Which subwoofer? REL HT1003 / BK P12-300SB / SVS PB1000

bullencraig

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have the following setup in our front room which we use for both listening to music (metal, rock, drum n bass, trance, reggae, hard style), TV shows (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex, iPlayer, Disney+) and movies (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex, Disney+).

Yamaha RX-V473 5.1 amplifier connected to a Samsung TV via HDMI ARC
Monitor Audio BX2 front speakers on Atacama Apollo stands
Monitor Audio Bronze C150 centre speaker
Monitor Audio BX1 rear speakers on Mission Stanchette stands

We are looking at adding one subwoofer for now and potentially a second one at a later date.

We have a fairly large living room in a mid terraced house which is approx 21ft long from the window to the far wall but it isnt a square shape due to several inlets.
The TV cabinet is set into one of these inlets, the one on the left side of the room has the front left speaker and a cabinet in it and the one on the right side of the room has a IKEA Kallax cabinet with the amplifier on top of it and then the front right speak to the right of it.

The sofa is set back into the large inlet effectively under the stairs. The rear speakers are to the left and right of the sofa on stands.

Front Room.jpg

I have potentially 4 options where I could place a subwoofer.
Option 1 is under the window in a corner.
Option 2 is against a wall just before the inlet where the sofa is.
Option 3 and 4 are in front of the rear speaker stands either side of the sofa.

I was thinking of Option 3 or 4 as that way it will be out of the way of the two dogs we have.

Ive been looking at mainly forward facing subwoofers as the living room floor is vanished floorboards, Im told the floorboards dont connect to the neighbours houses and are contained within our walls.

I cant move any of the furniture along the wall where the TV cabinet and the Kallax cabinet are located and dont really want to put a subwoofer against that wall as it is the joining wall to the next door neighbours house/living room.
Whereas the wall where the sofa is, there is our stairs and then the next door neighbours stairs before their living room.

We listen to music quite loud along with films.

The Monitor Audio BX2's do go quite low for bookshelf speakers (42Hz apparently) but movies seem to be lacking really deep bass and listening to some reggae and DnB tracks seem to be missing something too.

I have a budget of around £400.

So far I have been looking at the following....

* BK SB12-300SB-FF - Seems to get decent reviews, 12" driver, forward facing

* SVS PB1000 - I like the idea of being able to daisy chain with another subwoofer at a later date

* REL HT1003 - Again I like the idea of being able to daisy chain this with another subwoofer at a later date and found a good deal that included the REL wireless kit

As much as I would love to get a BK Monolith the other half is against something that big.

I'm looking for some advice on the best option for the subwoofer and the best placement with the limited options I have.
Also whether the wireless connection work well compared to running an RCA/LFE cable round the room.

Regards

Craig

Hi

I currently have the following setup in our front room which we use for both listening to music (metal, rock, drum n bass, trance, reggae, hard style), TV shows (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex, iPlayer, Disney+) and movies (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex, Disney+).

Yamaha RX-V473 5.1 amplifier connected to a Samsung TV via HDMI ARC
Monitor Audio BX2 front speakers on Atacama Apollo stands
Monitor Audio Bronze C150 centre speaker
Monitor Audio BX1 rear speakers on Mission Stanchette stands

We are looking at adding one subwoofer for now and potentially a second one at a later date.

We have a fairly large living room in a mid terraced house which is approx 21ft long from the window to the far wall but it isnt a square shape due to several inlets.
The TV cabinet is set into one of these inlets, the one on the left side of the room has the front left speaker and a cabinet in it and the one on the right side of the room has a IKEA Kallax cabinet with the amplifier on top of it and then the front right speak to the right of it.

The sofa is set back into the large inlet effectively under the stairs. The rear speakers are to the left and right of the sofa on stands.

View attachment 1628149

I have potentially 4 options where I could place a subwoofer.
Option 1 is under the window in a corner.
Option 2 is against a wall just before the inlet where the sofa is.
Option 3 and 4 are in front of the rear speaker stands either side of the sofa.

I was thinking of Option 3 or 4 as that way it will be out of the way of the two dogs we have.

Ive been looking at mainly forward facing subwoofers as the living room floor is vanished floorboards, Im told the floorboards dont connect to the neighbours houses and are contained within our walls.

I cant move any of the furniture along the wall where the TV cabinet and the Kallax cabinet are located and dont really want to put a subwoofer against that wall as it is the joining wall to the next door neighbours house/living room.
Whereas the wall where the sofa is, there is our stairs and then the next door neighbours stairs before their living room.

We listen to music quite loud along with films.

The Monitor Audio BX2's do go quite low for bookshelf speakers (42Hz apparently) but movies seem to be lacking really deep bass and listening to some reggae and DnB tracks seem to be missing something too.

I have a budget of around £400.

So far I have been looking at the following....

* BK SB12-300SB-FF - Seems to get decent reviews, 12" driver, forward facing

* SVS PB1000 - I like the idea of being able to daisy chain with another subwoofer at a later date

* REL HT1003 - Again I like the idea of being able to daisy chain this with another subwoofer at a later date and found a good deal that included the REL wireless kit

As much as I would love to get a BK Monolith the other half is against something that big.

I'm looking for some advice on the best option for the subwoofer and the best placement with the limited options I have.
Also whether the wireless connection work well compared to running an RCA/LFE cable round the room.

Regards

Craig
You can only daisy chain the Rel HT Predator
1508 and above models i.e S and the Reference series. Call Rel or email them and they will help you.

1003 can be daisy chained. Mine has R & L RCA outputs.

My only concern is you have a good sized room and you’re best to go as big as you can afford, eg HT1205 over 1003.
I started with a 1003 before moving to single, then dual, ported xtz 12.17 edge models.
Had I gone for the 1205 initially, I would probably ended up with dual 1205’s as my longer term solution.
BTW, I’ve got BX6 L&R, these go down to 34Hz and I still love the underpin to bass my edges give me.

You can only daisy chain the Rel HT Predator
1508 and above models i.e S and the Reference series. Call Rel or email them and they will help you.
You can daisy chain the REL HT/1003 and HT/1205 too.
(The HT/1508 is the only one designed to stack on top of each other).

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom