Question Which subwoofer to buy?

Sid959

Novice Member
Dear members,

This is my second post on this forum, meaning there by I am still trying to figure where to post to get the max response. Pardon me if this has been discussed before on this forum somewhere. I have to make a sub-woofer choice (60% movies-40% Music) out of little knowledge (and budget) that I have.Choices are;

1) Paradigm monitor sub 12 ( USD 1000)
2) Martin Logan 1000 dynamo (USD 1100)
3) Polkaudio dsw pro 660 (USD 850)

I know prices are a bit off, but that's how things are in my country with no option of auditioning and getting an ID sub. (I would like to get SVS PB 2000 or HSU sub but that can cost me upwards of USD 2000 if I import).

I will be using it in a room that is (18'W)x(20'L)x(11'H) which is open from one side on the same wall with display.

My modest gear is:
Marantz SR5010
Polk tsx 220B (fronts and surround)
Polk tsx 150c (center)

I would like a deeper frequency response along with tight, punchy and precise bass (is that even possible??) When you help, kindly mention if my receiver will be able to calibrate sub like it does with speakers or if sub will have that feature built in, if you can. And also, what would it mean in terms of RMS power of sub in listening?

Many thanks in advance.

ashenfie

I'm sure if you like music the Paradigm Sub12 would be great and $1000 US? sounds really good value. Not heard the Polk or martin logan so can't comment on those.

Sid959

Novice Member
I'm sure if you like music the Paradigm Sub12 would be great and $1000 US? sounds really good value. Not heard the Polk or martin logan so can't comment on those.

Many thanks for your reply. I had almost lost the hope of getting help here on sub quest. When you say "if I like music", does that imply "if I like movies I will be disappointed with the monitor sub 12"?

P.S: Have already ordered the monitor sub 12. Also got PBK in the same price.

ashenfie

You will not be disappointed. Always a debate but usually a seal unit gives tighter bass, which is important for music and less critical of movies.

Sid959

Novice Member
You will not be disappointed. Always a debate but usually a seal unit gives tighter bass, which is important for music and less critical of movies.

Many thanks again. How low do you suspect will it go for movies? I ask this because i have no prior experience with company given specs and there was no way I could have auditioned it. Just wondering if you can give heads up here.
Thanks.

ashenfie

It would totally depend on your room, but correctly positioned an a medium even large sized room should blow you away.

Spraggle

I have the Monitor Audio Bronze BXW10 sub, in a room that's about 4x5m. It more than fills the room if I turn it up - normally I leave it a lot lower both to let the music breathe and to prevent the walls from vibrating! ;-)

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom