1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ajf, Jun 27, 2005.

1. ajf

ajf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got a real 5.1 system nearly complete. Nothing spectacular, just a Denon AVR1802 which I got cheap about 18 months ago plus the following speakers:
    B&W 602 fronts
    B&W CC6 centre (2nd hand!)
    B&W 601 rear (2nd hand again!)

It is setup in my bedroom which is about 4m square.
    What sub is worth considering? Is the Velodyne CHt8 that is being offered on the forums worth a look?
    Not sure what sort of size or power I need with these speakers and room size to make it worth buying.

ALL advice appreciated. I used to follow AV stuff but am a bit out of touch now!

Thanks
    Andrew

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Definatly worth looking at especially at there price :D

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,986
    The big question: What's your budget?:)

4. ajf

ajf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, no specific idea on budget but really as cheap as possible for something decent.
    Given that 2nd hand subs seem to be thin on the ground compared to normal speakers I am prepared to save up and get something new.
    The CHT8 is very temping at the price and is well within acceptable cost for me.
    But is it woth me saving more and going for something like a Rel Quake? That is probably the top end of what I want to spend realistically mainly as I am not a hardcore user :) so any more is pointless I think.
    If I can get something better used I would but even eBay has only a few and the bidding seems to go mad.

Andrew

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If you can afford the Rel Quake then go for the BK XLS200. Any of the Velo Power Buys or Ruark offers from BK would also be a good option - obviously in these cases the more you spend the more you certainly get.

If you can go to about £400 then a whole new market opens up although not one that interested me. Don't discount the second hand market if you're prepared to wait for the right bargain. :)

6. ajf

ajf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the XLS200 you mention:
    http://www.bkelec.com/Special_Offers/sp5.htm
    Not heard of them before but if you say buy it over a Rel I guess they are good! PLus they seem a good bit cheaper!
    £400 is probably more than I would really want to spend to be honest. I think the Quake is around £350 for the black one.
    I am more than happy to buy 2nd hand (just bough my centre and rears that way) but as I said they seem to go for silly prices.
    I am watching a couple on eBay at the moment though so fingers crossed :)

One question about the XLS200 though. I see it has left and right phono connections but my amp just has a single sub out. Is that OK?

Andrew

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yes its usual. Just use the single phono on your amp and usually the left one on the sub.

BK used to built OEM subs for some bigger name manufacturers so know what they are doing and do it very well. Dont forget to keep an eye on the classifieds on this forum.