Which Subwoofer?

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
I have recently purchased Sonus Faber Lumina II's along with a BlueSound Powernode 2i and am looking for some help purchasing a subwoofer to finish off my new 2.1 setup.

This is my first proper Hi-Fi set up, so I don't have much experience/knowledge! The system is being used as part of TV feature wall (room layout attached, ignore the island shown. System being place on the far right wall).

Main focus of the system is music, but it would be nice to have good move performance as well.

Budget is around £400-£550.

The dealer I purchased my speakers from recommended REL and I've seen BK mentioned a lot on here, therefore I've been looking at the following,
  • REL HT/1003
  • RLE HT/1205
  • BK Electronics XXLS400
  • BK Electronics Monolith
  • SVS PB1000
However, as mentioned above I don't have much experience so I am looking for some suggestions!

Attachments

• Layout .jpg
    Layout .jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 55

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I would choose between the REL 1205 or the XXLS400 both similar performance and sealed so more suitable for music than the larger Monolith or SVS which are ported and larger subs which go lower and louder than the other two and a bit more suited to movies.

All the subs will do movies and music but the vented/ported subs give a bit more oomph which you tend to want with high octane movies.

Your room is pretty large though so If you want the ability to crank up the volume the larger vented Monolith/SVS subs would be the better options even consider the Monolith+ model and PB1000 pro.

davidf

Personally, I’m not keen on ported subs, especially for music. They just lack the speed of a sealed sub, and are less room friendly, not to mention bigger!
Sealed subs also have a smoother bass response, whereas ported subs have a lift around the port frequency, and very little below it - sealed just rolls off slowly.
I’d be a little careful with your amp and speaker choice - a low sensitivity, 4ohm loudspeaker isn’t the best match for a small Class D amplifier. Be careful at higher volumes.

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
Personally, I’m not keen on ported subs, especially for music. They just lack the speed of a sealed sub, and are less room friendly, not to mention bigger!
Sealed subs also have a smoother bass response, whereas ported subs have a lift around the port frequency, and very little below it - sealed just rolls off slowly.
I’d be a little careful with your amp and speaker choice - a low sensitivity, 4ohm loudspeaker isn’t the best match for a small Class D amplifier. Be careful at higher volumes.

Hi David, would you recommend a different amp pairing with Sonus Faber speakers?

The dealer recommended the Bluesound however I have not taken delivery of them yet. What's the risk of playing the speakers at a higher volume?

davidf

@GreenGiant1888
I want to make it clear that while I have experience with Sonus Faber, I haven’t heard these particular speakers, I’m going by their stated specifications.
Watts per channel tells part of the story, regardless of amplifier class, with much of it down to how stable the power supply is under load. The difference between a £500 50w amplifier and a £3k 50w amplifier, for example, is quite different. On the face of it, they’re the same power rating, but when driving demanding speakers (usually 4ohms or less), one will struggle as the demands on the power supply outweigh its capabilities (a bit like sticking an average car engine in a track car). This can be further complicated by low sensitivity (in this case, 86dB), which on its own isn’t so too much of an issue.

Adding the sub will help things. If you’re planning to set a crossover point on the PowerNode (say 80Hz for example) for the sub to take over the low bass, this will help ease the load on the PowerNode and give it an easier time, as the bass region is one of the areas which demands more power and control. One thing I would recommend, is looking at the current PowerNode (the 2i is now discontinued) as it has an extra 20wpc over the 2i (now 80wpc). Every little helps.

If you have a large room and like to play loud, I’d certainly recommend a good quality amplifier with some decent power behind it - maybe something like a Cyrus One (to keep costs down) with a Node to add the streaming capabilities. Other options would be available, but that’s just one example.

FRFT

I'd go with bk. If you want big output down to around 20hz you'll want the monolith. For the money, you won't find better for movies, and it's good with music too.

The sealed xxls400 will be better for music, but won't have the same effect with movies if you listen at loud levels.

The platinum sub they make comes in a sealed and passive radiator variant. It might be worth considering one of these too. From what I've read, the sealed platinum is a tad better for movies than the xxls400, but maybe not as tight? Not sure if you'll notice any difference. The platinum does have auto on/off though which is nice, the xxls400 doesn't have this feature as far as I know. The sealed one for "tightness", the passive rad one for movies. But I believe the monolith is actually tighter than the passive rad platinum sub, however it's bigger

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom