1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cyrusfan, Jan 23, 2004.

1. cyrusfan

cyrusfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a subwoofer for use with music and also movies. Room size is around 20x12 but has quite abit of furniture already making placement more difficult. My front left/right speaker (Cyrus CLS70) have -3dB point at 50hZ, centre and rears (Cyrus CLS50/50C) have -3dB point at 50hZ. I have a Cyrus AV8 processor that allows a variable crossover to be set for the "small" speakers.

I noticed the SVS seemed to be popular on this site (and very well priced given the current exchange rate) but given it's size it would have to be placed very tight in the corner of room to even get it to fit! About the only alternative position would be behind the sofa but that would sit it directly next to the listening position.

I have also been looking at some smaller box types (or lower profile) which would hide away easier.

What is opinion on the following:

B&W ASW675
    REL StrataIII
    REL Q200E / Q400E
    MJ Acoustics Reference 150

I find it hard to get any real data or be able to compare these models. I did find some graphs and reviews on the B&W which seems quite an acomplished sub (although no distortion figures to compare with the SVS). How do the others compare to that?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I don't believe that you are comparing like with like as SVS are in the Premier league of subs whilst the others are First Division and any of the subs that you have mentioned will perform very poorly against an SVS 20-39 PC Plus (which seems to be the most popular here).

The reason for the disparity is that the SVS is only available through the direct channel thus cutting out the overheads and profits of a UK importer plus the retailer.

A 20-39 PC Plus is currently about £675 all in but if bought via a retailer in this country would probably end up at £1,500.

The SVS will perform louder, deeper and most importantly, cleaner than any of the others in your list but the penalty for the performance is with the size. It does have a small footprint and will stand neatly in a corner but unobtrusive it aint.

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I would agree with Ian that you are not comparing like with like, particularly listing the Rel Q200e. I have one of these and, though I have not heard any of the others perform, I have heard the SVS and in honesty, it's a completely different sub performance wise.

4. cyrusfan

cyrusfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. If the SVS sub was eliminated from the choice due to aesthetics. How would the other subs I listed compare against each other? I can't find many direct comparisions using the search feature of say the B&W vs REL or MJ Acoustics offerings.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I'm sure that Gonzo will be along later. He upgraded from the B&W to an SVS so can tell you exactly the differences between those two.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi cyrusfan
    The B&W asw675 is very good for its size and it does sound good but if you want a sub that blows your wig off with clean loud deep bass go for SVS if i ever upgrade my sub again it will be SVS that will be getting my money they are superb subwoofers worth every penny.Have a look at the box subs that SVS do which now come in a range of wood finishes.
    Hope this helps Gonzo.:)

7. jolly

jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    iam in the market for a new sub this year , does anybody have the website address for svs please

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905