.

I cannot remember who made them but if you know someone who is good at metalwork, they would be easy to build

11. Arian

Arian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Londondecca,

Under my Maggie's I've got 'T' shaped standards.
    visualize the following.
    Just turn the 'T' upside down and fix the Maggie to the uprising pole.
    Under this upside down 'T' there are 4 'Soundcare' spikes and the whole
    adds real definition.
    The usual standards are already in a box in our attic.
    Yes I did thought already about a more better way to display the
    Maggie's in our living.
    The upside down 'T' stand makes that the Maggie's stand straight,
    instead of tilted backwards a few degrees with the normal standards.
    Thank you for your reply.
    So what remains is my embark for the real low experience... :)

12. Arian

Arian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    The REL Quake became a good solution.
    I am the proud owner of a set MG12/QR Magnepan's and I was
    searching for a proper solution to add some real lower frequencies
    to my Maggie's as you already knew.
    After a long search, I stumbled into an advertisement from a guy
    who sold his REL Quake... I thought "Why not give it a try" ?
    So I went for a drive that took one and a half hour and after careful
    consideration I decided to give it a go... (it took me € 300 for this second hand Sub and € 35 for petrol costs).
    A day later I found out after calling the shop that this guy bought it only five months ago.. can you believe it !?
    Anyway, I gave this little black (Brittex) box a place next to my right Maggie, and gave it a try.
    Simply wonderful ! no more, no less.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciated it !
    I'll keep on checking if I can help others too !